Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomlin was lost in thought, wondering whether he'd get a little somfin somfin after the game if the Steelers lost. Next thing he knows he hears Jones rip snorting right behind him and he jumped out of the way.

Really, go through it and explain the critical points of the play, and Tomlin's actions, as you interpreted them.

Really, go through it and explain the critical points of the play, and Tomlin's actions, as you interpreted them.

Really, I think he was watching the play on the jumbotron, saw himself (perhaps) on the jumbotron and said to himself (possibly) "****, I better get out of the way!" Why he was standing there in the first place I have no knowledge of. Nothing you say will change my opinion and nothing I say will change yours. That's OK.

Really, I think he was watching the play on the jumbotron, saw himself (perhaps) on the jumbotron and said to himself (possibly) "****, I better get out of the way!" Why he was standing there in the first place I have no knowledge of. Nothing you say will change my opinion and nothing I say will change yours. That's OK.

So you are dug in, no?

So there is no room for reasoning with you at this point, no chance to point out something you may have missed, no room for reconsidering, huh?

Or is it just nothing that comes from me will change your opinion?

You're not allowed to stand on the sideline marker. The ref had to run around him which alone should have drawn a flag.

I believe the Jets game this past Sunday had an assistant coach called because he impeded the referee running down the sideline.

From Jets-Ravens:

4th and 6 at NYJ 35 (Punt formation) R.Quigley punts 48 yards to BLT 17, Center-T.Purdum. J.Jones ran ob at NYJ 46 for 37 yards (R.Quigley). PENALTY on NYJ, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at NYJ 46. Jets bench penalized for interfering with officials. Key block by #91 BLT Courtney Upshaw    

Agree with all those rational thinkers who realize that Tomlin did this intentionally, and he should be heavily fined. Those arguing the that Tomlin's bush league move had NO impact on the play is laughable. As already stated in here, he stepped to his right to intentionally get CLOSER to JJ, instead of stepping to his left to get out of the way. A TD could have easily been awarded, and Pittsburgh would have NO argument....NONE.

But that his right as long as he doesn't get on the field and touch. Now, I didn't know of the white zone rule... But the Zebra had no problem following the play.

Isn't what he did kinda like the people in the stands behind a free-thrower in basketball? More of a game of chicken and intimidation... Yeah Bush League, but surely entertaining! Ever see a Bills coach do that for his team? IMO, I still don't think it made the Pitt guy able to tackle the runner... It was the gr8 tackle that decided that play... I see no where his stride was broken. If there is, please show me when. The cut back was to get away from 28, not Tomlin.

You're not allowed to stand on the sideline marker. The ref had to run around him which alone should have drawn a flag.

I believe the Jets game this past Sunday had an assistant coach called because he impeded the referee running down the sideline.

From Jets-Ravens:

4th and 6 at NYJ 35 (Punt formation) R.Quigley punts 48 yards to BLT 17, Center-T.Purdum. J.Jones ran ob at NYJ 46 for 37 yards (R.Quigley). PENALTY on NYJ, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yards, enforced at NYJ 46. Jets bench penalized for interfering with officials. Key block by #91 BLT Courtney Upshaw

But it didn't seem to PO the ref. Now, if there is a bunch of legged lock team members... I can see.

Just a bit of history. Early on games like baseball even had this... 19th century ball, the home fans would stand and "guard" the foul lines! LoL... That had to be something to see in a rough and tumble society.

So you are dug in, no?

So there is no room for reasoning with you at this point, no chance to point out something you may have missed, no room for reconsidering, huh?

I think his point is that no one other than Tomlin knows what exactly was going through his mind at the time.

From pft:

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the NFL is considering a six-figure fine for the Steelers and Tomlin. Per multiple reports, there’s also a chance that the league will strip one or more draft picks from the Steelers.

From pft:

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the NFL is considering a six-figure fine for the Steelers and Tomlin. Per multiple reports, there’s also a chance that the league will strip one or more draft picks from the Steelers.

