Jeff Tuel strengths?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the hysterical running down of Tuel has now gone way farther than the delirious puffing up a lot of people were doing during pre-season. He's probably somewhere between our hopes and our fears. I'm not saying he'll play as well as Manuel or Lewis, but I would not be surprised if he can manage the game and make a few throws. To listen to most of the posters here, if he's able to walk onto the field without tripping over his own feet, it will be a surprise.

Check with me about 4 pm on Sunday for a possible modification of this opinion. :)

I think the hysterical running down of Tuel has now gone way farther than the delirious puffing up a lot of people were doing during pre-season. He's probably somewhere between our hopes and our fears. I'm not saying he'll play as well as Manuel or Lewis, but I would not be surprised if he can manage the game and make a few throws. To listen to most of the posters here, if he's able to walk onto the field without tripping over his own feet, it will be a surprise.

Check with me about 4 pm on Sunday for a possible modification of this opinion. :)

This is spot on. here's hoping for 200 yards, no turnovers, and a win.

20 passes from a rookie UDFA seeing his first NFL action coming off the bench in prime time in the 5th game of the season on the road told me everything I'll ever need to know about the guy. If you can't be cool collected & proficient in that scenario what hope is there?

Edited by Rob's House

Unfortunately most of our fans are putting 100% of their evaluation on that Cleveland game. IMO...not fair since he probably didnt have any reps with the short week. Got thrown into the fire without warning. Perhaps a coaching fail more than anything ?

Hey, I dont anticipate him being the next Johnny Unitas but with 1st team reps I am guessing he will be OK. All he needs to do is manage this game and he may well be capable of doing that. He'll need help from Hacket....a concern IMO.

KC is not that good I dont care what the record says. This game will be won or lost on specials teams. Just move the chains Jeff, we'll be fine.

20 passes from a rookie UDFA seeing his first NFL action coming off the bench in prime time in the 5th game of the season on the road in told me everything I'll ever need to know about the guy. If you can't be cool collected & proficient in that scenario what hope is there?

Yeah...yeah but...but...but FO!!@#@!#@!!!

But no one calls me the future of the Bills. Come on let's "wake up and smell the coffee." as Ann Landers used to say and take a hard look that EJ may be to injury prone for the NFL.

I've posted it before but I'll do it again.

Would you be happy if after calling it a career a QB had two Super Bowl Rings, was a Super Bowl MVP and two Pro Bowls?

Phil Simms in his first four years had a a separated shoulder, compound fracture of thumb on his throwing hand and torn knee ligaments. He was drafted higher than EJ, I think it was the eighth pick. I lived in NYC at the time a lot of fans hated the pick. Called injury prone and a bust. Not a HOF but his number has been retired by the Giants. I think if you asked Giant fans who they would take given a choice between Simms and Eli Manning, they would take Simms.

I am sure if I tried I could give you many examples. Please stop with the injury prone nonsense.

He's very effective against opposing teams' 3rd and 4th stringers in preseason games.

i dont quite buy this. Not at the QB position.

Even against scrubs, you still have to (1) read the D presnap, (2) audible if necessary, (3) read the coverage as the play progresses, (4) find the correct receiver, and (5) deliver the ball on time, and accurately.

The only difference might be that, against scrubs, there isnt as much pass rush. But then again, behind the 2nd or 3rd O-line, there might be more. Or, if, like Thad, the QB stares at receivers until they finally look wide open, maybe our 7th wr was better than their 9th cb a few times. But it didnt seem like Tuel was staring his WRs down.

He looked so drastically different in live action, compared to preseason, that I chalked it up to nerves. After he's had a few weeks to think about it, I bet he comes out slingin', just like he did in preseason.

Edited by maddenboy

While I am not one that wants to see Tuel play on Sunday, what strengths does he possess? He got signed onto an NFL roster for some reason so there must be SOMETHING that he is somewhat good at when it comes to the quarterback position.

He has two strong knees.... hopefully...

He holds the clip board in an awesome manner. Actually he is a smart QB and was a shown to be a mobile one at Washington State. His arm strength is questionable and his accuracy was horrid against Cleveland. Give him a passing game with roll outs and short passes. That will settle him down and he might show people that he can function at a acceptable level. A lot to hope for.

I've posted it before but I'll do it again.

Would you be happy if after calling it a career a QB had two Super Bowl Rings, was a Super Bowl MVP and two Pro Bowls?

Phil Simms in his first four years had a a separated shoulder, compound fracture of thumb on his throwing hand and torn knee ligaments. He was drafted higher than EJ, I think it was the eighth pick. I lived in NYC at the time a lot of fans hated the pick. Called injury prone and a bust. Not a HOF but his number has been retired by the Giants. I think if you asked Giant fans who they would take given a choice between Simms and Eli Manning, they would take Simms.

I am sure if I tried I could give you many examples. Please stop with the injury prone nonsense.

If we're going to be honest with ourselves, sustaining two knee injuries in his first six games, including preseason, is most certainly cause for concern. How many games did Phil Simms miss in his first season due to injury? I recall you being extremely critical of Kolb for being injury prone, and, as it turned out, rightly so. But, you seem to be applying a different standard to EJ. I think the value you place on your own opinions/predictions is clouding your judgement.

i dont quite buy this. Not at the QB position.

Even against scrubs, you still have to (1) read the D presnap, (2) audible if necessary, (3) read the coverage as the play progresses, (4) find the correct receiver, and (5) deliver the ball on time, and accurately.

The only difference might be that, against scrubs, there isnt as much pass rush. But then again, behind the 2nd or 3rd O-line, there might be more. Or, if, like Thad, the QB stares at receivers until they finally look wide open, maybe our 7th wr was better than their 9th cb a few times. But it didnt seem like Tuel was staring his WRs down.

He looked so drastically different in live action, compared to preseason, that I chalked it up to nerves. After he's had a few weeks to think about it, I bet he comes out slingin', just like he did in preseason.

playing late in preseason games probably has more in common with a college allstar game than a regular season pro game.

i also think you are totally neglecting his other preseason games, and college career. the issue is this isnt just looking at indy and cleveland and picking one.... he has a lot more of a track record.