Dan Dierdorf to Retire from CBS after the Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think, all in all, Dierdorf was one of the best Sunday afternoon analysts in the game. I think a lot of people can only remember him from his MNF years (when the Bills were on MNF 2 or 3 times a year)...Dierdorf has admitted, himself, he never could strike the balance on MNF between overstating things, or over-hyping things...because of the stage of MNF, producers encouraged the color guys to be "over the top", and to put their imprint on the game.

I know I am very much in the minority on this, but I will miss Dierdorf, especially given the alternatives.

Dierdorf will go down as one of the worst color commentators in the history of the NFL. He offers no insight whatsoever-- not even the insight normal commentators offer from their bolierplate talking points.

It's somewhat of an embarrassment to the sports broadcasting profession that CBS couldn't find anyone better than him.

I guess peoples' liking of NFL color announcers runs along the same line as peoples' liking of: pizza, BBQ sauce, spaghetti sauce, beer, car color, music, et. al....which is that EVERYBODY HAS THEIR OWN TASTES & THEIR OWN LIKES! 'Murica, land of the free, home of the brave! ;-)

But just to give you a comparison. I think Rich Gannon is a superb commentator. He always provides detailed x's and o's, especially on QB play. I want my commentator to break down the play, the coverages, and give insight into what us laypersons don't know about.

I'm curious, and serious. For anybody that has closely watched NFL football for at least 3 years...so that would be at least 100 games, and probably some ESPN or NFL Network pre-game and/or post-game shows (and maybe some college games too)......is there anything at all you could possibly see on the field which would leave you clueless at to what happened? I mean, I have to assume that most diehard football fans have been watching since their early teens, and if you pay any attention at all, you surely know what's going on. Sure there are always some people who are "new" to the game, but I would think those are mostly women and/or released prison inmates who had no access to NFL games. And I'm guessing that most women, or other "casual" fans, don't really care to learn the intricacies of the game.

Did Tom Brady propose or something?

This comment nails it! When they played the Pats this year he let everyone know he "had dinner last night with Tom and Bill last night". Then he called them by their first name the whole game. He did this crap all the time dropping names so he had no objectivity when doing Bills games. Good riddance "Dierdork" don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

I'm curious, and serious. For anybody that has closely watched NFL football for at least 3 years...so that would be at least 100 games, and probably some ESPN or NFL Network pre-game and/or post-game shows (and maybe some college games too)......is there anything at all you could possibly see on the field which would leave you clueless at to what happened? I mean, I have to assume that most diehard football fans have been watching since their early teens, and if you pay any attention at all, you surely know what's going on. Sure there are always some people who are "new" to the game, but I would think those are mostly women and/or released prison inmates who had no access to NFL games. And I'm guessing that most women, or other "casual" fans, don't really care to learn the intricacies of the game.

You must be more knowledgeable than me or the average fan. I have been religiously watching football for about 25 years, and I couldn't tell you much about the types of defensive coverages run on a given play ( eg, man under, cover 2, cover 4, cover 1 with a safety). I also probably wouldn't know the progressions of the QB or some of the routes the receivers run (eg, option routes).

a good commentator could tell you that stuff in about 2 seconds.

Likewise--I typically agree with your assessment, as well.

I will concede though that I have pretty thin skin when it comes to broadcasting, so I could be off on this one.

But just to give you a comparison. I think Rich Gannon is a superb commentator. He always provides detailed x's and o's, especially on QB play. I want my commentator to break down the play, the coverages, and give insight into what us laypersons don't know about.

On Dierdorf, he doesn't seem to do any of that. It seems like it's a lot of rhetoric. Also, I noticed that when he is on the broadcast, CBS runs many fewer replays. I don't know if that is his fault, but I think it could be-- we're not seeing replays because he isn't able or willing to dissect plays on the fly.

Just my $ .02--though we can certainly agree to disagree on this one.

+1. I like Rich Gannon, Tim Ryan, etc. They provide insight into Xs and Os and plays.

Dan Dierdorf says things like "Fred Jackson is a professional football player".

He has got some bashing from time to time about how he goes about his gig but i have always liked the way he & Gumble worked together & will miss hereing his break down of games on sundays .

Thanks for all you didd for football Dan enjoy your retirement !!

Gets a lot of criticism but not the worst analyst.

I don't know who is the worst, but he was more than bad enough (who do you consider worse?).

Obviously, everyone has their own taste, but it's just as obvious that he annoyed MANY, MANY people.

The NFL is more enjoyable without him.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

As great as watching football on tv has become (HD rocks!), intricacies of the game are one thing, but there is just no way you can see everything on tv. If you are at the stadium, and you are paying attention, you can see so much more. I have played/watched for 40+ years (a lot of football...a lot!) and there are still things I can't know if I am not there. Terminology changes, seemingly, out of nowhere....being a bit of a sports/football junkie, I remember, probably around 1999 or 2000 players and coaches starting using terms like "that is the mikes responsibility", or "the will has to make that play"....I spent a good season trying to figure out what the !@#$ they were talking about....now that is common and part of our every day sports vernacular, but it isn't always instinctive, or logical...

Edited by Buftex

@CBSSportsGang

NEWS from CBS…Hall of Famer Dan Dierdorf will retire at the end of this season after 43 consecutive years in the NFL. http://bit.ly/1ei5yME

and not soon enough, I turn off the sound when he is doing games . . . drone, speak boringly, go on and on, talk at length; intone, pontificate; informal spout, sound off, jaw, spiel, speechify, bloviate, etc.etc. and usually about nothing of relevance

JR, I nornally agree with you on a lot of things..but I think you are way off in your assessment here... while game broadcasts are longer than ever, the amount of time for analysis is less than ever. So, in that sense, the broadcasting game may have passed Dierdorf by, but I think the guy is extremely knowledgable...head and shoulders above the average muckity-mucks who do Sunday afternoon games.

One thing this thread re-inforces to me, Bills fans, as a whole, are pretty thin-skinned and have extremely select hearing. And, oh yeah, they hold onto grudges for percieved slights of their team for decades...from the comments here, I think many will only be happy when we have graduates from the Ryan Seacrest school of broadcast doing games.

I think most fans are critical of announcers because they're always bashing Bills players during a game. But, honestly, for the last decade plus the Bills players have been sucking it up on Sundays. They've deserved all the negative comments they've gotten from all the announcers and pundits!

I've found most announcers, Tasker included, to be quite praising of the Bills... when they deserved it or do something good. But, how much good can you say when the Bills are routinely fielding a team that's borderline NFL quality?

For me, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Bills, or what he might say about the Bills. I know many here complained about things he would say, but it has nothing to do with my attitude towards him. It could be any game, any teams, his style was what I disliked.

He sounded like he went to broadcasting school, where they told him to vary his pitch to as he bellowed, he added it to his blowhard "let me explain it to you, people" persona, and it became unbearable.

I don't really have any other announcers that I dislike so much. Tasker can be annoying, and some guys are a bit flat, but most are fine with me, and it's not even an issue.