Mike Tomlin Incident

NoSaint

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, BUT IT DID work! No penalty, no touchdown, right?

Why did he do it without logically thinking it out like you have 4 days later? I don't know, maybe he wasn't thinking clearly after being up for 3 days, hopped up on goofballs, to prepare for the game. Why did Woody Hayes punch a player, surely he knew it would turn out bad. Why do football players make stupid decisions, and retaliate in critical moments of games?

Yes there was no penalty nor touchdown......but everyone is astounded that the penalty at least wasn't called right? Had Tomlin done it on purpose he would have had to expect a penalty.

But WHAT worked? The play very most likely would have finished the same regardless of his actions.....and now Tomlin awaits his punishment.

Comparing the Tomlin act with the Hayes act as you have done is akin to comparing calculated premeditated murder to that of murder in the heat of passion. Tomlin calmly moved to that position on the field. Do you seriously believe his thoughts could have been anywhere near "I'll just move over here and step on the field a bit to slow the runner. It'll be alright. Nobody will notice."?

.....and as to your football players comparison.....an equivalent situation would be something like a player casually walking into the opposition teams huddle, or doing exactly as Tomlin had done and step onto the field in order to effect a play.

Your examples imply you believe that he was caught up in the emotions of the situation....thus his brain wasn't functioning properly. His calm actions however show a complete lack of being caught up emotionally in the situation. ....and being not caught up in the situation emotionally to the extent that his rational brain shuts down, he obviously would have been aware that his action could have no chance at helping his team or himself.

Edited by Dibs

That angle on the video is pretty damning IMHO... All I needed to see. It's very possible he just didn't think and made a foolish decision. Perhaps figured plausible deniability and his reputation would be enough... We've all made unwise decisions in our professional lives at some point, albeit perhaps not as overt... Hell in any facet of our lives.

At absolute minimum he made a decision to ignore the rules.

Edited by SmokinES3

There's some new video out that clearly shows what Tomlin was up to. Such a shame, I like him as a coach but he clearly was trying to interfere with the play. That's not a step someone makes so they can see the jumbotron, that's a step someone takes to block a path.

http://pittsburgh.cb...ers-punishment/

Seeing that angle makes it clear IMO he was caught between a rock and a hard place... I think he moved TOWARDS the sideline to avoid being in the running refs way... If he moves to his left, it makes things a clustereff... He tried to be "as small as possible" then jumped back when the ref cleared or was apparent he may interfere w/the returner...

I buy his story... I don't think there was an evil plan.

Before I saw the new video, I wasn't sure. Now I am. Tomlin saw the hole, knew Jones was breaking it, and decided to do what he could to stop it or slow it down. It's obvious.

And whether it was maliciously designed or just a brain fart, I don't really care.

That is why I think he was "range pole" for his guys... Maybe he knows where to stand when the returner breaks the intial coverage lanes. Really! His two players took perfect lines right to him w/the runner in the middle... All lined up, and his player made the tackle!

I'd like to see where he stands on a his kick offs! Does he coach his team to: "run to me if they break it down our sideline." ??

Again, it is possible he knows where to stand giving his guys the best possible angle on a return that breaks down his sideline. ??

That angle on the video is pretty damning IMHO... All I needed to see. It's very possible he just didn't think and made a foolish decision. Perhaps figured plausible deniability and his reputation would be enough... We've all made unwise decisions in our professional lives at some point, albeit perhaps not as overt... Hell in any facet of our lives.

At absolute minimum he made a decision to ignore the rules.

Well said... He was up to something... Noticed the streaking ref on the Jumbo and couldn't move his whole body left?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Seeing that angle makes it clear IMO he was caught between a rock and a hard place... I think he moved TOWARDS the sideline to avoid being in the running refs way... If he moves to his left, it makes things a clustereff... He tried to be "as small as possible" then jumped back when the ref cleared or was apparent he may interfere w/the returner...

I buy his story... I don't think there was an evil plan.

That is why I think he was "range pole" for his guys... Maybe he knows where to stand when the returner breaks the intial coverage lanes. Really! His two players took perfect lines right to him w/the runner in the middle... All lined up, and his player made the tackle!

