WGR Interview: Joe DeLamielleure diagnosed with CTE

@WGR550

If you missed Joe DeLamielleure talking CTE on WGR, it's a must listen http://audio.wgr550....ow.htm

Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett, former NY Giants DT Leonard Marshall diagnosed with CTE

Dorsett told The News in August that he has been battling depression and anger issues for years, and that part of his cautious optimism toward the settlement was due to his disappointment that there was no provision for former players' receiving guaranteed health insurance.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@WGR550

If you missed Joe DeLamielleure talking CTE on WGR, it's a must listen http://audio.wgr550....ow.htm

Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett, former NY Giants DT Leonard Marshall diagnosed with CTE

Dorsett told The News in August that he has been battling depression and anger issues for years, and that part of his cautious optimism toward the settlement was due to his disappointment that there was no provision for former players' receiving guaranteed health insurance.

The NFL has a huge problem on its hands. IMO, the talent level is going to start dropping in a few years when more and more kids are turned to other less contact sports.

The NFL has a huge problem on its hands. IMO, the talent level is going to start dropping in a few years when more and more kids are turned to other less contact sports.

Having seen how some areas, particularly in the south like Texas, treat high school football I think that it will take more than a few years. But yeah, this brain injury snowball is just starting to gain momentum.

I thoroughly recommend listening to it. I was listening to WGR on my iPhone App on the way into work. Initially, when Howard said that he would be interviewing Joe D. about CTE etc., I thought about listening to something else, because I did not want to get depressed. I listened to it, and I am glad I did.

Football is so entrenched in American society any decline would take a long time to be felt, but there is a parallel here, and it is boxing. Boxing was once the biggest sport in the USA, with huge events on free TV/Radio and huge gates. Over time the promoters discovered the joys of PPV, and various slices of the population turned away from the sport's brutality and its obvious health risks. Now boxing still exists, but it is a niche sport drawing its competitors from the ranks of the poor and disadvantaged who have little to lose.

Football is so entrenched in American society any decline would take a long time to be felt, but there is a parallel here, and it is boxing. Boxing was once the biggest sport in the USA, with huge events on free TV/Radio and huge gates. Over time the promoters discovered the joys of PPV, and various slices of the population turned away from the sport's brutality and its obvious health risks. Now boxing still exists, but it is a niche sport drawing its competitors from the ranks of the poor and disadvantaged who have little to lose.

the NFL already draws its competitors from the ranks of the poor, a lot of of players are poor kids who see football as a way out

. Boxing was once the biggest sport in the USA, with huge events on free TV/Radio and huge gates. Over time the promoters discovered the joys of PPV, and various slices of the population turned away from the sport's brutality and its obvious health risks. Now boxing still exists, but it is a niche sport drawing its competitors from the ranks of the poor and disadvantaged who have little to lose.

I don't know......................MMA is HUGELY popular and has displaced boxing

http://regressing.deadspin.com/5920006/can-science-see-inside-an-nfl-players-skull-before-its-too-late/1460211724/@kylenw

really good article on deadspin for those interested in the new developments and how its now being diagnosed in living players, how it could lead to baseline testing for young players etc.... talks about instead of helmet protection researching ways to force more liquid into the skull to help pad the brains movement internally even - which sounds cool.

Edited by NoSaint

I could say so much about the whole CTE situation... but won't.

I will say if soccer ever replaces football I will just off myself to avoid what a miserable place this country would become...

Given soccers popularity in the rest of the world, and its popularity among kids (at least in my area), it is pretty amazing to me that it hasn't already.

Its pretty interesting to go to a kids soccer game and talk to some of the dads. In the beginning of the season they claim a dislike for the sport, and at the same time admit to not even understanding the rules. They have been to trained to believe "football good, soccer bad". Then by the end of the season after they have watched some, and took the time to learn the game and the rules, they reluctantly admit starting to like the game. That its possible that "football good, soccer good too" is also a possibility.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I will say if soccer ever replaces football I will just off myself to avoid what a miserable place this country would become...

I used to hate Soccer as well ( futebol ) but now living in Brasil I have found a liking to it. I now see the other side of American sports ( what people here in Brasil tell me ). Baseball is slow and boring as hell. Football is a game that has more commercials than the actual game. The puck cant even be seen in Hockey. And the last 2 minutes of an NBA game takes 20 minutes. In Soccer, there are no commercials, there are no replays, there is no annoying music to entertain in between commercials, there are 0 commercials. If the game starts at 6:00, You know it will end at 7:45. give or take 5 minutes. I now watch the Bills games a few hours after its over cuz I get to watch the condensed version and it only kills 1 hour of my life! Soccer is good. Don't let the American Media tell you different.

Come on - I want to read what you have to say about CTE. I myself would just like to see one former player NOT diagnosed with it.

As for soccer, you can start learning how to do the chants.....

Come on - I want to read what you have to say about CTE. I myself would just like to see one former player NOT diagnosed with it.

