Belichick and Pats Wanted EJ Manuel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother in law knows Josh Kraft very well in Boston and during dinner a couple nights ago, he said the Pats were hoping to get him. Thought that was interesting......

Interesting bit of info--thanks!

However, this is almost a bad thing. The Patriots are not very good evaluators of talent. They lucked out on a 6th round pick in Brady, and everyone thinks they know what they are doing. They probably have more draft busts than we do.

My brother in law knows Josh Kraft very well in Boston and during dinner a couple nights ago, he said the Pats were hoping to get him. Thought that was interesting......

i guess the next question is where were they hoping to get him?

almost certainly not in the first round or two, id have to assume. generally just hoping hed slide and be a good value?

More than anything...what does this say for how they feel about Bradys future? Are they already looking to groom his replacement? Do they think Brady is declining and his days are numbered?

you could on the flipside argue that bradys going to outlast mallets contract (or dont love mallet) so they may be willing to take a shot on the next backup/guy of the future

Manuel seem to be pretty good at calling plays and spotting the open receiver but his out pattern and over the top throws are weak. Brady came into the league with the same type of strengths and weaknesses though his natural arm strength does not compare with EJs.. Brady's progress as a passer throughout his career has been remarkable and there is no comparable QB in that regard. It's almost as if he grew a better arm.

Ya know, by '96 Kelly was taking his lumps behind an aging line and on a team in its delcine, even though they made it to the playoffs in his final year...and he was 36, but he know the writing was on the wall for him and his team and he knew when to get out.

It just makes me wonder how much of that competitive fire I-want-to-play-until-I'm-40 Brady will have if this team starts to seriously slide and he gets knocked around a little more.

Manuel seem to be pretty good at calling plays and spotting the open receiver but his out pattern and over the top throws are weak. Brady came into the league with the same type of strengths and weaknesses though his natural arm strength does not compare with EJs.. Brady's progress as a passer throughout his career has been remarkable and there is no comparable QB in that regard. It's almost as if he grew a better arm.

Amazing what lower body mechanics can do, huh? I'm hoping that's the focal point of EJ's offseason...in perpetuity.

Small sample size but you make a compelling point...

Yeah, and having actually WATCHED those snaps...eesh. Not pretty. I mean, 1-4 with an interception, which--IIRC--was laser to a receiver four yards away that ricocheted 10 yards down field into the FS's waiting arms. His preseason passes have looked similar. All zip, no touch.

To me it says that Brady has only a couple of years left. EJ was a high ceiling guy when he came out but a project. He wasn't Andrew Luck ready. Maybe their thought was let try to get this guy (in the 2nd is my guess) and develop him for 2 years a la Aaron Rodgers?

Makes sense, I just thought Brady had a lot longer left...

Manuel needs to study tape on guys like Manning and Brees & their footwork. His completion % would soar if he set his feet more.

And it's pretty obvious why coaches would like Manuel. He has all the tools and carries himself like a grown @ss man. And as great as Belichick has been since they lucked out on Brady, he hasn't exactly been known as QB guru. Still apperciate the tip. Hopefully, we stole Manuel from them and it will come back to bite them.