John Bongiovi interested in buying the Bills

Doc

@JasonLaCanfora

Anyone doubting my story about Bon Jovi being serious and active in hopes of buying the Bills, read this: http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=sports.nationalpost.com/2013/11/25/wheels-quietly-in-motion-to-move-buffalo-bills-to-toronto …

I'm not sure how LaCanfora thinks this validates his story, really. I don't doubt his report of Bon Jovi's interest in the Bills, anyway, but this is more of the same conjecture and speculation on how, when and why the Bills will eventually move to Toronto.

(Not directed at the messenger, to be clear, in any way)

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well clearly there's more money in Toronto then there is in Buffalo and now the NFL would have a foothold in Canadian markets.

It would however be devastating for Buffalo and Western New York to lose the bills.

Would the Bills become the Toronto Bills or will they be rebranded into another team name?

LMFAO!!!

"I can't help it if I was born with a band's name"

:worthy::lol::worthy::lol::worthy::lol::worthy:

Jim Kelly,Golisano and Bon Jovi are all interested in buying the Bills, is there anybody else we should add to this list?

It's kind of ironic that this story popped up this very same week the Bills are playing in Toronto.

It's been mentioned numerous times in this thread that the story comes up every year during Toronto week.

Wait, I thought Kelly had already found a buyer---"the Kelly group".

Your snideness aside, what makes you think there will only be one interested buyers group?

LMFAO!!!

"I can't help it if I was born with a band's name"

:worthy::lol::worthy::lol::worthy::lol::worthy:

It's been mentioned numerous times in this thread that the story comes up every year during Toronto week.

Your snideness aside, what makes you think there will only be one interested buyers group?

Long accompanying the notion of the existence of "the Kelly group" is the corollary that this group has secretly secured some sort of assurance form RW that they will be the next owners of the team because RW "knows Kelly will keep the team in Buffalo".

So, in this fantasy scenario, other interested buyers are immaterial. That's why I said what I said.

I've always been of the opinion that there *is* a plan in place and has been for quite some time.

I don't see Ralph Wilson being a man who leaves his legacy to chance. I don't see the Wilson family allowing their father's legacy to be dictated by others.

If the Bills move after Wilson dies, it could be argued that it makes his "legacy" stronger. He was the only person able to keep the team in Buffalo.

The question I keep asking myself is... IF a plan is really in place to keep the Bills in Buffalo, why is nothing ever said about it? Why does Wilson/Brandon and the Bills front office let the media print stories suggesting this team is gone after he dies? How can they let an already depressed fan-base worry, year after year, about the team moving? Why don't they put everyone at ease, and just SAY -- "Mr. Wilson has a plan to keep the Bills in Buffalo."

The logical answer is -- there is no plan.

Well clearly there's more money in Toronto then there is in Buffalo and now the NFL would have a foothold in Canadian markets.

It would however be devastating for Buffalo and Western New York to lose the bills.

Would the Bills become the Toronto Bills or will they be rebranded into another team name?

Just keep calling them the Buffalo Bills. No different than the NY Giants and NY Jets.

My question is why does it have to be the Bills that moves to Toronto?

Why cant it be one of the other rumored teams like Jags, Rams etc...

CBF

I believe there would be another fee involved for moving a team into another teams market. Unless that's just the NHL... I forget.

Yes

Looking into how he's revered in Toronto, it's pretty creepy. He must kiss a lot of rich ass

He's not "revered" in Toronto. That's all media fluff created by the new President of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (half-owned by Rogers), Tim Leinweike. He just happened to be Bon Jovi's agent for x amount of years before getting this job.

It actually made Leaf fans sick that he put Bon Jovi up into the rafters.

The question I keep asking myself is... IF a plan is really in place to keep the Bills in Buffalo, why is nothing ever said about it? Why does Wilson/Brandon and the Bills front office let the media print stories suggesting this team is gone after he dies? How can they let an already depressed fan-base worry, year after year, about the team moving? Why don't they put everyone at ease, and just SAY -- "Mr. Wilson has a plan to keep the Bills in Buffalo."

That's a Bingo!

I've been wondering that myself for quite some time.

If the Bills move after Wilson dies, it could be argued that it makes his "legacy" stronger. He was the only person able to keep the team in Buffalo.

I am not an expert in tax law but he would be assessed quite a large capital gains tax ($150m or so i believe) if he sold the team while alive. I bet that it would raise some red flags if there was a handshake agreement in place.

Does Rogers Media gazillion dollar (Canadian) deal for NHL TV rights have any impact on the Bills' future over the next 5 years?

My guess it would make a move to Toronto less likely. The Rogers family is the most likely purchaser, and if Rogers Communications is partnering with the NHL, it doesn't make sense for them to bring in the NFL to compete against themselves.

Unfortunately, this is the same reason I don't think Pegula would have any interest in purchasing the Bills. The Bills are the Sabres' biggest competition for entertainment dollars in Buffalo.

Edited by BuffaloBrad

I am not an expert in tax law but he would be assessed quite a large capital gains tax ($150m or so i believe) if he sold the team while alive. I bet that it would raise some red flags if there was a handshake agreement in place.

Hey! Someone's got their thinking cap on! :D

this smug Canadian thinks that they are doing us a favor by taking our team, well guess what buddy if they go they aren't our team anymore. :angry: :angry: :angry:

"Yes, the Bills won’t leave Western New York until 2020. That sounds like forever, but it’s well within the acceptable window. It’ll take years to build the team a new home somewhere on Toronto’s waterfront and transition them over the border. Until then, the two cities can split games between the Ralph and the Rogers Centre.Buffalo knows in its heart that this is finally for real. They’re understandably torn. Hopefully, by the time it’s over,

we’ll be able to explain to them that we’re not taking their team away. We’re ensuring its longevity.

Most importantly, this doesn’t need to be zero sum.We’re always willing to share with friends."

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2013/11/27/buffalo_bills_nfls_bottom_line_decidedly_in_torontos_favour_kelly.html?two-bills-drive#

this smug Canadian thinks that they are doing us a favor by taking our team, well guess what buddy if they go they aren't our team anymore. :angry: :angry: :angry:

"Yes, the Bills won’t leave Western New York until 2020. That sounds like forever, but it’s well within the acceptable window. It’ll take years to build the team a new home somewhere on Toronto’s waterfront and transition them over the border. Until then, the two cities can split games between the Ralph and the Rogers Centre.Buffalo knows in its heart that this is finally for real. They’re understandably torn. Hopefully, by the time it’s over,

we’ll be able to explain to them that we’re not taking their team away. We’re ensuring its longevity.

Most importantly, this doesn’t need to be zero sum.We’re always willing to share with friends."

http://www.thestar.c...wo-bills-drive#

I wanted to puke when I read that. No wonder the rest of Canda can't stand Toronto!