Digging Deep - why do you remain a fan of this franchise?

BuffaloBill

Born in 1960 and raised in South Buffalo to a sports oriented family. The Bills and I are the same age. Have been a fan since the days of Cookie, Kemp, Stratton and all the other men from the AFL champion years. I shall root for no other team. For me it is the Bills or nothing at all. Win or lose, they are my team.

Edited by Nitro

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great thread and a tough question. I remain a Bills fan because I have followed them since I was a kid. Like others on this thread, I will say that I feel let down by the front office of the Bills (have felt this way for a long time now). I'm not certain they care as much about this team as we do. What saddens me is that we've had some excellent players come through our doors over the past 20 years that have never experienced playoff success (Eric Moulds, Fred Jackson, etc...) due to poor front office decision making. In summation, loyalty is why I'm a fan of this franchise.

Born & raised in WNY. I'm part of the Baby Boomer generation & started taking an interest in playing sports when the AFL started in 1960. Naturally I've been a Bills fan ever since then. Saw a few games at "the Rock Pile" in the 60's & love those championship years the Bills had. Moved away from WNY after college but never moved away from being a fan. Never will, its in my blood. Go Bills!

I have issues.

I'm okay with that .

Very nice to read about the history of you folks indeed , especially you old timers !

I will root root root for them til they move. Then i am done with NFL football. simple as as that.

Go Bills !

Go Bills Fans!

I am a fan of Bills fans and the jerseys, but not a fan of the bumbling ownership/management group.

Polian, Kelly, Thurman, Bruce and Andre laid the foundation for this franchise to become a mini-Green Bay and instead they are running it into the ground.

We are just like Gren Bay. After their first 2 SB wins and prior NFL Championships wins, they only had 2 playoff appearances over the next 25 years. With many of them being really poor years. We just have to wait until our upturn comes in another 12 years.

Edited by bmacdona

13" black and white, Furgy to Butler, Cribbs in the backfield with my grandfather. Homemade pizza and wings on the west side of Buffalo. Priceless

Late teens early twenties were all about going to the game with buddies and enjoying Kelly, Thomas, Bruce and the boys dominate the league. That was a lot of fun and luckily no major felonies came from it.

I moved away to the SF bay area at the beginning of our current playoff drought and although every loss doesn't ruin my day anymore, every win makes it!!

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

Great thread !

I moved away from Buffalo about 15 years ago -- my son, who is 15, became a diehard Bills fan, in large part because of me, but also because of aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents back in Buffalo who are fans --- my wife always complains, why did you make your son a Bills fan ? --- why not Colts (I then remind her where the Colts were pre-Peyton) --- anyway, I digres

For me, it comes down to not wanting to quit on the team and the city where I was raised -- for those of you who have spent your entire lives in WNY, I've actually found my love for the city / team has increased with distance --- I feel a responsibility to defend it, champion it and celebrate it -- especially as I encounter cocky Dallas fans ---

So, in the end, to me, it's who I am --- and (unfortunately) who my son is

I ask myself this a lot. I guess growing up in S.Buffalo has something to do with it. It sticks with you like a bad disease. I`m almost 55 now and my interest is starting to dwindle. Same old,same old year after year. Is it the QBs we get or coaching ? I think it`s both. Until we get a franchise QB and good OC ,we will remain losers.Let`s go Buffalooo.

What else am I going to do. I have found myself less into football than I used to be. When the Bills lose I just have to avoid all football highlights and talk for several days. So as you can tell I've been pretty detached from football. If it wasn't for fantasy football I'd probably wouldn't even bother watching any football. Only in a fantasy is my team competitive.

No doubt that the results of the game yesterday and this season generally likely killed any slim hopes that the Bills have escaped yet another rebuilding year. I ask a question seriously and not with any contempt for the organization or it's fans - what keeps you coming back?

For me the Bills tie me back to the "homeland." I've lived away from B-Lo and WNY since graduation from college. I miss many aspects of life back there and the Bills are my "connection." It is cool to me to meet anyone from WNY anywhere in the world and you can nearly always connect through talk about the Bills or maybe the Sabres.

There is also just a pride that comes with knowing that hanging in during the hard years will make the next series of great ones that much better.

What do you have to say?

I think you will see some good things the last 6 games . I feel it. Going Saints away, KC on a bye and Steelers away after a big loss in consecutive weeks is tough. It doesn't matter who you play, it matters when you play them. Jets after their bye will be tough, too, but maybe we get Woods and Chandler back and EJ gets coached up more this week and we see a different guy.

This is a pretty good team. I like the fronts on both sides of the ball. Just weak at the QB position right now, but we knew that would be the case when they blew up the position and started over again. They will get there. Hopefully, free agency doesn't strip the team on the offseason...

like many others said it's a tie to my hometown, family and especially my dad. things really aren't all that much different now then back then. lots of memories a room full of adults heatedly discussing how to fix the mess that was the bills and me as a kid just soaking it all in. many of the solutions are the same ones you read here now. ab better qb was always in there. the bills still lose a lot more than they win, they do boneheaded stuff repeatedly and ralph wilson though, fading is still as my dad always called him, a shyster. the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Love the Bills. Wins always make us feel good but it is just a game. Hate the Ls. W or L changes nothing in my life from day to day.

I will be in Buffalo to watch them beat the Jets this weekend.

GO BILLS

Other than the last sentence, you represented my thoughts to a tee.

A very good question. I really want to see this team be successful and win. Every year is a let down and I question why I buy Sunday Ticket and spend $225+ yearly to yell and scream at my TV, or turn off after half time knowing what the outcome will be. Most of all I miss family time as my kids and wife are not interested. As an earlier poster said ... it may be a sickness

Because WNY is my home and I love the Bills with all my heart. I wouldn't get so mad about how much they suck if I didn't care so deeply.

I've spent 10 years away from Rochester, living in two other regions of the country, in two other NFL fan bases. I wouldn't trade the spirit and camaraderie of Bills nation for anything in the world. Yes, even counting the 4 straight SB losses.

I've moved back to WNY twice now and won't be doing it again. I'm here for good now.

Edited by jimmyo