For once the ref gods favored us over Patriots

Webster Guy

You would think Luke Keuchly would have learned his lesson after he gave us the Carolina game with pass interference on Stevie Johnson.

If you remember, EJ missed on that last throw to Stevie at the goal line on 4th down but Keuchly was flagged for interference on what looked to be an underthrown, uncatchable ball. Instead of game over, we get a first and goal and win the game.

Last night he did the exact same thing on the final play of the game to Gronkowski. If you didn't see it, it was blatant pass interference in the endzone with no time left on the clock and the ref threw the flag as he should have. I have no idea what Keuchly was thinking, I can only presume he figured they wouldn't call the penalty on the last play of the game.

Everybody in the world including the refs knew Brady was going to Gronk, and Luke didn't care that he was being watched, he mauled him anyway. Worse than the Stevie call.

But the refs conferred and they picked up the flag. Panthers win!

The refs official statement: " it was determined at that point in time that when the primary contact occurred on the tight end that the ball, in essence, was coming in underthrown and in essence it was immediate at that point intercepted at the front end of the end zone. So there was a determination that, in essence, uncatchability, that the ball was intercepted at or about the same time the primary contact against the receiver occurred. "

This is an officiating nightmare that seems like it would happen to us, not the Patsies. No different from the Stevie play in my opinion. The interception is meaningless here, they claim it was uncatchable. So you can maul a receiver legally if the ball is in the air and they determine it isn't catchable. Go watch the Bills Carolina game it was the same throw but we got the win and NE got the L.

Maybe the tide is turning.

Beautiful baby. Couldn't happen to a better team.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F the Pats. I would love nothing more than to play them week 17 with the AFC east and possibly the playoffs on the line too and we beat them bad and Brady is so sore he can't move. We need to hit him like we hit Geno. We've been waiting just as long for the playoffs as we have for the Pats to be bad. This might not be the year but things are definitely moving in the right direction

It really depends on when the hold began. If it began prior to Brady releasing the ball, which I suspect it did, then it's without question blatant defensive holding and an obvious penalty. Interference, assuming it happened, is a secondary penalty. Both could be called, and if that happened, you'd take the interference because it puts the ball at the one. However, if the all 22 establishes that the hold began before the ball was released, then the refs made a terrible, game deciding no-call. Making a holding call has nothing to with whether the ball is catchable or not.

As for the call itself, the refs erred because they did not know if Gronkowski planned to come back for the ball. Kuechly prevented them from finding out by tackling Grownkoski and driving him to the back of the end zone. You simply can't assume that his route was the one Kuechly's tackle redirected him toward.

Their excuses afterward were basically BS ass-covering. You can't pick up the flag on an interference that was so blatant that it clearly may have affected his route to where the ball was thrown.

I'm not unhappy about the outcome, of course!

Edited by dave mcbride

i love to see that Pats get screwed as much as the next guy, but that was a terrible call. Gronk was trying to curl back to the ball and was held/interfered with. I love watching Brady whine to the officials as he left the field!

funny about the Pats fans crying about the refs now. You've had them in your pocket for years. How many extra yards has that team accumulated or not lost due to holding calls not being called to protect Brady, or by personal fouls for breathing on Brady? I for one am loving this.

It really depends on when the hold began. If it began prior to Brady releasing the ball, which I suspect it did, then it's without question blatant defensive holding and an obvious penalty. Interference, assuming it happened, is a secondary penalty.

This post has a gif of the end of the play: http://forums.twobil...40#entry2981081

From that, it looks like the DB breaks/alters path on the ball before the contact with Gronk. Which would rule out def. holding. But I still think that this has to be PI (if any other team is playing).

Adding: I think it is very unlikely or even impossible that Gronk has a chance at the catch. I think it is very possible that he could have committed offensive PI to break up the Int, however. That still would have ended the game, due to the clock, but the refs got too cute here with the judgment calls.

Here is the nfl.com video: http://www.nfl.com/v...er-end-zone-INT

Tommy Asterisk threw that into double coverage, and underthrew it. If Kuechly didn't mug Gronk, the pundits would be questioning the throw.

kj

Edited by l< j

The ball was no where near Gronk, so much so that he didnt even make an attempt to go back towards it. I also thought that the contact was late and had no affect on the play whatsoever. The 'rules expert' guy that the broadcast had in to comment on the play also thought that a no call was the right call. However in todays over-officiated NFL that does usually draw a flag I would say.

Also, that happened with 3 seconds left on the clock. Why not call the OBVIOUS intentional grounding on Brady on the first 3rd down of the drive? That should have kept the clock running I believe. Exo-facto time already expired.

i love to see that Pats get screwed as much as the next guy, but that was a terrible call. Gronk was trying to curl back to the ball and was held/interfered with. I love watching Brady whine to the officials as he left the field!

I loved hearing an f-bomb slip out over the air before the production studio realized it may not be the best time to put a hot mic on pisspot Marcia.

Robert Krafts cheque to the refs must have bounced before the game. :w00t:

New England got really screwed.

If the holding and contact came before the pass the refs should have called holding or illegal contact. If it was after the pass that was pass blatant interference.

Gronk was being held/interfered and it definitely impeded him coming back to the ball and could have made a play on the ball. He was interfering him for a few seconds! The player became a brick wall. Blatant penalty...awful officiating and it couldn't have happened to a better organization :devil:

This reminded me more of the call when the Bills beat the Pats 2011. Think it was Nelson in the corner of the end zone, Fitz horrible udder throw to the goal line, ball is picked by the Pats.....somehow they rule Nelson was impeded from coming back for the ball. Changed the whole game that day for the good guys.

That ball was a lot more under thrown than this one. But every once in a while we get a break and the Pats get screwed ..

I saw the play last night. It was interference big time! Just hope they don't come up with some lame rule now like the "Tuck Rule" just because it's Brady. Bad call that's it.

Great to see ol Tommy fumming at the end. I hope he get fined for dropping the f-bomb at the ref on national TV as he was leaving.

This reminded me more of the call when the Bills beat the Pats 2011. Think it was Nelson in the corner of the end zone, Fitz horrible udder throw to the goal line, ball is picked by the Pats.....somehow they rule Nelson was impeded from coming back for the ball. Changed the whole game that day for the good guys.

That ball was a lot more under thrown than this one. But every once in a while we get a break and the Pats get screwed ..

People always forget about that play. Horrendous call and without it we never win that game. In essence.

They talked about on the radio this morning and according to Cris Carter it was the right call.

When I first saw the replay I was surprised but looking at it from a few angles it appears to be uncatchable because of where Gronk was running to. He didn't try to run a dig route or come back, he just kept running to the post.

Frankly I'm just glad the Pats didn't get an extra shot at that. Carolina was awesome last night and I was glad to see them pull off the upset