Belichick and Pats Wanted EJ Manuel

Manuel needs to study tape on guys like Manning and Brees & their footwork. His completion % would soar if he set his feet more.

And it's pretty obvious why coaches would like Manuel. He has all the tools and carries himself like a grown @ss man. And as great as Belichick has been since they lucked out on Brady, he hasn't exactly been known as QB guru. Still apperciate the tip. Hopefully, we stole Manuel from them and it will come back to bite them.

People point to Brady's draft position as if he was heretofore some kind of inferior quarterback. They drafted in Tom Brady a college QB with all the grit/moxy/intangibles that gave him the potential to be a world beater.

Any Division 1 quarterback can be taught to throw at a professional level. Brady had what EJ did: the right stuff.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People point to Brady's draft position as if he was heretofore some kind of inferior quarterback. They drafted in Tom Brady a college QB with all the grit/moxy/intangibles that gave him the potential to be a world beater.

Any Division 1 quarterback can be taught to throw at a professional level. Brady had what EJ did: the right stuff.

Yeah, I think the overall point is if they fault that strong about him, they won't risk waiting until the sixth round to draft him. That's why I never got the criticism that the Bills could have gotten Manuel later in the draft. If you think a guy can be a franchise QB, you don't risk missing him because it's not great value on Mel Kiper's board.

I actually remember Brady a little bit at Michigan and thinking he was better than Drew Henson, but Henson playing because he was the #1 recruit. but they did get really lucky. And for as much of a d bag Brady can be a times, he does have a great work ethic.

Yeah, I think the overall point is if they fault that strong about him, they won't risk waiting until the sixth round to draft him. That's why I never got the criticism that the Bills could have gotten Manuel later in the draft. If you think a guy can be a franchise QB, you don't risk missing him because it's not great value on Mel Kiper's board.

I actually remember Brady a little bit at Michigan and thinking he was better than Drew Henson, but Henson playing because he was the #1 recruit. but they did get really lucky. And for as much of a d bag Brady can be a times, he does have a great work ethic.

They had their franchise guy when they drafted him.

Plus, how did he fall to the sixth round? Does this guy look like he has the potential to be a world class athlete?

XAVOnFU.gif

It's a shocker he was drafted at all.

My brother in law knows Josh Kraft very well in Boston and during dinner a couple nights ago, he said the Pats were hoping to get him. Thought that was interesting......

It may be interesting but Belichick's history w/ QBs besides Brady is getting them to underachieve. Remember, it's not like he recognized the blatantly obvious flaws in Bledsoe and gave Brady a chance after seeing prospects in Brady. It took a season-ending injury to Bledsoe to get him to give Brady a shot, who played better than Bledsoe without ever having taken an NFL snap in a real game prior to that.

If that had been a better QB than Bledsoe, the possibility is high that that other QB would have replaced Brady again after that season.

Look at Belichick's record with his QBs in Cleveland, they all underachieved, especially Testeverde.

IMO this is a meaningless thing. As soon as Brady fades, so too will Belichick begin to fade. The only reason why the Pats are 6-2 this season is due to 3 wins vs.. weak and flawed division opponents for half of those 6 wins, with wins against hapless Tampa and Atlanta (2-12 between them) for two more. Their only quality win was vs. the Saints, which was also a home game for them.

I can't wait for Brady to leave that team one way or another. I hope he demands a trade after the season for getting screwed over.

Belichick's history in drafting QBs is not good.

Mallett, Robinson, O'Connell, Cassel, Kingsbury, Davey

Stepping into Brady was **** luck for him.

Edited by TaskersGhost

That is exactly how it went down...

Manuel seem to be pretty good at calling plays and spotting the open receiver but his out pattern and over the top throws are weak. Brady came into the league with the same type of strengths and weaknesses though his natural arm strength does not compare with EJs.. Brady's progress as a passer throughout his career has been remarkable and there is no comparable QB in that regard. It's almost as if he grew a better arm.

This is such a great post/observation that I felt compelled to acknowedge it.

If you have not yet seen "The Brady 6" documentary from ESPN (via Netflix?) that chronicles Brady and the 6 QBs taken before him, you should really do that. Especially if you think he is overrated. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

It's hard for some Bills fans to admit ... but how can you not have the utmost respect for Tom? And I agree that his arm has improved tremendously over time. A rough start this year notwithstanding, it is the best combination of mustard and accuracy as you could ever need, yet it wasn't always that way when he came out of Michigan.

