Dan Dierdorf to Retire from CBS after the Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think, all in all, Dierdorf was one of the best Sunday afternoon analysts in the game. I think a lot of people can only remember him from his MNF years (when the Bills were on MNF 2 or 3 times a year)...Dierdorf has admitted, himself, he never could strike the balance on MNF between overstating things, or over-hyping things...because of the stage of MNF, producers encouraged the color guys to be "over the top", and to put their imprint on the game.

Once Dierdorf moved to Sunday afternoon games on CBS, I think his performance was much improved...certainly one of the very best that CBS had to offer. Dierdorf knows the game as well as anyone...however, broadcasts now give color guys very little time to break down plays (something DD was excellent at), between advertisement, sponsership announcements, etc etc..so they often can't get their point made in an efficient amount of time...I think people were way too hard on the guy. CBS announcers, in general, are pretty bad...its' a pity, because back in the day (when the Bills were a nationaly relevant team) NBC had a great stable of play by play and color guys.

I know I am very much in the minority on this, but I will miss Dierdorf, especially given the alternatives.

I actually think, all in all, Dierdorf was one of the best Sunday afternoon analysts in the game. I think a lot of people can only remember him from his MNF years (when the Bills were on MNF 2 or 3 times a year)...Dierdorf has admitted, himself, he never could strike the balance on MNF between overstating things, or over-hyping things...because of the stage of MNF, producers encouraged the color guys to be "over the top", and to put their imprint on the game.

I understand this to some degree but it seemed like Dierdorf said once a quarter..."You will never see a finer (pass, play, tackle, throw, play call, run, catch, quarterback, etc)." He was truly the king of hyperbole.

I understand this to some degree but it seemed like Dierdorf said once a quarter..."You will never see a finer (pass, play, tackle, throw, play call, run, catch, quarterback, etc)." He was truly the king of hyperbole.

This. It's widely done by analysts - they hype up almost every player in the game they are covering. It just got irritating when Dierdorf did this to every player playing against Buffalo, especially when their first name is Tom, Vince, or Rob and last name is Brady, Wilfork, or Gronkowski.

He isn't a bad analyst, but I won't miss him.

I always remember on a Monday Night game. it was an early season game back in 1989. Broncos @ Bills. The fans were off the hook that night. I think it was the 2nd game of the season & we just came off a last second win @ Miami. Well it was clear that the broncos were going to have a tough time controlling Smith & Bennet & the one play Smith & Bennett crushed Elway at the same time & Dierdorff had a great line. he said, "right now Smith & Bennett are playing a little game of meet me at the quarterback". He was also complimentary with Bills fans when the Chiefs played here a few weeks ago. In the beggining he said something to the effect of "this isn't your typical NFL atmosphere here in Buffalo, it is more of a college atmosphere & this stadium has the same traits as Arrowhead as far as the noise level is concerned." I know he was not popular among Bills fans but I always liked DD. I am going to miss him.

Edited by Gordio

I'll miss his enthusiasm more than anything. Which is an underrated aspect of the job. Can't say he was the most accurate or insightful guy though.

"when you look at Ryan Fitzpatrick, you're looking at the quarterback of the buffalo bills!"

That line never fails to make me chuckle.

Edited by QB Bills

I'll miss his enthusiasm more than anything. Which is an underrated aspect of the job. Can't say he was the most accurate or insightful guy though.

"when you look at Ryan Fitzpatrick, you're looking at the quarterback of the buffalo bills!"

That line never fails to make me chuckle.

You talk long enough, into an open mike, unscripted (to a degree) you are bound to come up with a few gems like that per game! Really listen to Phil Simms some time..he is the master of the absurd, but most (I think) feel he is pretty decent.

But, I do remember that one as well! :lol: