Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a balance, between experience and teaching new guys.

Really, it's not that big of a deal, and it doesn't reveal some kind of deficiency in the coaches. They know more about the situation than we do. Whining about this all season is really ridiculous.

I do agree on the balance for sure. I just don't see any reason to use any resources on scrubs. I'd rather have boom or bust guys like Rogers, Mike Jasper, etc... At worst they are as good as the last couple of players. At best they are effective NFL players.

Colts' fans takes are interesting.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/25176-crazy-catch-by-rogers/

Someone said it earlier but there is no reason that anyone can say that he was worse for the Bills than the last couple of WR. People have just dug in their heels and decided that they didnt like him. As the season has gone on those that have defended him have predictably gotten more and more ammo. The case just keeps getting stronger. Those that defended the scrubs have provided some of the weakest arguments in any of the threads out there and that's part of the reason that this has spun out of control.

All the detractors say is, "Oh, he's a legend. He made 1 play!" That is 1 more play at WR than CH or ME has made in their careers. I think that even the biggest detractors must admit that he will have a better career than both Easley & Hogan (probably Graham too) combined. So, why would anyone defend a decision that so obviously made the football team worse?

What did DR produce exactly? In preseason Hogan played better. And since none of us were on the inside to know the daily ins and outs about commitment level etc. there really is no reason to question DR’s release. It could be getting cut woke him up enough to be somewhat productive with the Colts.

I watched the entire preseason all our games, Where was these plays by Hogan? If anything Kuafman had a way better preseason then both of them and he deserved the roster spot. What I did see was DR score a nice Td on a fade route. Which btw none of our wr's have done all season.

Im tired of reading bout Hogans preseason. What he had a couple of 5yd catches with no separation.. The kid made the team cause of his knowledge of the offense that's bout it

rogers1.gif

And our guys can't even catch wide open passes.

Good call, Marrone and co.!

This kind of catch from a big, physical, fast WR is a missing element from the Bills' passing game. Rogers is exactly the kind of WR that the Bills will be looking at in the upcoming draft. A little patience can go a long way both literally and figuratively. :oops:

rogers1.gif

And our guys can't even catch wide open passes.

Good call, Marrone and co.!

ugh…i probably need to stop coming to this topic. Every time I come back I get more disappointed with the decision.

I was out during the game and just remember thinking, "what a catch!". I didn't even realize it was THIS good. Kid can ball, plain and simple.

Sad thing is, if he was on the Bills he probably wouldn't get to play because Hackett and Maron would still be trying to get the ball to Graham instead. The Bills make me sick. Everyone was so excited about Rogers and then we let him go without any real explanation. What the hell.

This kind of catch from a big, physical, fast WR is a missing element from the Bills' passing game. Rogers is exactly the kind of WR that the Bills will be looking at in the upcoming draft. A little patience can go a long way both literally and figuratively. :oops:

I'm hoping they'll look for a guy that is far better than Rodgers

I'm hoping they'll look for a guy that is far better than Rodgers

This draft is loaded with WRs. Maybe they will be worse off, so to speak, for having to "waste" a pick on one instead of having one who was undrafted. Or maybe it won't be a waste and he'll turn out to be better overall.

This draft is loaded with WRs. Maybe they will be worse off, so to speak, for having to "waste" a pick on one instead of having one who was undrafted. Or maybe it won't be a waste and he'll turn out to be better overall.

Nope. Even if they land Sammy Watkins DR should probably be on the roster anyway because there are 2 or 3 guys who have no business being there.

No question DR is a very raw prospect and there is no guarantee he will amount to anything.

But it is also clear that he is loaded with talent and that he is trying to make a go of it.

When he cut him Marrone acknowledged DRs talent but said he was looking for immediate production and not down the road.

We'll he didn't get that production from CJ, Easley, Hogan and Kauffman (who was let go after DR).

I guess we are just not in the business of developing raw talent (tho I thought that's what coaches are supposed to do).

Oh wait! EJ is as raw as they come. While DR prolly had late first or early second round talent, EJ would almost certainly go third or later if he was in this years draft.

But EJ aced the interview process. He's a good boy and we like him.

Ok, but that does not win many football games.

One may wonder why so lengthy a thread is dedicated to a raw prospect and a head case.

The reason is that it has little to do with DR, who is gone for good.

It had to do with Marrone who is still here.

Yeah. Colts are still alive and something tells me they don't give a crap about Jerry Hughes at all.

Yeah, who needs a double digit sack guy when u just gave up 45 points to Alex Smith. Their defense is terrible.

Perhaps, we should trade Hughes for the great Rogers. This thread is embarrassing.