A pro, and leader, in every sense.

Yeah, I think the overall point is if they fault that strong about him, they won't risk waiting until the sixth round to draft him. That's why I never got the criticism that the Bills could have gotten Manuel later in the draft. If you think a guy can be a franchise QB, you don't risk missing him because it's not great value on Mel Kiper's board

Having said that, if he fails to live up to the status of franchise QB, then someone needs to be held accountable given that perceived reach by many.

We can't then turn around and say that the people making that decision knew what they were doing, I think we can agree there.

I'm concerned, franchise QBs don't typically have the wildly inaccuracy issues that Manuel has for quarters at a time.

Interesting bit of info--thanks!

However, this is almost a bad thing. The Patriots are not very good evaluators of talent. They lucked out on a 6th round pick in Brady, and everyone thinks they know what they are doing. They probably have more draft busts than we do.

Yeah, I think the overall point is if they fault that strong about him, they won't risk waiting until the sixth round to draft him.

Agree, but don't tell anyone who was associated w/ NE at the time.

I heard Scott Pioli on Francesca a few weeks ago "clearing up the revisionist history"; condescendingly scoffing at other Front Office's who claimed they really liked him - basically saying "why didn't they pick him in the 4th or 5th round then"? Obviously begging the question, why didn't you, Scott? His excuse was the roster was depleted and they were sorely lacking depth so they took a nobody TE with one of their two 5th rounders. Ehh, whatever.

Sorta similar to the 30 for 30 on the '83 draft, where every personnel guy interviewed swore they had Marino as the #2 QB on their board. Funny how a lot of real life GM's are like warped fans (and politicians) in that regard - they're just always right, and everything that went wrong was someone else's fault.

Edited by BuffOrange

If you have not yet seen "The Brady 6" documentary from ESPN (via Netflix?) that chronicles Brady and the 6 QBs taken before him, you should really do that. Especially if you think he is overrated. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

It's hard for some Bills fans to admit ... but how can you not have the utmost respect for Tom? And I agree that his arm has improved tremendously over time. A rough start this year notwithstanding, it is the best combination of mustard and accuracy as you could ever need, yet it wasn't always that way when he came out of Michigan.

I agree. It is impossible to not respect the guy after what he did (how he got to Michigan in the first place, competed there, and made himself into one of the best QBs in the history of the game). I respect the guy and admire all the work he has put into it. I just wish he were with the Bills and not the Pats. Nevertheless, he has worked for everything he has achieved.

I hate the Pats* and Brady annoys me but after seeing the documentary I totally agree, MUCH respect. I still hate him though! LOL.

Manuel needs to study tape on guys like Manning and Brees & their footwork. His completion % would soar if he set his feet more.

And it's pretty obvious why coaches would like Manuel. He has all the tools and carries himself like a grown @ss man. And as great as Belichick has been since they lucked out on Brady, he hasn't exactly been known as QB guru. Still apperciate the tip. Hopefully, we stole Manuel from them and it will come back to bite them.

I agree. He just needs to work on accuracy and mechanics.

Makes sense, I just thought Brady had a lot longer left...

Who is saying he doesn't have much left?

Let's remember that this is one of the big M.O.'s for the Patriots*.

They have released many a player when they were getting to the downside of their careers. Ty Law, Richard Seymour etc.

Once those players were gone they had good younger talent step in to replace them, which is exactly what the 49'ers did in the 80's.

The Pats* may release Tom Brady in another year or two, but that doesn't mean that Brady will stop playing.

Who is saying he doesn't have much left?

Let's remember that this is one of the big M.O.'s for the Patriots*.

They have released many a player when they were getting to the downside of their careers. Ty Law, Richard Seymour etc.

Once those players were gone they had good younger talent step in to replace them, which is exactly what the 49'ers did in the 80's.

The Pats* may release Tom Brady in another year or two, but that doesn't mean that Brady will stop playing.

As long as he doesn't go to the Jets or Fins, fine with me! Ironically, he just bought a $14 mill apt in NYC Edited by YoloInTheBlo