Official Playoff Possibilities Thread

eball

No problem. I recognize this thread will continue to get overrun by angry, frustrated fans who lash out at playoff talk as a defense mechanism, but if they win games they can still make it.

Of course, I'll grant that it's unlikely they can win out. But I don't think it's impossible that they will beat 2 of the worst teams in the league, TB and Jax, each of whom have fewer wins than the Bills, as well as a team they've already beaten (on the road with a backup QB), Miami.

As I mentioned, if they win those 3, I think they have a good shot to be alive going into week 17, which would be cool.

The point of this entire thread is to assume the bills will win out. For these jokers to come in now and scream about how they won't win out is missing the point and just born out of the anger we are all feeling.

I love the idea that the math may not be so improbable. We need something to root for.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFC.....

EAST

Its basically the Cowboys and eagles for the division when they meet up in week 17.

The Giants have an outside shot but it will be difficult. They were swept by the Cowboys and split with Philadelphia. Thus they only could be in a tie with Philadelphia. They need Philadelphia to lose to Dalls to have the same 3-3 record as the Giants. Next tiebreaker is common games which Giants would have the edge because PHL already went 2-0 while the best the Giants could do is 1-1. Thus they need either :

1. win out

2. Dallas beat Philadelphia

3. Dallas lose their other 3 games (CHI, GB, WAS)

4. Philadelphia lose an additional game

or

1. win out

2. have Phildelphia and Dallas both finish 1-3 over their final 4 games. The winner of DAL-PHL game will need to lose their other 3 games.

NORTH

Detroit leads and has swept CHI this season, thus having the tiebreaker edge. Detroit's magic number is 3 for clinching the division....# of wins by detroit or losses by chicago.

The season ender of GB at CHI could still be for the division title by having Detroit lose 2 of their next 3 and have CHI and GB win their next 3.

SOUTH

New Orleans and Carolina still have to play each other twice which could decide the division title.

WEST

Seattle magic number to clinch the division is 2. It doesnt matter if they win or lose to NO on Monday night. Next week if SEA beats SF they win the division.

If San fran loses to SEA next week and AZ wins against STL, then AZ controls their own fate for one of the wild card spots.

Edited by djp14150

I love the idea that the math may not be so improbable. We need something to root for.

Buffalo Bills Playoff Chances

Lost to Atlanta 31-34, playoff odds down 2.2 to 1.1%

4-8-0 .333

So what you are saying is .. there's a chance! ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

I love the playoff madness - we aren't out just yet. As much as I absolutely hate the ending of yesterday's game (along with NE, Cleveland, and KC), we still have a chance and therefore my interest in the NFL will last another week.

Pittsburgh Balt and SD are the teams we need to collapse

I love the playoff madness - we aren't out just yet. As much as I absolutely hate the ending of yesterday's game (along with NE, Cleveland, and KC), we still have a chance and therefore my interest in the NFL will last another week.

Every team the Bills needed to lose to help their chances lost.

friggen Putrids ad their screaming QB.

as long as it's not against the Raiders or Titans.

Okay...mathematically they are in it but the Bills have not shown the ability to win back to back games. They had a bye week to get ready and the run defense was putrid against an Atlanta O Line that was manned by back ups and a street free agent who was not playing football a couple weeks ago. This team is 1 draft and free agent period away from fielding a team that can make a run for the play offs. Don't see them winning out or 3 games. Even if God, from heaven above, points to the Bills and says they finish 8-8, they will not make the playoffs.

Strictly statistically speaking (say that 5 times fast!), if we were going to lose one more game on the way to the playoffs, then the Atlanta game was the one to do so. If the Bills can get to 8-8, it really isn't that far-fetched to get in. It's the getting to 8-8 part that's kinda far fetched...

With that said, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! :beer:

Soul crushing loss yesterday but the only thing that changes is that we gotta beat new England now (as well as the other three). Whereas before the scenarios were losing that game and getting in at 8-8, it's now winning out and getting to 8-8. And this way gives us the better conference record. So technically, losing yesterday was a good thing!

(I tried)

Strictly statistically speaking (say that 5 times fast!), if we were going to lose one more game on the way to the playoffs, then the Atlanta game was the one to do so. If the Bills can get to 8-8, it really isn't that far-fetched to get in. It's the getting to 8-8 part that's kinda far fetched...

With that said, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! :beer:

Time for a futile gesture on our part. TOGA PARTY!

Okay...mathematically they are in it but the Bills have not shown the ability to win back to back games.

Neither did the 2004 team. Until they won 6 straight. Some team that sucks right now is going to get that 6th seed spot.