As for soccer, you can start learning how to do the chants.....

RE soccer

It was the early 90's that soccer fields popped up everywhere. Kids 4-17 were all playing. It was the social thing to do. It still is. Its a low risk and very social game that is easy for children to feel succesful. My niece and nephew play. Its fun for them. The big expensive travel teams exist because parents pay a crap ton for it. I knew 4 girls on the junior Olympic team in the late 90's. The soccer foundation whatever it was knows it was vital to get a youth program started to develop youth and draw interest. And now its been 20+ years since those fields were made. The acres and acres of fields are still there. And yet the fan base did not grow equally with respect to everyone who played. And many of those fields are now being converted to LAX. Because that is the next soccer. So spare me soccer fans. Its a great fun sport but it does draw what football does attention wise.

RE CTE

Hit your head a lot and you're going to damage something. I have no doubt that I have some lingering ailments from my younger sports days. And I am only 32. These guys doing it for 20 years of their life... of course. Just like carpenters have hand problems. And cashiers have sore knees and feet. And desk workers are a little heavier with bad backs. And so on and so forth. cTE is awful and I hate it for them but with anything in life there is risk. Anyone who doesn't understand that doesn't need to and can go on in their happy little life.

CTE in 10% of the entire NFL population? Is that about right? Is there an accurate number anywhere? Are they only going to count vested NFL players? What about the 2-3 year players that never made the Union and can't really be considered?

RE soccer

It was the early 90's that soccer fields popped up everywhere. Kids 4-17 were all playing. It was the social thing to do. It still is. Its a low risk and very social game that is easy for children to feel succesful. My niece and nephew play. Its fun for them. The big expensive travel teams exist because parents pay a crap ton for it. I knew 4 girls on the junior Olympic team in the late 90's. The soccer foundation whatever it was knows it was vital to get a youth program started to develop youth and draw interest. And now its been 20+ years since those fields were made. The acres and acres of fields are still there. And yet the fan base did not grow equally with respect to everyone who played. And many of those fields are now being converted to LAX. Because that is the next soccer. So spare me soccer fans. Its a great fun sport but it does draw what football does attention wise.

I agree with you except that even though LAX is popular as well, soccer fields, at least here, and not being converted to LAX fields. And kids 4-17 are STILL playing. I think that the main reason the games popularity in the US has not significantly increased with adults is due to the lack of a a good quality professional league here. The MLS bringing in a few big name players at the end of their careers when they can't cut it in the top European leagues any more is a joke. Soccer is wildly popular in the rest of the world, it is an interesting phenomenon that it is not here.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think an issue is the collisions themselves... even with a super high-tech futuristic helmet, the sudden deceleration caused by a hit makes the brain move forward into the skull (internally) and no helmet can stop that

thats why i thought the part in the deadspin link was pretty cool - im no doctor and i just skimmed it but essentially it was talking about ways to change the makeup of what is INSIDE the skull instead of just putting another shell on the outside.

a quick excerpt from the link a few posts back:

Think of it this way: In a collision, the brain is basically driving without a seatbelt or an airbag. While better helmets and the banning of helmet-to-helmet detonations might help keep your skull intact, they would do nothing to stop the brain from smashing into the windshield in even minor collisions. So how do you stop the brain from taking a beating on every routine block, tackle, and other impact—the real killers?

Bailes's answer to this brain slosh amounts to stuffing the whole car full of packing peanuts. His newest research takes groups of rats and puts a small, circular device around their necks, compressing their internal jugular veins. That increases the volume of blood in the skull, which creates added pressure on the brain, locking it in place. In theory, that should keep the brain's movement inside the skull more in line with the skull's own movement, allowing all the new space-age helmets to do their jobs.

Edited by NoSaint

I think an issue is the collisions themselves... even with a super high-tech futuristic helmet, the sudden deceleration caused by a hit makes the brain move forward into the skull (internally) and no helmet can stop that

This is true. And the collision clock starts ticking from pee-wee football right on up through high school, college, and pros. There are untold thousands of un-diagnosed concussions in football leagues every weekend across this country. Once you get the first one, the next one is exponentially easier to sustain and with less of a force required. Brains of children are particularly at risk.

GO BILLS!!!

I used to hate Soccer as well ( futebol ) but now living in Brasil I have found a liking to it. I now see the other side of American sports ( what people here in Brasil tell me ). Baseball is slow and boring as hell. Football is a game that has more commercials than the actual game. The puck cant even be seen in Hockey. And the last 2 minutes of an NBA game takes 20 minutes. In Soccer, there are no commercials, there are no replays, there is no annoying music to entertain in between commercials, there are 0 commercials. If the game starts at 6:00, You know it will end at 7:45. give or take 5 minutes. I now watch the Bills games a few hours after its over cuz I get to watch the condensed version and it only kills 1 hour of my life! Soccer is good. Don't let the American Media tell you different.

I'm so jealous that you get to look at the hot Brazilian women every day...