At least we have a #1 elite WR.

stevie-johnson-dropped-pass-o.gif

FORSAKEN-AGAIN.gif

sjdrop.gif?w=400&h=225

stevie-johnson-fumble-buf.gif

Ah Bills fans. Let's trash the 7th rounder pick who worked his way up to 3 straight 1,000 yards seasons and praise the lazy, undrafted FA who can't stop smoking weed.

Yeah, who needs a double digit sack guy when u just gave up 45 points to Alex Smith. Their defense is terrible.

Perhaps, we should trade Hughes for the great Rogers. This thread is embarrassing.

Ah Bills fans. Let's trash the 7th rounder pick who worked his way up to 3 straight 1,000 yards seasons and praise the lazy, undrafted FA who can't stop smoking weed.

Ok, enough with the false choices and hyperbole.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we had a choice between Hughes or Rogers. At one point we had and still could have both.

Stevie is a good, solid, receiver. I don't think that's really being debated. Sometimes these things go off the rails, but again, did and still should have both Stevie and Da'Rick on the roster.

Where are you getting this information that DR is addicted to weed and lazy? Honestly? Other than things he did years ago, there hasn't been any mention of him being a pothead or lazy.

At this point there is no reasonable argument that the Bills are better off with the guys that they kept over Rogers. I haven't even seen anyone try to argue it. They just downplay what he has done. There is no consideration of the future and how muh the gap will widen between him and the scrubs on the Bills roster. So far his stats, potential, size, speed and college pedigree are all superior to the scrubs. I am not sure what anyone likes better about the scrubs? I guess that Easley because is an elite gunner so he gets a bit of a pass from me. I have no earthly idea why they bothered with CH.

This whole debate was a 1st RD TKO followed by 45 pages of Rogers supporters dancing in the end zone. I come here for good healthy Bills discussion. I find it maddening when someone blindly defends mistakes that are obvious. There is no argument whether CH over Rogers was the right decision and there is no argument that Danny Crossman deserves that position.

We are well aware that we cannot impact these choices but that is not a reason that they should not be discussed. We can barely influence any of the topics that we discuss on here (attendance and a few others we can). I have been a Marrone supporter and think that he has the mentality and approach to be a good head coach. With that being said he has made a few decisions that just make no sense. I hope that he continues to grow as does the rest of the team.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Nope. Even if they land Sammy Watkins DR should probably be on the roster anyway because there are 2 or 3 guys who have no business being there.

No question DR is a very raw prospect and there is no guarantee he will amount to anything.

But it is also clear that he is loaded with talent and that he is trying to make a go of it.

When he cut him Marrone acknowledged DRs talent but said he was looking for immediate production and not down the road.

We'll he didn't get that production from CJ, Easley, Hogan and Kauffman (who was let go after DR).

I guess we are just not in the business of developing raw talent (tho I thought that's what coaches are supposed to do).

Oh wait! EJ is as raw as they come. While DR prolly had late first or early second round talent, EJ would almost certainly go third or later if he was in this years draft.

One may wonder why so lengthy a thread is dedicated to a raw prospect and a head case.

Fair point there!

Actually there were several valid reasons why the ENTIRE BILLS ORGANIZATION decided to cut ties with Rogers when it did, based on how he performed this summer and what they thought was needed to turn him around in light of how they needed to build their imprint on the team vs the ongoing crusade over Colts 5th WR, who keeps moving up the line due to injuries.

Where were these threads when Bills cut Derek Hagan who had a much more impressive college & pro career? You can make fun of Hogan or Easley, but they did contribute to the tewam this year, something that Rogers would not have. I don't even know why you go back to arguing it. Rogers would not have been activated had Colts WRs stayed healthy. Bills did not lose WRs for the season, so at best, Rogers would have remained on the PS. So why did your argument twist again on your crusade?

If the argument is for next season, then Bills can get equivalent performance in later rounds. I don't see much difference between Rogers & Denarius Moore, who was taken in the 5th round. You also can't discount Kaufman, who clearly outplayed Rogers in the summer.

It's easy to beat up on Hogan, but fact is that he contributed to the team, while Rogers would not have.

Ok, enough with the false choices and hyperbole.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we had a choice between Hughes or Rogers. At one point we had and still could have both.

Stevie is a good, solid, receiver. I don't think that's really being debated. Sometimes these things go off the rails, but again, did and still should have both Stevie and Da'Rick on the roster.

Where are you getting this information that DR is addicted to weed and lazy? Honestly? Other than things he did years ago, there hasn't been any mention of him being a pothead or lazy.

Someone heard, from their Aunt's neighbor's Grandma whose son cuts some players hair, that he was tokin' in training camp. Or something like that. :rolleyes:

He failed multiple drug tests and got kicked out if Tennessee. What more do you need?

