Dan

Week 13: Atlanta Falcons at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, December 1, 2013 at 4:05pm

in Toronto

TV Network: Fox (TV Map)

Announcers: Dick Stockton and Rhonde Barber

DirecTV: 711

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 92

=================================================================

Game Preview:

The Falcons (2-9) went 13-3 and hosted the NFC championship game in 2012, but they'll finish this season under .500 for the first time since going 4-12 in 2007, leading them to take Ryan with the third overall pick.

The Bills (4-7) ended a three-game losing streak and are anticipating receivers Stevie Johnson (groin) and Robert Woods (ankle) back after resting during the bye.

"I was very happy with the players coming back and their enthusiasm running around," coach Doug Marrone said. "We're at full strength. We don't expect anybody not to be available to us, which is a good sign."

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 13 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

Coach Mike Smith details his three keys to a Falcons victory.

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:    Bills            Falcons

Total Yds/Game.... 331.1         348.2

Total Rush............. 134.1           74.7

Total Pass............. 197.0         273.5

Points/Game..........  21.5           20.6

Time of Poss..........  28.2           29.3

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 347.8         381.2

Rush Yards........... 118.8         130.0

Pass Yards........... 229.0         251.2

Points Allowed........ 24.8           28.1

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Johnson, Stevie      WR            Groin              FP        FP      FP           Probable

Robey, Nickell         DB             Ankle             FP        FP      FP            Probable

Williams, Kyle          DL             Back                --         --      DNP         Questionable

Woods, Robert        WR            Ankle              FP       FP      FP            Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Atlanta Falcons

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Dent, Akeem              LB           Ankle              LP       LP      LP         Questionable

Gonzalez, Tony         TE            Toe                LP       LP      LP         Questionable

Goodman, Malliciah   DE           Calf                LP       LP      LP         Questionable

Motta, Zeke                S             Hand              LP       LP      LP         Questionable

Trufant, Desmond      CB           Thigh             LP       FP      FP         Probable

Weatherspoon, Sean LB      Shoulder/Knee    LP       FP      LP         Questionable

Source: AtlantaFalcons.com

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Bills -3.5

Over/Under: 46

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

We finally get football back.  What's more... we get the healthiest team we've seen since week 1.  Seriously, when was the last time we went into week 13 with no major injuries (save Kyle's back)?  It'll be interesting to see how they all play.

By the stats and the record, Atlanta should be an easy win. But we all know there are no easy wins in the NFL. And with a QB like Matt Ryan, Atlanta is a dangerous team.  So, for me, the key to the game will be our defensive line.  They need to pressure Ryan so he doesn't get back on track with a 300+ yard game, while holding their run game in check.  If we do that, I finally feel confident our offense will do enough to get the win.

What I'll be watching:

1. The defensive line and backfield. Hopefully, they keep the Falcon passing game in check.

2. Kiko. Let's hope the bye week gave him enough rest to avoid the rookie wall and he can help shout down any run game on his way to a DROY nomination.

3. EJ Manuel. Yeah, he had a solid game 2 weeks ago but can he continue playing well? I'd like to see an efficient, smart game from the rookie 2 weeks in a row.

4. CJ Spiller.  It'd be nice to see him play like the Spiller of 2012 for at least one game. If not now, against this defense, then when?

5. The Toronto crowd.  Will they ever show any enthusiam in supporting the Bills? Hopefully, this feels more like a Bills home game than an exhibition match.

Go Bills!!

Edited by Dan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who do you guys figure they'll play if Kyle Williams is unable to go ?

EDIT: Hey Dan, the NFL.com preview you posted is the week 11 game vs. the Jets. Just a heads up, and thanks again for starting the thread.

Edited by jaybee

My main concern is the two week layoff EJ has had since his rebound game vs. the Jest. Seems his season has been one of fits and starts more than a steady progression with the expected speed bumps in the way. As we've seen against the Phins and Jest, the two week layoff can result in a team coming out flat. Heck, we saw that from N.O. as well. We've got to be high energy from the opening kickoff and serve immediate notice to a dispirited team officially eliminated from the playoffs. Step on their throats from the get-go.

GO BILLS!!!

The only hesistancy I have in picking a comfortable Bills win is not wanting to be burned for being over confident. But, after reminding myself that what I predict has absolutely nothing to do with the result, I say Bills 28 Falcons 17.

The Falcons have a superior passing game overall, but the Bills have a better run game and a better defense both with the run and pass. The Bills are also a much better team with turnovers, and I expect them to win that battle today to neutralize any advantage ATL has in the passing game. The Bills also have much more to play for right now, as the Falcons are completely out of the playoff hunt and there was even a report this week that they could be playing some rookies more to see what they have for next year. If there is any truth that this will be garbage time from the opening snap for ATL, the Bills have no excuse but to win convincingly.

With the Jets-Fins at 1 pm, we have a great day of football lined up! Go Bills!

So according to the TV listings, in Utica the double header game is CBS, which shows AFC games. This game is on Fox since it is an NFC team visiting an AFC team (I think that's how it works). The end result: This game is not televised in the Utica area. Fox has us seeing Arizona at Philadelphia for the early game, and no late game. I hope that is a mistake in the listings, but this has happened before so I won't be surprised if it happens again.

The only hesistancy I have in picking a comfortable Bills win is not wanting to be burned for being over confident. But, after reminding myself that what I predict has absolutely nothing to do with the result, I say Bills 28 Falcons 17.

The Falcons have a superior passing game overall, but the Bills have a better run game and a better defense both with the run and pass. The Bills are also a much better team with turnovers, and I expect them to win that battle today to neutralize any advantage ATL has in the passing game. The Bills also have much more to play for right now, as the Falcons are completely out of the playoff hunt and there was even a report this week that they could be playing some rookies more to see what they have for next year. If there is any truth that this will be garbage time from the opening snap for ATL, the Bills have no excuse but to win convincingly.

With the Jets-Fins at 1 pm, we have a great day of football lined up! Go Bills!

Even though that game's relevant to the Bills, I think it'll be a really bad one to watch.

Can I just go on record saying how much I hate 4 pm start times? thank you.

Me too. I did not realize todays game is at 4:00 until I opened this thread. This changes the whole day's plan - buying/setting up/decorating our Christmas tree. I guess I better get moving. Ugh, kids aren't even out of bed yet.

Not a fan of 4:00 starts either. The only good thing about it is there are fewer 4:00/4:3-0 games so more time on RZ channel. I won't get the game here so that helps. But the last 4:00 game they played was in NJ and the bitter taste is still in my mouth from that game. Hope they can turn around the late game trend!!

DT Stefan Charles is listed as the backup for Kyle Williams. His hometown is Toronto, good time and PR to let him play.

He has looked good, hope KW can go and maybe just rotate in Charles as needed. ATL has a patchwork OL so we'll see if he can be OK in a rotation,

No you can not! Coach is sick and tired of listening to complaining. No complaining about home field advantage, no complaining about weather condition advantages. No complaining about start time.

Even though that game's relevant to the Bills, I think it'll be a really bad one to watch.

Yep. For Atlanta!

I live on the west coast and I hate them only because I hate that Bills game anticipation stretching out an extra 3 hours. Otherwise I like them. Feel for you east folks, though.

Here's hoping the healthy squad can get some serious momentum going starting now!