London Fletcher Announces Retirement

thebandit27

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many people remember that he actually won a Super Bowl with the Rams way back in the Greatest Show On Turf era. He's been on some bad teams in the last 12 years or so and the fact that he's started about every single game consecutively is beyond impressive.

The thing I remember and loved about Fletcher the most was how he made everyone around him play better.

Every player on that Buffalo defense played just a little bit better because of that guy. He is a true champion of the game. Few guys play with his passion. Dude was stoked play after play. Really admirable in my opinion. Wish we had someone else on the current Bills team that played with that much passion.

I had season tickets in the tunnel end zone area back in the early 2000s and I remember him coming out before games just being AMPED up and would get the fans all riled up. I wish he could've experienced some success when he was here and seen what its like to play In front of a Buffalo home crowd that has something to be excited about

"Fletcher holds the NFL record for consecutive starts by a linebacker with 213. The four-time Pro Bowler has played in 254 straight games; he's the league's active leader and the fourth player to surpass 250 consecutive games played."

Good luck and a fond farewell to a class act ...on and off the field. Being a Bills fan here in DC, had the distinct pleasure of watching him play for the Bills and the Skins...most of all I respect him for the consecutive start streak and that he is leaving the game while still being a productive player...even though he is mentioned as being a step slower this year, still has 98 tackles and has been an extra "coach" on the field for all these games...congrats Mr. Fletcher!!!

Didn't he deliver the crushing knee to Kolb's head during the preseason same earlier this year?

Things could be different had Kolb not gotten injured. Playoffs anyone?

Don't forget the spear to Fitzpiksix in Toronto. Championship?

Yes. Payback's a B word.

He'll come up just a little short. :) Very good but not great player. I also thought Spikes could have been a HOF type player if he didn't get hurt. He was an animal. Crazy how we wasted a back to back #2 overall defense (with LeBeau coaching a 4-3!).

If only Donahoe allowed Grego to draft Drew Brees ... Perenial superbowl contender life would be great (where is that day dreaming emoticon)

I think he's got plenty on his resume for HOF:

1. Super Bowl winner

2. Last 14 years, at least 116 tackles each year.

3. From span of 2000 - 2009; most tackles in NFL (1,244)

4. Led his respective teams in tackles for past decade

5. Most consecutive games started by LB/Most consecutive games played by a LB

6. NFL 20 sack/20 interception club

7. 4x Pro Bowler

Last but not least, a TRUE CLASS ACT.

I know sometimes the word "compiler" is used in baseball HOF discussions as a negative attribute. For an NFL Mike Linebacker, and the physical beating they take every game, there's no such thing as a "compiler". This guy was a beast. HOF baby.

Edited by bobobonators

"Fletcher holds the NFL record for consecutive starts by a linebacker with 213. The four-time Pro Bowler has played in 254 straight games; he's the league's active leader and the fourth player to surpass 250 consecutive games played."

which as a guy that was undersized at one of the most physical positions around is incredible.

I think he's got plenty on his resume for HOF:

1. Super Bowl winner

2. Last 14 years, at least 116 tackles each year.

3. From span of 2000 - 2009; most tackles in NFL (1,244)

4. Led his respective teams in tackles for past decade

5. Most consecutive games started by LB/Most consecutive games played by a LB

6. NFL 20 sack/20 interception club

7. 4x Pro Bowler

Last but not least, a TRUE CLASS ACT.

I know sometimes the word "compiler" is used in baseball HOF discussions as a negative attribute. For an NFL Mike Linebacker, and the physical beating they take every game, there's no such thing as a "compiler". This guy was a beast. HOF baby.

the only thing that might hurt him is the lack of attention he drew both with sound bites and highlight reel plays. he was a great player but he isnt a guy thats such a household name that people couldnt imagine him not in the hall... as lame as inducting guys based on their espn features is.