Manuel vs G. Smith

ChanOverChin

Manuel has not played as much including preseason which is huge for development. So Smith has the benefit of more experience. Manuel either looks great - like today or he does nothing. Llke last week. He doesn't implode like smith today. Geno looked flat out awful.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right before Geno threw his first pick today, the refs called a false start on the Jets. There was some debate among the refs, and when it was clear the call was going against the Jets, Geno threw a mini-hissy fit. I thought to myself, hmm. Sure enough, next play, Byrd picks him.

Second pick came right after EJ's bomb to Goodwin. You could almost sense Geno was wound up, thinking "I've got to match that." Sure enough, he locks onto Holmes and rifles one 25 yards upfield...and Byrd is sitting on it again.

I think Geno gets caught up in the comparison more than EJ does. He also has a giant chip on his shoulder because he didn't go in the first round (remember, some were touting him last year as a potential #1 overall). I just don't think he has the maturity to face real adversity in this league. The minute things start going south, the wheels fall off.

Geno has had some pretty darn good games. The first game vs the Bills and the game vs the Saints to name two. He was impressive in both games. If you were to poll experts prior to today most would say that Geno looks like the better player. EJ was absolutely terrible last week, but thankfully he looked like a solid player this week. We can only hope that he keeps getting better.

Geno's stat line vs the Saints

8/19 119 yards and 0TDS

In what way have you seen Geno "developing"??

He's been extremely awful more often than not, and he looked completely lost today.

To me, Geno lacks poise and leadership. He seems to float a lot of passes and takes way too many chances with a lot of his throws. He also doesnt strike me as somebody who will put in countless hours studying game film and preparing himself for the opponents defense. He does have a pretty strong arm and doesnt throw a bad deep ball, but other than that, he isnt franchise quarterback material to me. As soon as things start unraveling and things dont go his way, he starts forcing throws and losing his composure.

Well said.

I think most would have had to say that Smith was developing faster than Manuel prior to today, but after what we say from Manuel today against a very good Jets defense I think Manuel showed that he has the ability to be the better of the two long term. After today, my hope has been renewed for Mr. Manuel. While we still have an outside chance to make the playoffs (with the 2nd easiest schedule in the league down the stretch) my biggest interest will still be to see how Manuel plays the rest of this season. If nothing else we really need to find out if Manuel is capable of being our franchise QB.

Most would say no such thing. Geno has had several putrid games with multiple turnovers. There is no basis in fact to make such a claim.

Well, most important is wins and losses. Right now, Geno and the Jets are 5-5, while Manuel and the Bills are 4-7. Both are rookies, there's going to be ups and downs. I don't care if Manuel is the best QB in the history of the NFL if we are finishing with a losing record every year. Time to win 5 in a row.

jets first win was the Lavante David late hit gift- you credit that to Gino ? Wow your really trying to find ways to make your opinion work

Right before Geno threw his first pick today, the refs called a false start on the Jets. There was some debate among the refs, and when it was clear the call was going against the Jets, Geno threw a mini-hissy fit. I thought to myself, hmm. Sure enough, next play, Byrd picks him.

Second pick came right after EJ's bomb to Goodwin. You could almost sense Geno was wound up, thinking "I've got to match that." Sure enough, he locks onto Holmes and rifles one 25 yards upfield...and Byrd is sitting on it again.

I think Geno gets caught up in the comparison more than EJ does. He also has a giant chip on his shoulder because he didn't go in the first round (remember, some were touting him last year as a potential #1 overall). I just don't think he has the maturity to face real adversity in this league. The minute things start going south, the wheels fall off.

I think his lack of maturity is why he dropped into the second round, that, and playing poorly at WVU in the second half of the season and disappearing in the SU v. WVU bowl game. Although, looking at WVU's record now, Geno definetly was a positive. He's an okay QB, but he needs a better mentor than Rex hissy-fit Ryan.

Last 3 games for Geno

36/72 377 yards 0 Tds and 5 INTs

1 rushing TD

The Jets fans will be calling for Simms to start (if they aren't already).

Gino has already made 20 turnovers. I would consider him the weakest QB in the AFC, along with Chad Henne.

Gino's best friends this season have been:

A) Lavonte David

B) A great defensive line

C) Justin Rogers

The Jets have a -86 point differential. The only team in the AFC with a worse differential is Jacksonville. The idea that he is piloting a playoff contender is a mirage.

Ummm...that is not the way it is done....most recent performance is the only thing that matters when judging players...get with the program, or you won't last long in these parts...

hehe----yes people are positively giddy after todays game. could change on a dime--well probbly not after atlanta which is awful--but after that

Simply, on the season, Geno has made more "big plays" than EJ, but he has also made more bad plays....both guys are developing, or not...ones' performance really has very little to do with how good, or bad, the other guy is,

Was nice to see the progression today. He finally didn't check it down every play and went for some long throws. Would like to see him string up a few performances like this over the last 5 games.

If he can, even with a couple of stinkers, that puts enough promise out there that we have a good base to build upon. I was getting worried there that he was only going to check down over and over and over.

I think most would have had to say that Smith was developing faster than Manuel prior to today.....

I think that the people who were saying that had not paid much attention to how Smith had been playing......and likely just focused on his one good game and the few highlight reel TD passes that get shown in the media.