Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

I really hope the Bills stay healthy and run the table! The respect they receive around the league is minimal, at best. Read an article on PFT where they were picking Week 13 winners and the analyst said the Bills should win the game of the two worst teams in the league. Maybe Marrone should use this as locker room fodder because this team is far from being one of the worst in league.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The beauty of the nfl is every team has that crossroads. Right now there are 25+ fanbases saying "if we win out....." and because it's good til about the start of December everyone stays invested

There really aren't. Other fan bases of these dozen garbo teams think they stink and deserve not to make it. Pittsburgh and Baltimore bandwagoners are the exception, I guess

We're teased by an easy stretch of games (or at least was) that we've been targeting all year.

There really aren't. Other fan bases of these dozen garbo teams think they stink and deserve not to make it. Pittsburgh and Baltimore bandwagoners are the exception, I guess

We're teased by an easy stretch of games (or at least was) that we've been targeting all year.

Please tell me what teams fans think they are out of it? I think saying 25 teams are still in it is fair can you name more than 7 that are thinking about next year? Ill start you out...

Jags

Texans

Falcons

Bucs

To be fair the board was debating whether we should lose out less than two weeks ago- but any glimmer of hope and every fan base goes all in

Please tell me what teams fans think they are out of it? I think saying 25 teams are still in it is fair can you name more than 7 that are thinking about next year? Ill start you out...

Jags

Texans

Falcons

Bucs

Agreed - like i said, were 14th in the conference right now. 14th out of 16. And the board is thrilled. It's highly indicative of the product that the nfl has put together. Even the teams on losing streaks or underperforming expectations - the first big play Sunday will be the moment they start their Super Bowl run.

The Ravens just beat the Steelers.

An NBC graphic showed the AFC playoff teams. The Buffalo Bills was NOT listed in the "In The Hunt" column....or any other column.

Mistake by NBC?

They are definitely in the hunt and still alive but looking at the graphic, with so many teams in the hunt, they couldnt fit in every single team so they just posted the top several teams.

An NBC graphic showed the AFC playoff teams. The Buffalo Bills was NOT listed in the "In The Hunt" column....or any other column.

Mistake by NBC?

No, not until we beat Atlanta.

Mistake by NBC?

Nope.

Hopefully the Bills can stay off that list till after week 16.

Don't believe the hype.

Mistake by NBC?

If they take care of business and beat the falcons this week, next week they will be listed in the "in the hunt" column I think. They should be anyways.

Mistake by NBC?

Technically 31 teams in the NFL are still alive, 16 in the AFC. That would be a crazy graphic.

Mistake by NBC?

Going into today we were 14th in the AFC, I think it's simply not wanting to list all the teams and were last in the group given tie breakers

I too am confused. Why would Oakland hold the tie break?

The first tiebreak between us would be conference record, which I would guess is up in the air.

After the Oakland loss to Dallas, we now know that if there is a 2-way tie between Oakland and the Bills, Oakland will win the tiebreaker based on conference record. By what you call the "reverse engineering" method upthread, it goes like this:

Oakland is already 0-4 against the NFC, while Buffalo has already beat NFC team Carolina. So no matter what the Bills do in their remaining 2 NFC games, Buffalo will finish with a better record against the NFC than the Raiders. That means that the only way the Bills and Raiders can possibly finish the season with the same overall record for all 16 games is if the Raiders finish with a better record in the 12 games against AFC opponents than the Bills.

You may find this analysis overly complicated, but it allows you to know the outcome of some potential two-way ties long before the season ends.

After the Oakland loss to Dallas, we now know that if there is a 2-way tie between Oakland and the Bills, Oakland will win the tiebreaker based on conference record. By what you call the "reverse engineering" method upthread, it goes like this:

Oakland is already 0-4 against the NFC, while Buffalo has already beat NFC team Carolina. So no matter what the Bills do in their remaining 2 NFC games, Buffalo will finish with a better record against the NFC than the Raiders. That means that the only way the Bills and Raiders can possibly finish the season with the same overall record for all 16 games is if the Raiders finish with a better record in the 12 games against AFC opponents than the Bills.

You may find this analysis overly complicated, but it allows you to know the outcome of some potential two-way ties long before the season ends.

I understand this, but there is no reason to reverse engineer any of this. I think it's unnecessarily complicated. One can simply add the AFC wins to get the AFC records.

But it's besides the point, because there is no way the raiders finish the season with 8 wins. Raiders are out.

Jags

Texans

Falcons

Bucs

You ruined my setup!!! I was going to point that out to him after he replied. Lol

I know exactly how you feel.

There's this kid named DC_Tom who does the same thing to me all the time. He's not clever enough to understand that he's not being clever.

Looks like 4mer is trying to get in on the act. As you can see: He's not very clever either.

:lol:

Also: Simple scenario for you that means the Bills can lose to the Pats, and still make it in.

Step #1: Go here http://espn.go.com/n...layoffs/machine

Step #2: Set the drop down to "Win %"

Step #3: Week 13: Set up the games to follow what I posted in the Bottom Line thread, minus the Pats losing(doesn't matter for this anyway). Especially the Miami beating the Jets game = key. EDIT: Also, switch/don't the Jags/Cleveland game. Turns out it doesn't matter.

Step #4: Week 14: Clear the ties. Doesn't matter how.

Step #5: Week 15: Don't do anything (but notice, ALL of the teams we need to lose, lose. And, ALL of those results are probable, not just possible)

Step #6: Week 16: Flip the Bills to win against Miami(viola! Now we are in!...but, slow your roll, there's one thing left to do)

Step #7: Week 17: We are only in because of the Jet/Miami tie. If you flip this to the Jets, they are in. If you flip this to the Dolphins? (Meaning the Dolphins sweep the jets?

Hey, Hey, Hey, Hey! :lol:

And, if you'll notice? I DID NOT flip the "Bills beat the Pats" switch. We do that, and the outcome of the Jets/Miami game doesn't matter.

EDIT: So, yeah, the Bottom line for this week? Turns out those games are CRITICAL. We get them all(and even if we don't get the Jags over Cleveland? Our chances improve dramatically)

http://www.sportsclu...st/Buffalo.html has been updated! Checkout the .4% increase from our shiny new wins! :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Jags

Texans

Falcons

Bucs

Bucs have won 3 in a row. Bills have yet to put 2 wins together. Their 2 previous losses were followed by losing streaks of 2 and 3 games....

Bucs have won 3 in a row. Bills have yet to put 2 wins together. Their 2 previous losses were followed by losing streaks of 2 and 3 games....

This has nothing to do with the point being made. Teams fan bases are still holding onto hope however small that glimmer may be. After this week that number will shrink but with 5 games to go there are a lot of teams still in it and a lot of fan bases hoping their team will make it in.