Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

I don't think it was intentional at all.

He was stationed there before the play evolved into taking place on that particular area of the field.

A more accurate quote, from me to you, would be:

"So there are people there that think Mike Tomlin can diagnose the future, and stationed himself at the exact angle where it would be advantageous for the coverage man to intersect with the return man, should the return man veer 6 inches to the right to avoid Mike Tomlin? It's always fun to have your opinions shaped by the media, I guess."

I don't think he anticipated that the players would intersect at that point. I do believe he knew he was where he shouldn't be, and stayed there intentionally when he saw that the play was headed towards him.

If you search my posts, you will see that I criticize the media for over blowing all kinds of incidents. My opinion was formed as I watched the game, before any media (aside from the TV commentary, which didn't influence my interpretation of what I saw) had a chance to shape my opinion.

flourine, uranium, carbon, potassium yttrium, oxygen, uranium, Johnny Au.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, I was referring to it happening during a play.

It's possible for it to happen without there being 2 warnings given, so why mention the warnings?

Because the refs will probably hand out about 8 times as many warnings this week as usual?

Might even see a flag without any interference?

Or simply to share part of the rule most don't likely realize in advance of people rioting for flags every time someone steps on the line?

What, the jumbotron showed him NOT in the way of the play?

Incredibly lame excuse.

Maybe they will ask for help from the city to get a larger, hi def one with better sight lines to help prevent these fiascos.

Seriously though... If you take him at his word, can you imagine the voice in his head -- "uh oh... Get him... Oh no he's gonna score… wait - who's that idiot on the field?!? Is that john mitchell(asst head coach)?!? John why are you on the field?!? Move! What's all this noise behind me? Wait- is that me on the field?!?!?"

Edited by NoSaint

I hope they suspend him for the rest of the season (Which I know wont happen). I cant stand the Steelers and their super annoying fans. That was a real cheap move by Tomlin. Wish Jacoby Jones would of ran him over and taught him a good lesson

That would have been great.

There isn't the slightest question it was entirely intentional. Tomlin should get a multi-game suspension at a minimum. Of course he'll get nothing but a token fine.

Seriously though... If you take him at his word, can you imagine the voice in his head -- "uh oh... Get him... Oh no he's gonna score… wait - who's that idiot on the field?!? Is that john mitchell(asst head coach)?!? John why are you on the field?!? Move! What's all this noise behind me? Wait- is that me on the field?!?!?"

It's a great idea but we have to do it in Tomlin's voice:

"OK, big men on blades of grass...... C'mon 11, live in your hopes, not your fears......ummmm.... one of them is moving in a very fluid manner......we need better ambient flow and good competitional contact...... do not let him do what he has done to us time and time again, we've been dead Indians in his cowboy movie enough......I think it's time to be thoughtfully non-rhythmic here..... perhaps this will create oppositional negativity in the return game...... OK, attending to detail and execution........got yer ass muthafu.........."

No, I think he really doesn't know how to respond.....

I think my joke might have been a bit too subtle.

He responded by saying that he didn't know how to respond....thus it was untrue as he had already responded....

Okay....wasn't worth the effort. :bag:

Good point, Cerebus.

Why thank you, guy covered in snow with hoodie. :)

Watching that over and over... Tomlin did NOT break the stride of number 12. It seems the Ravens player doesn't even know he exists and would have been caught no matter what!

Watching that over and over... Tomlin did NOT break the stride of number 12. It seems the Ravens player doesn't even know he exists and would have been caught no matter what!

Explaining that over and over you feel that Tomlin did NOT break the stride of number 12.

Because the refs will probably hand out about 8 times as many warnings this week as usual?

Might even see a flag without any interference?

Or simply to share part of the rule most don't likely realize in advance of people rioting for flags every time someone steps on the line?

Okay, but the way you posted the rule, it undercut the point I was trying to make. Those are two different situations.

Tomlin's intent and even to a great extent the effect on the play does not matter. This non-player should not have been in the field of play (or even near it since the rule calls for him to not even touch the white line when play is occurring.

It's a great idea but we have to do it in Tomlin's voice:

"OK, big men on blades of grass...... C'mon 11, live in your hopes, not your fears......ummmm.... one of them is moving in a very fluid manner......we need better ambient flow and good competitional contact...... do not let him do what he has done to us time and time again, we've been dead Indians in his cowboy movie enough......I think it's time to be thoughtfully non-rhythmic here..... perhaps this will create oppositional negativity in the return game...... OK, attending to detail and execution........got yer ass muthafu.........."

Fantastic.

Okay, but the way you posted the rule, it undercut the point I was trying to make. Those are two different situations.

Not my intent. I guess i glossed over the point and simply generalized it to the refs will be all over coaches about it. Figured I'd toss out the actual rule for 99.9% of plays that don't end up running right at the head coach with him standing in the field of play. No harm meant.

Edited by NoSaint

Allow me to shift the ersatz outrage to an actual blown call: http://deadspin.com/why-wasnt-unconscious-leveon-bell-given-a-touchdown-1473526403

Also, as I asked upstream, why no penalty for the decapitation?

That was all the right call which is why no one cares about it, well except the tabloid deadspin.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Allow me to shift the ersatz outrage to an actual blown call: http://deadspin.com/...down-1473526403

Also, as I asked upstream, why no penalty for the decapitation?

How was the call blown? According to the article the rules were applied correctly. Where the refs supposed to 'just give it to him' because it happened on the goal line and he's a nice kid who took a big hit?

Also, what penalty do you think should have been called?