Goodwin

I'm already in 2006 "please just launch it to Evans twice per qtr" territory with this guy. Part of that is still just not having a ton of faith in the "normal offense" but still...

He's now done it with 3 different qb's vs 3 excellent defenses (Bengals/Chiefs/Jets) as a rookie? Ridiculous.

Nice play by Graham but I still think he sucks.

Edited by BuffOrange

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing about Goodwin is watching him separate from the defender on a go route when the ball is in the air. Today's catch and the one Tuel threw to him were similar in that regard. Not only is he world class fast, he seems to be able to use it in the game. He is "football fast".

The thing about Goodwin is watching him separate from the defender on a go route when the ball is in the air. Today's catch and the one Tuel threw to him were similar in that regard. Not only is he world class fast, he seems to be able to use it in the game. He is "football fast".

He's every kind of fast.

It was great to see Goodwin separate on that deep ball, but I think it was sweeter to see EJ's throw. And his previous throw to TJ was great too.

Why on Earth would you put Goodwin in the slot?

you do realize that more than one route can be run from the slot. why wouldn't you use Goodwin in the slot?

You wouldn't.

why the **** not

for that one, I could list a dozen others that would go against what you're saying but there is no need. A draft bust is not ever going to hold up in an argument.

whoa you really showed me with your zero examples.

you do realize that more than one route can be run from the slot. why wouldn't you use Goodwin in the slot?

why the **** not

The benefit of having speed outside is that it forces a Catch-22 for how the defense uses their safeties. The faster the guy, the more likely that a safety will have to abandon the area between the hash marks. That's a boon to your running game and your possession receivers.

This is also why cornerbacks who can put receivers on an "island" are so valuable. They rarely need the help, which acts as a great boon to the run defense as well.

why the **** not

whoa you really showed me with your zero examples.

Woah, you're so edgy with your comebacks. Itwasn't worth my time. Its simple fact that most in football agree with, a tall strong WR makes a bigger difference then a flashy speedy WR. Big WR's take longer to develop, though.

This is also why cornerbacks who can put receivers on an "island" are so valuable. They rarely need the help, which acts as a great boon to the run defense as well.

And Goodwin smoked one of those so called "island" CB's which means with Spiller, Woods, and Graham in the lineup, that the d has big time speed matchup problems. TD Stevie!

Edited by BearNorth

The benefit of having speed outside is that it forces a Catch-22 for how the defense uses their safeties. The faster the guy, the more likely that a safety will have to abandon the area between the hash marks. That's a boon to your running game and your possession receivers.

you can run deep out of the slot too its all how your offense is designed. I don't get why people say because he is fast he should only play on the outside well what kind of fast is he. TJ graham would probably not be good in the slot because he is not very quick he has good straight line speed, but Goodwin can run all the routes and when matched up with the slower slot corners and possibly linebackers it is a mismatch. in a cover two defense the two outside routes will have a safety on top and you can use a fast receiver like Goodwin to split the safeties. there are infinite possibilities of coverages and formations to say that a player cant play in this position or that position.

you can run deep out of the slot too its all how your offense is designed. I don't get why people say because he is fast he should only play on the outside well what kind of fast is he. TJ graham would probably not be good in the slot because he is not very quick he has good straight line speed, but Goodwin can run all the routes and when matched up with the slower slot corners and possibly linebackers it is a mismatch. in a cover two defense the two outside routes will have a safety on top and you can use a fast receiver like Goodwin to split the safeties. there are infinite possibilities of coverages and formations to say that a player cant play in this position or that position.

I don't think it's an issue of "can't". And it's not like it doesn't happen: Roscoe Parrish is a pipsqueak compared to Goodwin's frame but suffice it to say a head-to-head race would be interesting, and Roscoe played the slot quite often when he was healthy.

I just think it's a waste of a resource. Goodwin's the type of player who can reduce the opposing defense to 9 men just by being on the field.

I wonder if it has ever happened before, a guy catching three TD bombs from three different quarterbacks in the same season.

If it has, I guarantee it wasn't the earlier guy's first three TDs in the NFL.

This kid is special.

Seems to have great hand eye cordination. He plays bigger than he is. Wide catch radius for a little guy. We could have our very own Deshawn Jackson.

he is so close to resembling DJ it's not funny. Size, speed, ability. Only he's not as much of an @$$ as DJ is.

he is so close to resembling DJ it's not funny. Size, speed, ability. Only he's not as much of an @$$ as DJ is.

Have to see him make some big plays on routes other than go's before I compare him to Jackson but the kid is promising and his acceleration is electrifying. You hear that word electrifying all the time but this kid is a different kind of fast than I've ever seen.

Have to see him make some big plays on routes other than go's before I compare him to Jackson but the kid is promising and his acceleration is electrifying. You hear that word electrifying all the time but this kid is a different kind of fast than I've ever seen.

thats where our opinions differ. Not anything to do with Goodwin. All on the Jackson front. IMO, all he is, is a deep threat. He's small and fast. He's not extremely physical and I've never seen him do much more than just getting separation. I suppose he has made plays but I don't recall it much. They always seem to be deep routes similar to what Goodwin has done so far. I don't (haven't) watched philly games much lately but when I used to watch them I never saw much out of the guy. He's a better version of Lee Evans.