most improved Bill from last season?

tbonehawaii

I think every player on defense looks better than last season, except maybe Gilmore.

Yeah - Gilmore definitely looks much worse.

Still crossing my fingers that he's just not all the way back (mentally anyway) from being out with the injury.

All of the guys being mentioned are on defense. Coincidence or is it because we now have an amazing defensive coordinator? I don't think the players are any better I think it's just better coaching.

Yeah - and in fairness, we really can't complain too much about what Chan Gailey got out of the offense, right?

Offense also clearly worse from the loss of Levitre w/o an adequate replacement.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because of this situation that I think the Bills should draft a DE in the 1st or 2nd round next year. We need some youth at the position. Mario will be 29, Branch is a UFA & Hughes is more of a situational player. We need some fresh, young blood at this position that can grow, become an every down player and hopefully become a dominant force.

I agree. Injuries aside, DE would seem like a vital position for the Bills to go after in the 2014 draft. And btw I view Branch as much more of a rotational DT than a DE.

I agree. Injuries aside, DE would seem like a vital position for the Bills to go after in the 2014 draft. And btw I view Branch as much more of a rotational DT than a DE.

Yes, Branch is more of a DT and I am hoping the Bills re-sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. He has done a decent job at DE.

A lot of people on this board appear to be overlooking the fact that DE is an area the Bills need to seriously consider addressing, via free agency or the draft.

I know the Bills need an OG, TE & WR help, and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round might not be a bad idea. Especially since this year's QB class is considerably deep.

Nice to see that someone else agrees with me that DE is a priority position this offseason. I do like Carrington, but we might have to part ways with him.

I'd put McLovin and AW at a tie. Both I wanted gone but they have changed their game. I would even give AW the better since he was playing CB for part of the season and did a decent job after sucking at it last year.

You are right he improved at CB too . One heck of an asset to Pettine and the Bills.

The mentality of switching to full blown safety after a couple years working hard to learn CB must be respected. And a new system to boot !

I love this kid these days. Cowboy hat or not..

but leodis had the biggest swing IMhO.

Wow this defense is really something to watch develop. Some of the best Bills fun i have had in light years and i just bask in it.

Great season all considered, if just for genuine fun factor.

Ps how Dave W fairing these days ?

I'm kind of surprised that so many people are saying Leodis. Did anyone watch the last 8 games last year? He played shockingly well - almost like it was a different person, and that was in a Wannestedt defense with no pass rush. I definitely wasn't in the majority when I said I loved signing him in the offseason for $4.25M a year.

I'd have to say A. Williams. By the end of last season he looked like a guy that didn't have much of a future in the NFL, and now he's been a bright spot on defense by playing inspired and aggressive ball.

#1- McKelvin (i'm shocked at the difference)

#2- Cordy Glenn (guy has given up 1 sack all year)

#3- Dareus (needed time to grieve)

#4- A. Williams (safety is where he belongs)

Not in any way a knock on Glenn. But few thought he needed to turn around his season. He has shown gradual natural improvement from last year, which you would expect from experience. He was already good and is getting better. He did not make huge strides, but did not need to. He did not need major improvement. Just to get better and better, which he has.

While McKelvin needed to turn it around, he was not good the beginning of last year. Williams was simply horrible last year at CB. Dareus was not playing anywhere near our expectations of a #3 pick or what all thought he was capable of. Each of those three were under-performing noticeably.

Most of us took the thread to mean who really turned it around, not who were the best on the team at their position and got better.

Edited by simpleman

Most improved? Well, McKelvin actually played pretty well last year...and that was the reason he got the 4yr $20mil contract. And, although he is much improved again this year, this was not a total jump to near elite status. He was a journeyman last year....upped his game this year. Aaron Williams was a diaster last year, and I was ready to give up on him as a CB. The move to safety and the new system have saved his career. He is covering at least adequately at both safety and corner...unbelieveable after last year, and he is hitting and making plays many times. Easy pick for me....most improved is Aaron Williams.

Yes, Branch is more of a DT and I am hoping the Bills re-sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal. He has done a decent job at DE.

A lot of people on this board appear to be overlooking the fact that DE is an area the Bills need to seriously consider addressing, via free agency or the draft.

I know the Bills need an OG, TE & WR help, and drafting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round might not be a bad idea. Especially since this year's QB class is considerably deep.

Nice to see that someone else agrees with me that DE is a priority position this offseason. I do like Carrington, but we might have to part ways with him.

The problem is that like LTs, pass rushing DEs are extremely hard to get. Generally speaking, if you want to draft one you better take him early. And very few of the top DEs reach free agency. Mario was quite the exception, and look at how much he cost.