I think a draft pick would be a bit too much, but certainly a $100,000 fine would see justice served. Or, a one game suspension. Whatever is more money forfeited.

I think his point is that no one other than Tomlin knows what exactly was going through his mind at the time.

True, but we can nonetheless make reasonable conclusions based on the facts and circumstances. Our legal system, for example, does that all the time. Just because we can't be absolutely sure what his intent was does not mean he should not be severely punished. Edited by mannc

It is technology and how people use it! Tomlin's got the 2-way WIRELESS headset, he can go anywhere to "get away" from the clusterphuck of the "sideline office." So he chooses to find physical peace on the sideline AWAY from the team/group on sideline... LoL... Watching the JumboTron. It is kinda horsesh*t... Put it is what it is. Tech is such a crutch. @ work we have a big GPS monitor tied to Google Earth Pro... New Guys coming in are glued to it and watching a boat... Then all of a sudden they say: "He's here? Huh?" A, yep! You were glued to the monitor and NOT watching what is going on outside the window! Sure there is lag... But what I am saying is certain judgements are being lost w/the aid of tech. I am not against tech, but use it for what it is worth and realized the limitations.

I think the first thing they can do to bring these "solace" seeking HC's back to their group is go back to the corded headset with teenage kid taking up the slack.

I do feel for Tomlin... You are on the headset, chatter all over... Some people need less physical distraction. My wife works from home lots of times and gets more done than being in the office! I betcha, it is kinda of the same for Tomlin... That is why he tends to drift off and find his "peaceful center" to conduct the show!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

So you are dug in, no?

OK, tell you what, give it a try. List all the reasons you believe it was intentional.

One thing every coach in the NFL knows is that you don't turn your back to the field of play. Not unless you want to risk the chance of getting lit up on the sidelines and leaving on a cart.

Tomlin knew exactly what he was doing, which is evident in him peeking over his shoulder and laughing about it later. Forrtunately Goodell is going to teach him a lesson.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

True, but we can nonetheless make reasonable conclusions based on the facts and circumstances. Our legal system, for example, does that all the time. Just because we can't be absolutely sure what his intent was does not mean he should not be severely punished.

What facts do you possess that makes you think (I assume this is what you think) it was intentional?

Hold on, you seriously believe Tomlin's big lie? Notice in this gif that there's NO surprise look on his face (he doesn't even open his mouth which is an involuntary reaction), he's clutching his wireless box while he's STILL standing straight up and looking backwards, he sidesteps (doesn't jump) in a preplanned manner...

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3649413/tomlinhop2.gif

Tomlin should own up to his actions and apologize for not only doing that, but then lying about it. The Steelers organization has officially become cheap shot garbage organization no better than the Lions. It's too bad that the clowns on ESPN and some fans hold Tomlin in such high regard that they're willing to provide cover for his cheating and lying. I used to look up to the Steelers organization, not anymore.

Hold on, you seriously believe Tomlin's big lie? Notice in this gif that there's NO surprise look on his face (he doesn't even open his mouth which is an involuntary reaction), he's clutching his wireless box while he's STILL standing straight up and looking backwards, he sidesteps (doesn't jump) in a preplanned manner...

http://cdn3.sbnation.../tomlinhop2.gif

Tomlin should own up to his actions and apologize for not only doing that, but then lying about it. The Steelers organization has officially become cheap shot garbage organization no better than the Lions. It's too bad that the clowns on ESPN and some fans hold Tomlin in such high regard that they're willing to provide cover for his cheating and lying. I used to look up to the Steelers organization, not anymore.

If I ever find myself in court I really hope you're not one of my 12 peers that will judge me.

http://cdn3.sbnation.../tomlinhop2.gif

YES! He knows exactly what is going on... He's the coach... The chatter is going off in headset. He is running the show, he is gonna move on his terms and if not, @ the last possible second, which he did! What's the problem? Again, it had the potential to affect the play, IMO, it didn't... And he looked cool and calm doing it! Win-win for him and whine-whine for the haters that want everything sterile!