Goodwin

I really did not expect to see Goodwin playing as well as he has.

He's proven that he is more than a deep threat, and looks like a more complete receiver than Graham is.

The sooner we get Woods & Stevie back, and the more that Manuel plays, I feel that the offense can really make some noise.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I've ever seen Cromartie line up "off the screen" in his career. He was definitely afraid of Goodwin's speed.

Goodwin's development will be further enhanced if the BILLS can ever get a TE who can bust the seam. Chandler is a nice player but an athletic TE with speed would make the BILLS almost impossible to defend.

I don't think I've ever seen Cromartie line up "off the screen" in his career. He was definitely afraid of Goodwin's speed.

And he still got toasted. I think it got to him a little too, after that TD Cromartie was pretty chippy out there.

Goodwin has the skill set to be very good. You get guys playing off like that because of your speed and the middle of the field is wide open for you if you run good routes and have decent hands - and Goodwin does. If he can just stay healthy...

That burst on the reverse just made me think of the roadrunner and the coyote. He seemed to have cartoon speed compared to the other players on the field.

On the one return he was so fast his own blockers actually held him back and got in the way. As a returner, I think you would actually have to design a blocking formation differently than a normal returner to take advantage of his speed. Possibly position his blockers staggered further up field (like a zone defense in reverse) rather than a normal scheme to give him the space to kick in those afterburners when he first gets the ball.

I was concerned about the time Cromartie tossed him out of bounds well before the throw rather than try to keep up with him. I would be concerned about that becoming a common occurrence if the refs are going to let that happen. As was said, his speed actually translates in an actual football speed which is so rare and makes him appear even faster compared to the other players on the field. He has a great lack of hesitation, which helps.

And he has footballs sense, smarts and hands.

Very impressed, hope he keeps it up the rest of the season and does not regress. My only concerns are about his durability once opponents just start mugging him and tossing him around in frustration with his speed like Cromartie did. I see a lot of cheap shots like that happening, when even a few strategic select penalties might be worth it if you hobble him early. Take away his burst, and you can neutralize him for the rest of the game.

Edited by simpleman

Goodwin's development will be further enhanced if the BILLS can ever get a TE who can bust the seam. Chandler is a nice player but an athletic TE with speed would make the BILLS almost impossible to defend.

YES. I've been beating this drum for awhile. An upgrade is needed there more than just about anywhere. It will also make EJ look a lot better.

YES. I've been beating this drum for awhile. An upgrade is needed there more than just about anywhere. It will also make EJ look a lot better.

Agreed. Besides QB, this is probably the biggest position we have neglected. How many times have the Bills drafted a TE in the first 3 rounds. I only remember Kevin Everett. It seems every really good offense has a good TE who is a matchup nightmare and some teams even have 2. I'd love a 1st/ 2nd round TE and Chandler.

And Goodwin is a stud. He plays way bigger than his size. His hands and toughness have really impressed me. He also has shown he can play on the outside, which is something smaller guys struggle to do.

Could. watch. all. day.

It's beautiful isn't it? I freakign love bombs. If I was a coach, I'd call a bomb every 6 plays.

And did you see what route Goodwin was running all day? 5 yard hitches. Cromartie plays way off and they get easy completions for EJ. Once Cromartie gets comfortable, BAM! 45 yard TD.

the best pat about this is that EJ probably could have had a TD to Graham or Hogan on this play as well. They were both open by a step on their DBs at the point of the ball being in the air. The safety over the top might had Hogan but no way he could have reached Graham. And even then, a pump fake to Goodwin and the safety bites and TD to any one of the 3 players. Hell, even Chandler would have had a big gain on the play. Was a perfectly drawn up play, executed perfectly, and what's even more impressive is that EJ threw that ball into a very strong headwind. That endzone is the same one where the Jets missed a kick and EJ soared a pass a few feet over from another TD to Hogan. The wind was brutal yesterday.

james hardy and desean Jackson

Also, the NFL leader in receptions is Antiono Brown. Tall WR's are great for the Red Zone, no doubt. But you need the quick guys to dial up a 55 yard pass.

Just an unbelievable throw. EJ lets it go at midfield and the ball travels 48 yards in the air, into the wind, hitting Goodwin in full stride. Marvelous.

That pass was sick. I kept waiting for the wind to stop it, but it didn't. Marrone should have them practice in that more often. Certinally worked for Carpenter, etc. The best thing about Goodwin is you can be safe and err on the side of overthrowing (unless there is a safety coming) because no one will outrun him to the ball.

Also, the NFL leader in receptions is Antiono Brown. Tall WR's are great for the Red Zone, no doubt. But you need the quick guys to dial up a 55 yard pass.

That pass was sick. I kept waiting for the wind to stop it, but it didn't. Marrone should have them practice in that more often. Certinally worked for Carpenter, etc. The best thing about Goodwin is you can be safe and err on the side of overthrowing (unless there is a safety coming) because no one will outrun him to the ball.

His acceleration was ridiculous. He has that long sprinter's stride that torched right by Cromartie.

The best part for me was that when EJ threw the ball, Goodwin was behind Cromartie. When he caught the ball, he was two yards past Cromartie. Just amazing speed and clear ability to track the ball. He's so much better than TJ it's not even debatable. Keep Stevie in the slot and Woods and Goodwin outside the rest of the year and only play Graham in four wides.