Ever want to see every pass play the Bills ran in a game?

jonramz

What are the notes at the top of most of the plays. Can you go through the order of each. I have an idea, but on some I see 3-10 and 1-10, so I assumed first down. But then some have 3-10, then 2-5. Just trying to see which ones where good and bad. Mostly to see if it is just my eye thinking that our passes from behind center are more effective, or if it is truth?

The notes at the top are shorthand for info about the play. I included all pass plays called regardless of penalty, scramble, sack, etc. I tried to go in this order...

play #, result of play, time-quarter, score, down& distance, yard line.

I should have made that more clear.

Thats funny, I tried to find a similar chart about the Bills drives during the Steelers game and this is what was there....

I laughed at this

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play 13 gotta go... it has everybody stopping and turning at the same yard and distance. I know it's not accurate but if it is, then Hackett gotta go for even drawing up a simple play like that.

Very common play at all levels. In the lower level systems I have been in referred to as "all stop". Very easy read for the Qb (pick your best matchup) and if the ball comes out on time it's an easy 5 yards

When I opened the page with the diagrams, there was an ad at the bottom for heroin addiction treatment. Hope that was just a coincidence, because the first thing I thought when I saw all those diagrams was "Man, you'd have to be on drugs to watch film of that Steelers game that closely" :nana:

Seriously, great job and thanks for sharing your hard work.

Very common play at all levels. In the lower level systems I have been in referred to as "all stop". Very easy read for the Qb (pick your best matchup) and if the ball comes out on time it's an easy 5 yards

Yeah I'm still not buying it... have one guy stop at 5 and the other at 10 and the other at 15 and it makes a little sense I guess. But all receivers stopping at the same yard and distance? No...

So I really like the strategy aspect of football... and after watching Thad and Tuel throw the ball downfield w/ some effectiveness, I wanted to see why EJ wasn't doing the same.

Therefore I diagrammed every pass play the Bills called against the Steelers.

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=393I've been asking for this and now I have it. Seems like a prayer answered, but, it proves, for at least one game, your perceptions were correct. Thanks much for pulling this together. The fan in me wishes it weren't so.

Things that I noticed were that there definitely were downfield throws that could have been made. EJ is not the best QB at throwing hooks/curls and still seems to need to see the guy open before he throws it. However, I think that he has the raw talent to be a good QB in the NFL.

Anyways, I thought it would be interesting to discuss...

-Jon

After the game, I posted a thread asking if anyone had compiled footage of all of EJM's throws (got closed...). I have seen comps. like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l5DVH67zGE ,

of prospects pre-draft. I was wondering if anyone was doing something like that, or might know where to find it? I would do it myself, but I get the games streaming, and don't have the technology available to do it.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I thought there were lots of trips formation against the Steelers that didn't make sense but we kept calling them with a very low degree of success. I don't know what they were expecting to exploit on their defense, but they didn't work.

I thought there were lots of trips formation against the Steelers that didn't make sense but we kept calling them with a very low degree of success. I don't know what they were expecting to exploit on their defense, but they didn't work.

I feel like every pass play called had a low rate of success in general. Don't know how much of it's EJ and how much of it's Hackett.

This is what he is referring to: http://nickelcitybil...-in-pittsburgh/

Great work with the charts!

kj

Wow, zero passes attempted across the deep middle. I know everyone wants to blame Hacket's play calling but this is on EJ. He is very tentative because he doesn't want to make a mistake. Not the mentality you need as an NFL QB.

Play 13 gotta go... it has everybody stopping and turning at the same yard and distance. I know it's not accurate but if it is, then Hackett gotta go for even drawing up a simple play like that.

play 21 is very similar.

...and thanks OP for this, very cool

Edited by wnysteel

Wow, zero passes attempted across the deep middle. I know everyone wants to blame Hacket's play calling but this is on EJ.

He is very trentative because he doesn't want to make a mistake. Not the mentality you need as an NFL QB.

fixed. Remember, spelling counts.

Edited by maddenboy