Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't. I think he watched the return on the screen and acted, since his back was turned, like he didn't realize till the last second that he was in the path of the runner. Does anyone know if Pittsgurg could have been flaged for too many men on the field even if the twelfth man was the head coach and not a player?

It should've been a 15 yarder, and the refs could've awarded the touchdown. 12 men is the least of his concerns, if the refs call it like they should've.

No way that guy scores either way. Defender had the angle on him before he (minimally) changed direction. This is manufactured outrage

What should have been called was the helmet to head that knocked the Steelers RBs helmet off at the goal line.

No way should he have been awarded the TD on that play, if the play was close enough that a slight move to the right was enough to slow him down that a steeler could catch up and tackle him, then he was not free and clear of scoring a TD. A penalty for him being on the field or for too many men would have been the right call with Tomlin getting some sort of fine also. I saw him a few times in the background on other plays and he was standing in the white or with parts of his feet/toes on the field, but it was behind his offence.

I don't think it was intentional, He didn't run down the field and go out onto the field, or step out as the guy was coming towards him, he was standing there for a while watching the screen, but thats not to say he should be penalized or fined for it.

I really think they should put up walls, or boards along the edge of the field of play like hockey boards, but padded like baseball fields. Keeps the coaches off the field, and makes it much easier to determine when someone is "Out of Bounds". I really hate watching these replays of some great catches along the sidelines that get called back cause a players toenail was on the white sideline during the play.

The Steelers were paid back when they called off the touchdown twice in the last 2 minutes (felt bad for Bell that they called his back cause his helmet came while falling into the endzone and he wasn't in the second it came off), and then having the WR drop the one TD and the 2pt convert.

End result was good for me, I needed either team to win by 3 or less

the incident where One of the coaches tripped a dolphin gunner on a punt return?

Thats the one everyones refering to, and that one was visibly intentional

A bit of an exageration? The coach can be anywhere on the other side of the white line, he was less then a step over it onto the field

No. He was supposed to be on the other side of the 6 foot wide white zone. He had a foot in the field of play.

Too many men on the field? Are you serious? It should've been an unsportsmanlike penalty. 15 yards added from the end of the run.

No way that guy scores either way. Defender had the angle on him before he (minimally) changed direction. This is manufactured outrage

What should have been called was the helmet to head that knocked the Steelers RBs helmet off at the goal line.

Forever the Contrarian. :lol:

A bit of an exageration? The coach can be anywhere on the other side of the white line, he was less then a step over it onto the field

The sidelines are 6 feet wide. He shouldn't be touching them, yet alone the actual field. Though it's often a bent rule, 8 feet further than he should be is pretty close to accurate

I don't know how the official who had to dodge Tomlin doesn't throw a flag there. But imagine if Tomlin had contacted the official. That would have been fun.

BS play: either he intentionally got in the way (my reading), or he forgot he was on the sidelines of a football game where large men are running around at full speed just a few feet away. Neither of these options say anything good about Tomlin, and no other reading is possible, IMO. There is no way to argue he had a legitimate reason to end up on the inside edge of the white stripe while play was approaching.

I think a suspension is warranted, but imagine it will be a fine. I just hope it is a big one.

kj

No way should he have been awarded the TD on that play, if the play was close enough that a slight move to the right was enough to slow him down that a steeler could catch up and tackle him, then he was not free and clear of scoring a TD. A penalty for him being on the field or for too many men would have been the right call with Tomlin getting some sort of fine also.

What Tomlin did is much different than 12 men on the field or illegal participation. It's a flagrant form of cheating that becomes an integrity of the game issue. I believe the Ravens should have been awarded a TD; even if it's impossible to prove that Jones would have scored on the play, it's impossible to say he wouldn't have scored on the play, either, and the cheaters don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I still can't believe there was no flag flown. The ref damn near collided with Tomlin on his way down the sideline.

What Tomlin did is much different than 12 men on the field or illegal participation. It's a flagrant form of cheating that becomes an integrity of the game issue. I believe the Ravens should have been awarded a TD; even if it's impossible to prove that Jones would have scored on the play, it's impossible to say he wouldn't have scored on the play, either, and the cheaters don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I still can't believe there was no flag flown. The ref damn near collided with Tomlin on his way down the sideline.

Good take.

Good points: The penalty for this kind of cheating shouldn't restore the situation that would have happened if the cheating hadn't occurred, it should be a penalty that is large enough to ensure that it never happens. So walk off the penalty, and Tomlin will be 8 feet back of the white line for the rest of his career.

(Also why Belichick should have been suspended for a season for his cheating ways: it isn't about undoing any advantage gained, it's about making sure no one thinks about doing that.)

kj

The white line isn't the field of play but it shows a lack of character pulling that busch league stuff.

he was across it with his foot partially in bounds, and technically he shouldnt have even been on it.

Good points: The penalty for this kind of cheating shouldn't restore the situation that would have happened if the cheating hadn't occurred, it should be a penalty that is large enough to ensure that it never happens. So walk off the penalty, and Tomlin will be 8 feet back of the white line for the rest of his career.

(Also why Belichick should have been suspended for a season for his cheating ways: it isn't about undoing any advantage gained, it's about making sure no one thinks about doing that.)

kj

i dont know that i feel quite as strongly, but i do generally agree with your train of thought. in this case, if you ask me what it shouldve been based on what i think the rules should be (and set aside what they are or was called) I would say that it shouldve been 7 points and getting tossed for the remainder of the game, big fine and let him return next week.