Any indication he had touched the stuff in the last 18 months or so? I'll admit the team may know much more than we do on that front but to present it as fact that he still is doesn't see quite accurate

Actually there were several valid reasons why the ENTIRE BILLS ORGANIZATION decided to cut ties with Rogers when it did, based on how he performed this summer and what they thought was needed to turn him around in light of how they needed to build their imprint on the team vs the ongoing crusade over Colts 5th WR, who keeps moving up the line due to injuries.

Where were these threads when Bills cut Derek Hagan who had a much more impressive college & pro career? You can make fun of Hogan or Easley, but they did contribute to the tewam this year, something that Rogers would not have. I don't even know why you go back to arguing it. Rogers would not have been activated had Colts WRs stayed healthy. Bills did not lose WRs for the season, so at best, Rogers would have remained on the PS. So why did your argument twist again on your crusade?

If the argument is for next season, then Bills can get equivalent performance in later rounds. I don't see much difference between Rogers & Denarius Moore, who was taken in the 5th round. You also can't discount Kaufman, who clearly outplayed Rogers in the summer.

It's easy to beat up on Hogan, but fact is that he contributed to the team, while Rogers would not have.

10 catches for 83 yards, a couple of drops and miserable ST play was contributing? That is how you contribute to a 6-10 team.

Derek Hagan was a great college player but he was slow. I think that he ran like a 4.6 at the combine. He could not get seperation in the NFL.

In regards to Kaufman, I would have loved them to give him a shot. I thought that his frame offered something that the Bills were missing.

If Rogers averages about 60 catches, 800 yards and 7 TDs a season it is a huge mistake. I think that those are what his numbers will be based on his performance and the increased role that the Colts fans seem to expect to see. I believe that he already has more catches, yards and TDs than CH will have in his career. One will average around 60 catches a year and the other will be out of the league. It was a mistake.

10 catches for 83 yards, a couple of drops and miserable ST play was contributing? That is how you contribute to a 6-10 team.

Derek Hagan was a great college player but he was slow. I think that he ran like a 4.6 at the combine. He could not get seperation in the NFL.

In regards to Kaufman, I would have loved them to give him a shot. I thought that his frame offered something that the Bills were missing.

If Rogers averages about 60 catches, 800 yards and 7 TDs a season it is a huge mistake. I think that those are what his numbers will be based on his performance and the increased role that the Colts fans seem to expect to see. I believe that he already has more catches, yards and TDs than CH will have in his career. One will average around 60 catches a year and the other will be out of the league. It was a mistake.

10 catches for 83 yards is a bigger contribution than zero, which is what Rogers would have contributed this year.

Don't conflate the arguments. No one is saying that Hogan has a higher career ceiling than Rogers. That would be insane. But it's also easy (for many) to see why the Bills organization, at that point in time, chose Hogan over Rogers. it was the right decision at the time it was made.

Edited by GG

10 catches for 83 yards is a bigger contribution than zero, which is what Rogers would have contributed this year.

Don't conflate the arguments. No one is saying that Hogan has a higher career ceiling than Rogers. That would be insane. But it's also easy (for many) to see why the Bills organization, at that point in time, chose Hogan over Rogers. it was the right decision at the time it was made.

Fair enough. That's just where we disagree. At the time I thought that it was a mistake and as time goes on how big of a mistake it was will only continue to grow.

I thought that they should have kept him on the active roster for 1 season. I was worried that if they tried to PS him someone would have grabbed him. If he didn't develop and mature you could cut him loose in the offseason. IMO, they didn't have a viable alternative that they needed the spot for. I felt like it was a free look at a talented player in a position of need.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I guess the problem here is that the Bills set very high expectations for Rogers coming off a season in D3 college football where he probably ran 1-2 routes tops and played against inferior opponents.

There should of been more patients with DR, considering where he came from. Idk what the hell Marrone was thinking. We had the right idea but obviously the wrong approach. To qoute the great Mike Mayock this kid is like a piece of clay and needs to be molded over time. I believe he said that bout EJ when we drafted him but the same thing should of applied to the Young Unpolished DR..

He failed multiple drug tests and got kicked out if Tennessee. What more do you need?

He has not had a positive drug test in almost 2 years from what I can tell...He was 20 years old when he messed up at Tennessee...By all accounts the pot smoking is a complete non issue now...It usually leaks out if a player like Rogers tests positive anywhere along the line...No such leaks that I can find...Don't get me wrong...Rogers had massive maturity issues at Tennessee...But by most accounts he has done nothing but mature since that situation...He's still just a kid...Kids make mistakes...But I think if you look at it objectively Rogers is a kid that could have completely thrown it all away...Instead he straightened up enough to play in the NFL...He's obviously not a finished product...But he certainly seems to be moving in the right direction... B-)

I guess the problem here is that the Bills set very high expectations for Rogers coming off a season in D3 college football where he probably ran 1-2 routes tops and played against inferior opponents.