I'd like to see where he stands on a his kick offs! Does he coach his team to: "run to me if they break it down our sideline." ??

Again, it is possible he knows where to stand giving his guys the best possible angle on a return that breaks down his sideline. ??

You think that's possible from watching the Jumbotron? I suppose it could be with experience... No sarcasm intended.

Edited by SmokinES3

You think that's possible from watching the Jumbotron? I suppose it could be with experience... No sarcasm intended.

I understand... No offense, it sounds pretty outlandish. Who knows? Why does he need to be there on the line? I'd like to see where he stands on all kick offs... If there is a pattern and set yard line.

I understand... No offense, it sounds pretty outlandish. Who knows? Why does he need to be there on the line? I'd like to see where he stands on all kick offs... If there is a pattern and set yard line.

Likely in big ones they probably have a tendency to go to their own sideline. I also wouldn't be shocked if he played games and this one went wrong but here's where I've got to question you- why couldn't he stand outside the sideline for the same goal/effect if it's just ranging his guys? Not trying to make a point, really don't know the answer. None of it makes sense as a smart play as a head coach.... All I can say is it doesn't look accidental he was there, even if I don't know his intent for being there.

Likely in big ones they probably have a tendency to go to their own sideline. I also wouldn't be shocked if he played games and this one went wrong but here's where I've got to question you- why couldn't he stand outside the sideline for the same goal/effect if it's just ranging his guys? Not trying to make a point, really don't know the answer. None of it makes sense as a smart play as a head coach.... All I can say is it doesn't look accidental he was there, even if I don't know his intent for being there.

Agreed... I would imagine the most likely answer would be visibility. Less likely to fade into the sea of white, yellow and black would be my guess.

I'd be curious to know his habits regarding his sideline positioning as well.

I hear you... Both sides... It looks pretty nefarious the way it all happened... He knows not to be in the white zone, but they all stand there I guess.

The whole ranging thing is a wild speculation... Is it possible to know where to stand if you know where the point of contact will be with the coverage lanes? If the runner breaks from that contact point... I know the would be tacklers across field have to run to a point much further ahead of the runner... Having your coach there might help get their bearings? Just saying. Standing as close to the edge of field would be important I guess?

I really just don't see him as wanting to disrupt the play as much as maybe help his guys adjust... That is all I am saying. In the end, everything lined up to look badly for him.

@PriscoCBS

Tomlin walking behind the official as kickoff starts to get to spot.

seems odd hed walk to the other end of the field and then back out onto the field to watch the play on the jumbotron if he didnt have any purpose for being there. wouldnt you think hed be deeper towards where the drive would be expected to start unless there was SOME goal to being upfield and close to the field?

seems odd hed walk to the other end of the field and then back out onto the field to watch the play on the jumbotron if he didnt have any purpose for being there. wouldnt you think hed be deeper towards where the drive would be expected to start unless there was SOME goal to being upfield and close to the field?

Maybe Tomlin didn't like the script and decided to protest?

12/3/13 Tomlin Interview on NFL Network: Mike Tomlin: Actions were 'embarrassing, inexcusable'

Speaking at his Tuesday press conference, Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin acknowledged that his actions on Jacoby Jones' 73-yard kickoff return last week were "embarrassing, inexcusable, illegal" and "a blunder."

"As head coaches, we're held to higher standards of conduct, and that blunder fell woefully short and in that vein I accept ... the repercussions of a blunder of that nature," Tomlin said. "I embrace it. With my position comes preserving the integrity of the game of football."

Calling it "shocking" that his actions would be perceived as intentional, Tomlin made it clear that he would "take (his) medicine" if it meant that the integrity of the NFL was not in question.

Any regular viewer of Tomlin's press conferences is familiar with his custom of demanding that his team "owns" a defeat and responds positively to it.

That is why I made the wild speculation about "ranging" (if that is even practical/possible) his players in the event a run breaks down his sideline.

I'd like to see if he does this every game... OR he could be going right up the "teeth" of his coverage team to see how the thing is unfolding (staying in their lanes).

Interesting...