Incognito and the political correctness factor

The story in Miami is now national and goes something like this:

Subject A causes a generally hostile work environment for Subject B ... and extorts him out of money ... and, oh yeah, by the way, allegedly threatens his life. And the lead in every story is Subject A calls Subject B a bad racial name. THEN it's the life threatening stuff.

Before, he was just a bully who took it too far. NOW he's a raaciisstt. What a bad man! Kick him out of the NFL! The word he used suddenly becomes an excuse for covering the story. Not the other stuff.

I know racial sensitivities trump logic, and that I'm likely in the minority opinion (yes I'm white...and no, that shouldn't matter), but why should anybody care that he called Martin a name that's likely said a hundred times a day in the locker room?

Incognito should've been suspended long before this. (And either Philbin or Martin or another teammate should've stood up to this bully).

The moral here, if you're white, you can treat people like dog****. Just don't call them racial names.

When we learn to not get our panties in a wad over a stupid word -- a loaded word, but a word nonetheless -- and stop being so sensitive, then maybe we can start looking at racial issues logically.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

So we're still allowed to shiit in white people's mouths right? I need clarification on this ASAP. I had a burrito for lunch and I have a co-worker who has really been pissing me off.

Only if you also intend on killing them.

This helps tie in to the Redskins crusade.

We must get rid of all racism in the NFL.

They can start by only allowing players from mixed races, so a player with ancestors from Europe (white), Asia (oriental), Africa (black), Central America (hispanic), and North America (redskin) would be a gold mine.

I am far from a PC enthusiast, and I understand your point of view, however, he would have been kicked off the team even had he not used a racial slur. You can't call someone and leave a voicemail like he did. Anywhere. You'd lose a job at Pizza Hut for that...

I am far from a PC enthusiast, and I understand your point of view, however, he would have been kicked off the team even had he not used a racial slur. You can't call someone and leave a voicemail like he did. Anywhere. You'd lose a job at Pizza Hut for that...

Well, maybe, but perhaps not...talent at that level gets extra priviledge...more than Pizza Hut talent.

The slur brings it into a new stratosphere, more than threatening to defecate in someone's mouth (!) or to kill said person (!!), which in my view is utter mindlessness. Just read the comments in one story; 90 percent are race related.

If someone A) Called me a honkey cracka, B) Said they were going to defecate in my mouth and C) Kill me, my list of grievances would be C, B with a distant like Pluto third to A.

Incognito's a P.o.S. and the hazing B.S. that runs through sports' teams and other places is absolute garbage that has almost no positive effect.

No joke about sports worlds hazing. Wrestling was the worst hazing I have ever seen. I went to Iowa for many wrestling camps, it was tremendously intense and anyone who knows wrestling knows Univ. of Iowa's legacy. The stories I heard from the wrestlers there - they had won back to back National Championships at the time - were amazing. I will leave those stories there, though.

The hazing does have an effect, though. My freshman year I was duct taped to a hurdle for track, sophomore year for football many of us would have to carry the Seniors equipment and other silly things. Wrestling was being gagged, hands tapped and thrown out in your boxers while checking your weight to the gymnastics or cheerleading team. You'd get rolled up in the mats, given lots of red bellies and charlie horses. Occasionally someone was a real a-hole and they'd get held down by towels and guys would nail them in the gut. Often time their "crime" was that they did not make weight after challenging someone else to a wrestle-off. Other times it could be that they gave up in a match or show boated in match.

They can start by only allowing players from mixed races, so a player with ancestors from Europe (white), Asia (oriental), Africa (black), Central America (hispanic), and North America (redskin) would be a gold mine.

Golf tried that and it went great for a while but then the hookers ruined it.

They might be running with the racial angle for the wrong reasons, but to me, that's the most interesting thing about Incognito's rants. I can't picture how Incognito can get away with the racial stuff in that locker room since he's the minority there. He'll never follow up on the threats, so they are nothing more than idiotic ramblings. The racial thing though, I don't know how that doesn't paint Incognito in a horrible light in that locker room.

They might be running with the racial angle for the wrong reasons, but to me, that's the most interesting thing about Incognito's rants. I can't picture how Incognito can get away with the racial stuff in that locker room since he's the minority there. He'll never follow up on the threats, so they are nothing more than idiotic ramblings. The racial thing though, I don't know how that doesn't paint Incognito in a horrible light in that locker room.

