Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

Yeah but there was no contact, so the league would say he's a liar regarding intent if they took away picks. It's just a wildly disproportionate penalty for what he did.

He will get a fine and everyone will forget this atrocity in a week.

I agree, generally on what the outcome will likely be. If they look and he glanced down positioning himself though, I'm not going to cry over a mid rounder getting docked. It's very possible to prove he knew where he was, depending on what he did leading up.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomlin CHEATED INTENTIONALLY !!!

i'm expecting a HUGE fine....$100,000 - $250,000

NFL mulling big fine for Mike Tomlin:

The NFL is expected to consider six-figure fines for Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers organization and also is expected to consider taking away a draft pick from the team, a source familiar with the league's thinking told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10063295/nfl-expected-consider-fining-mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-six-figures-stepping-field-baltimore-ravens

NFL mulling big fine for Mike Tomlin:

The NFL is expected to consider six-figure fines for Pittsburgh head coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers organization and also is expected to consider taking away a draft pick from the team, a source familiar with the league's thinking told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/n...altimore-ravens

Posted this morning.

I am absolutely convinced that there was no intent on Tomlin's part whatsoever.

Why? Because he is a HC of an NFL team who has coached a gazillion games before. If he committed the offense with premeditated determination, is there anybody who could possibly then believe that he would not have been fully aware of the consequences that would be incurred due to the act?

He would have know that....

If he pulled back in time so as to not interfere with the play.....then regardless of the plays outcome, his team would incur a penalty and that he would very likely incur a fine.

If he pulled back as he did where he slightly interfered with the play......then again, regardless of the plays outcome, his team would incur a penalty and he would definitely incur a fine, if not a suspension.

If he misjudged his step back and accidentally makes contact with the player.....then yet again, regardless of the plays outcome, his team would incur a penalty(possibly being awarded the TD to the opposition) and he would definitely incur a huge fine, a suspension, and see his legacy as a winning NFL HC destroyed.

With certain knowledge that his action could only end in a bad result for his team and himself......I can't see how there is any possibility that he would consciously put himself in such a position.

Edited by Dibs

So, I talked to some of my Steelers' fan friends today, and they thought it was intentional.

I guess some of the beat writers were able to see the extended footage, and Tomlin noticeably and quite unnaturally starts creaping to the sideline.

with the draft pick rumors starting yesterday, and even the possibility of multiple being included in the reports... my gut said that tape showed something more than him simply walking back to the sideline and getting distracted somehow. im surprised we are still without the extended cuts.

There's some new video out that clearly shows what Tomlin was up to. Such a shame, I like him as a coach but he clearly was trying to interfere with the play. That's not a step someone makes so they can see the jumbotron, that's a step someone takes to block a path.

http://pittsburgh.cb...ers-punishment/

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

There's some new video out that clearly shows what Tomlin was up to. Such a shame, I like him as a coach but he clearly was trying to interfere with the play. That's not a step someone makes so they can see the jumbotron, that's a step someone takes to block a path.

http://pittsburgh.cb...ers-punishment/

I still can't definitively say he is intentionally interfering with the play. It is so friggin strange watching it unfold, I just can't believe he meant to do what he did.

On the other hand, I mean, I suppose it's possible that he instinctively did it without giving it any rational thought - just a complete brainfart without any consideration for the consequences of his action.

Again - just really weird stuff there.

Something new (to me anyway) from the linked text, not the video:

The league had warned teams about sideline interference the day before the Tomlin incident, so that could play into their punishment.

That won't work in his favor at all.

kj

I still can't definitively say he is intentionally interfering with the play. It is so friggin strange watching it unfold, I just can't believe he meant to do what he did.

On the other hand, I mean, I suppose it's possible that he instinctively did it without giving it any rational thought - just a complete brainfart without any consideration for the consequences of his action.

Again - just really weird stuff there.

its possible he knew the kick was called to that side, that hed hang out and if he hears cheers creep out like he did.... and thought hed simply get away with it or at worst get a flag and fine.

if your him, and you think it COULD effect the play, 15 yards and a hefty fine seems well worth keeping points off the board in a season defining game. maybe thought he was slick enough to get away with it, or thought the penalty was low enough itd be worth it.

i really dont know - just throwing some maybes out there for how it could have happened in his head if it was on purpose

Before I saw the new video, I wasn't sure. Now I am. Tomlin saw the hole, knew Jones was breaking it, and decided to do what he could to stop it or slow it down. It's obvious.

And whether it was maliciously designed or just a brain fart, I don't really care.

Edited by BRH

I am absolutely convinced that there was no intent on Tomlin's part whatsoever.

Why? Because he is a HC of an NFL team who has coached a gazillion games before. If he committed the offense with premeditated determination, is there anybody who could possibly then believe that he would not have been fully aware of the consequences that would be incurred due to the act?

He would have know that....

If he pulled back in time so as to not interfere with the play.....then regardless of the plays outcome, his team would incur a penalty and that he would very likely incur a fine.

If he pulled back as he did where he slightly interfered with the play......then again, regardless of the plays outcome, his team would incur a penalty and he would definitely incur a fine, if not a suspension.

If he misjudged his step back and accidentally makes contact with the player.....then yet again, regardless of the plays outcome, his team would incur a penalty(possibly being awarded the TD to the opposition) and he would definitely incur a huge fine, a suspension, and see his legacy as a winning NFL HC destroyed.

With certain knowledge that his action could only end in a bad result for his team and himself......I can't see how there is any possibility that he would consciously put himself in such a position.

Okay, BUT IT DID work! No penalty, no touchdown, right?

Why did he do it without logically thinking it out like you have 4 days later? I don't know, maybe he wasn't thinking clearly after being up for 3 days, hopped up on goofballs, to prepare for the game. Why did Woody Hayes punch a player, surely he knew it would turn out bad. Why do football players make stupid decisions, and retaliate in critical moments of games?

I get it, people like to show what independent thinkers they are, play devil's advocate, and all that jazz.

It will be great if he confesses too. That would be just awesome if Goodell offers him a "plea bargain".

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

As much as I dislike Belichick and think he's a deplorable human being, I can't imagine him doing this.

He would have someone else do it for him.

Or he would have (ahem) already known which side the return was going to, and prepared his coverage team accordingly.

But the point is a good one. It will be interesting to see how hard the NFL is willing to come down on one of its founding families.

Edited by BRH