Does anybody care about the rest of the season.

So nobody has done it since 1982 huh? Maybe they realized its not a great idea

1982- 1st round Art Schlichter QB Ohio State by Baltimore Colts

1983- 1st round John Elway QB Stanford by Baltimore Colts

1964 - 1st round Bill Munson QB Utah State by Los Angeles Rams

1963 - 1st round Terry Baker QB Oregon State by Los Angeles Rams

1962 - 1st round Roman Gabriel QB North Carolina State by Los Angeles Rams

1957 - 1st round John Brodie QB Stanford by San Francisco 49ers

1956- 1st round Earl Morrall QB Michigan State by San Francisco 49ers

1955 - 1st round George Shaw QB Oregon by Baltimore Colts

1954- 1st round Cotton Davidson QB Baylor by Baltimore Colts

Thanks for compiling that, it's good info.

So one time in the past 50 years and that was when the Broncos had the 1st overall pick in the greatest QB draft class in the history of the sport.

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume no modern franchise will be doing it any time soon.

how come nobody complains when a team has two #1 WR's, RB's, TE's, OT's, LB's, DL's or CB's ??

but have two #1 QB's and you are crazy ??

We've seen Bills fans bash the organization over and over again for continuing to use 1st round picks on new RBs. As for all those other positions - probably because there are multiple starters at each position...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

denver loses all world LT ryan Clady and they keep on clicking...

denver loses Peyton Manning and their season is over.

nine quarterbacks went on injured reserve in the first 10 weeks of this season.

ask Green Bay how important a backup QB is.

we aren't even sure if EJ is a Top 20 QB.

i think it's smart to invest big in a second QB.

Now that the bills playoff chances are done, I don't put as much emotion into the games. So if that's what you mean by care, sure. But I think every game is important especially for a young team like this. If they win 3 of 4 and Manuel looks good, I'll feel very good about heading into next season. So in that's sense, yes I care.

So nobody has done it since 1982 huh? Maybe they realized its not a great idea

I'm not advocating one way or the other, just pointing out a logical flaw. For at least as far back as the early 90s there's been a steep price tag on 1st rd QBs. That dynamic has just changed w/ rookie pay scale, so your 30 year sample is really more like a 3 year sample.

Doesn't change the fact that Schaub is not a bust in any way.

I agree....but what a club gives up to acquire a player has 'value' and shapes the way a player is viewed (fairly or unfairly). I, like you, don't view him as a bust. I was just pointing out they gave up a good bit more than a 3rd to make him their starting qb.

Schaub was a 3rd round pick and Houston got some good years out of him. Hardly a bust.

Guess guys with 5 straight seasons with a 90+ quarterback rating, 3 seasons with over 4,000 yards passing(once leading the league with 4770), and 2 pro bowls are now busts...I think I'll just go bang my head against the wall now...

I think I'd sign up for that considering we haven't had a QB post a 90+ rating for a season in oh, about 20 years now...

Schaub is the perfect example of what concerns me: a good to very good QB who gets you oh-so-close but never seems to take you all the way. In some ways, these types of QBs are the worst to have as they keep tantalizing you, keep you thinking "one more year." At least with the Losman/Edwards types, it was clear pretty quickly that they would never take the Bills to the "promised land." I'm hoping that EJ shines the rest of the season and becomes that elusive "franchise QB." But so far I'm afraid that he's going to fall exactly in that Schaub area of "close, but no cigar."

I'm not advocating one way or the other, just pointing out a logical flaw. For at least as far back as the early 90s there's been a steep price tag on 1st rd QBs. That dynamic has just changed w/ rookie pay scale, so your 30 year sample is really more like a 3 year sample.

You get 4 years max to build a winning team. Why would you keep starting over at the most important position?

With very little playoff hope in sight, what happens now is the Bills turn spoiler against the better teams. A Patriots win maybe?

Anyway, now these players see themselves as playing for a job next year. Nobody really knows if Marrone will be retained if the Bills finish the year at 4-12, except Russ Brandon.

We have dinner as a family Sundays and watch the Bills game. Sixteen very enjoyable dinners, win or lose (but we prefer win ;) ) that I very much look forward to.

I never expected playoffs this season. And a sports team, any sports team, winning or losing does not disrupt my day, let alone my life. So yeah I care, but not at a unhealthy level.

For a team that does not know how to close these games are critical. The team needs to learn how to make plays and win.

I see some similarities between us this year and Carolina the last year or so. If they figure it out they could end up being a very exciting team.

Schaub is the perfect example of what concerns me: a good to very good QB who gets you oh-so-close but never seems to take you all the way. In some ways, these types of QBs are the worst to have as they keep tantalizing you, keep you thinking "one more year." At least with the Losman/Edwards types, it was clear pretty quickly that they would never take the Bills to the "promised land." I'm hoping that EJ shines the rest of the season and becomes that elusive "franchise QB." But so far I'm afraid that he's going to fall exactly in that Schaub area of "close, but no cigar."

EJ would be lucky to be like Shaub. In any event, your general point is correct. You need a guy who is going to go out there and sling the thing all over the place and you hope he puts some seasons together where he doesn't turn it over. That guy is not EJ.

Edited by SameOldBills

I care but another 6-10 season doesn't help their draft position. They are headed in the right direction with Kiko, Woods and Goodwin.

The ugly game vs the steelers and fumbleitis vs the falcons were real stinkers.

I'll listen to the game on internet radio while putting up the christmas lights.