There should of been more patients with DR, considering where he came from. Idk what the hell Marrone was thinking. We had the right idea but obviously the wrong approach. To qoute the great Mike Mayock this kid is like a piece of clay and needs to be molded over time. I believe he said that bout EJ when we drafted him but the same thing should of applied to the Young Unpolished DR..

Totally agree with this take...

IMHO Marrone pitched DR to establish his own authority in the locker room. It's part of the culture change that's underway, and it might have been a high price to pay but it had to be paid. If DR came around as a rookie next year, now that Marrone is firmly in control, he might have kept him and worked on the molding clay business.

As it is, we gave up DR plus Tashard Choice to the Colts for nothing, but they along with Kelvin Sheppard are still not as good as Jerry Hughes all by himself.

It's a matter of perspective...

If you agree with Marrone, the way he decided to build this roster, and the decision he made than fine...It was the right decision...

If you believe that a 6-10 team that was...at least at times...in desperate need of play-makers at the WR position...And is still in desperate need of playmakers at the WR position, so much so that the odds on favorite for their #1 pick in the upcoming Draft is a WR...Then I doubt you can assume it was the right decision...

I'm not even saying I know that it was the wrong decision long-term...But I am saying that right now It's no where near cut and dry...Not even close IMHO... B-)

It's a matter of perspective...

If you agree with Marrone, the way he decided to build this roster, and the decision he made than fine...It was the right decision...

If you believe that a 6-10 team that was...at least at times...in desperate need of play-makers at the WR position...And is still in desperate need of playmakers at the WR position, so much so that the odds on favorite for their #1 pick in the upcoming Draft is a WR...Then I doubt you can assume it was the right decision...

I'm not even saying I know that it was the wrong decision long-term...But I am saying that right now It's no where near cut and dry...Not even close IMHO... B-)

See the post above and my prior comments on the theory why Marrone let Rogers go. It was a bigger issue than waiting for Rogers' talent to emerge. Marrone & rest of the coaches obviously felt the risk vs reward weren't there in their juncture with the organization. Blame timing on this stroke of bad luck. I'm highly confident that if Rogers was in Bills' camp last year, Gailey would have extended a longer leash, just like if Rogers was in camp in 2014, Marrone would also have a different outlook.

I don't blame Marrone for having a lot more priorities in building his first roster than worrying what to do with a talented but UDFA WR.

Or maybe I'm trashing Marrone and co for letting go of Rogers while we have big questions at WR.

Nah. That'd make too much sense.

I wish I had some way of starting a slow clap. This post is excellent.

See the post above and my prior comments on the theory why Marrone let Rogers go. It was a bigger issue than waiting for Rogers' talent to emerge. Marrone & rest of the coaches obviously felt the risk vs reward weren't there in their juncture with the organization. Blame timing on this stroke of bad luck. I'm highly confident that if Rogers was in Bills' camp last year, Gailey would have extended a longer leash, just like if Rogers was in camp in 2014, Marrone would also have a different outlook.

I don't blame Marrone for having a lot more priorities in building his first roster than worrying what to do with a talented but UDFA WR.

Both you and KOKBILLS bring some sanity back to the table.

Thank you .

I wish Da'rick the best of luck. I am glad he has the opportunity and makes the most of it. i will be looking for him in the

game.

I also am looking forward to our Bills solving the Nix question this off season.

Open when he isnt .

Watch for Rogers to light up the Pats soon.

I will be watching the game for sure

I wish I had some way of starting a slow clap. This post is excellent.

I wholly disagree.

Or maybe I'm trashing Marrone and co for letting go of Rogers while we have big questions at WR.

Nah. That'd make too much sense.

The WR' were ALL questions at the beginning of the training camp besides Stevie . as were the QB's.

Blaming Marrone for such a small error is overblowing the matter altogether

i doubt there are fans of any other team that could devote almost 50 pages of arguments to how we screwed the pooch on a UDFA, that no team - including the one he's playing for - thought enough of, to draft in the first place..

this place should have it's own reality show.. :doh:

i doubt there are fans of any other team that could devote almost 50 pages of arguments to how we screwed the pooch on a UDFA, that no team - including the one he's playing for - thought enough of, to draft in the first place..

this place should have it's own reality show.. :doh:

You must not be familiar with the origin of the word fan. :)