Gee, maybe the media's racial angle sn't quite true

Dolphins players express dismay over Incognito-Martin situation

Several Dolphins players spoke up and met with the media on Wednesday and had many interesting things to say. FOX Sports Florida has full coverage of the news conference, but let’s run down the list here:

1. QB Ryan Tannehill was under the impression that Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin were best of friends. Tannehill also said the two would hang out off the field. “When they wanted to hang out outside of football, who was together? Richie and Jon.”

Tannehill went on: “Does he like to give guys a hard time? Yes. Does he like to pester guys and have fun? Yes. But he brought a lot laughter to this locker room, he brought a lot of looseness to this locker room. He was the best teammate I could ask for.”

2. OT Tyson Clabo had this to say Martin “needs to stand up and be a man. I don’t know why he’s doing this.”

Clabo went on to tell the New York Post, “I think that what’s perceived is that Richie is this psychopath, racist maniac and nothing could be farther from the truth. The reality is that Richie was a pretty good teammate, and that Richie and Jonathan Martin were friends.”

3. WR Brian Hartline said this about the voicemail that Incognito left for Martin back in April:

"This was the same guy who was laughing about the voicemail once upon a time."

4. Offensive lineman John Jerry said he has never heard Incognito use the “N” word around him and even if he did, would have “laughed it off.” As far as Incognito not being a racist, Jerry said, “He’s a guy I’m with more than my own family, so I know what type of guy he is, personally.”

5. Offensive lineman Mike Pouncey and WR Mike Wallace both don’t think Incognito is a racist. Both also wished Incognito would be playing with them on Monday when they face the Buccaneers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/dolphins-players-express-dismay-over-incognito-martin-situation/

The media's racial angle is often not true.

By and large they want to believe we are a modern day version of Mississippi Burning. Look at the Trayvon hysteria. White hispanic? Really?

When I was a student reporter at The University of Georgia, we had a gal report that some kid who was beaten up was a victim of "hate crime." Turned out, yes, he was gay. But it was just a run of the mill drunken fight ... in which he was the loser.

She, or the editors who let the insinuation pass as fact, was never reprimanded. Multiple this by a thousand stories weekly. This culture of racial/ethnicity/sexual preference victimhood is sadly embedded into the news media's culture.

This story is starting to remind me of the Trayvon Martin case in that a story breaks, a little bit of evidence gets out, simple minded dipshits take extremely strong stances on the issue, then when evidence emerges that runs contrary to their theory they fight like hell to defend the theory they came up with when they really didn't know ****.

more insight (?)

Richie Incognito, honorary black man?

FTA:

I’m going to limit my commentary to one sub-plot in this story. The Miami Herald reports that a number of the Dolphins’ black players have rallied behind Incognito, whom they consider an “Honorary Black Man”:

“Richie is honorary,” one player who left the Dolphins this offseason told me today. “I don’t expect you to understand because you’re not black. But being a black guy, being a brother is more than just about skin color. It’s about how you carry yourself. How you play. Where you come from. What you’ve experienced. A lot of things.”

Incognito plays dirty. A few years ago, in a player poll, he was named the dirtiest player in the NFL. He is prone to fits of violence, both on and off the field.

Maybe it’s “because I’m not black,” but I have trouble understanding why blacks would make this guy an honorary brother? Incognito’s acceptance by black teammates probably shows he’s not a racist, whatever language he used in a voice mail. But why not leave any words of support for him at that?

As for Martin — a Stanford man from a well-to-do background — the locker room seems to view him as not authentically Black:

Whereas Incognito apparently was “an honorary black man,” the biracial Martin was not.

Indeed,
Martin was considered less black than Incognito

Another former Dolphins employee told me Martin is considered ‘soft’ by his teammates and that’s a reason he’s not readily accepted by some of the players, particularly the black players. His background — Stanford educated and the son of highly educated people — was not necessarily seen as a strength or a positive by some players and it perpetuated in the way Martin carried himself.

The notion of whites as honorary blacks and/or blacks as “inauthentic” will be familiar to those who keep up with cultural politics. Bill Clinton was said by some blacks to be our first black president. Conservative African-Americans such as Justice Thomas are sometimes said to be inauthentic blacks.

Thomas’ background, of course, bears no similarity to Jonathan Martin’s. He was raised by his grandfather in rural Georgia. Attacks on Thomas’ “authenticity” are driven solely by his unwillingness to adhere to the views the left expects Blacks to hold. This is true whenever such attacks are made in a political context.

Perhaps those who purport to discuss politics in a serious way will retire the concepts of “honorary” and “inauthentic” black, now that they have been invoked to defend the harassment by an actual white of an actual black.

But don’t count on it.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2013/11/richie-incognito-honorary-black-man.php