Aaron Maybin - LB, Toronto Argonauts

Punch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Wood begs to differ.

Ahhh, yes ... so Maybin is the bad guy for sitting out in league where sitting out is commonplace. Blame the NFL and the players' union ... don't blame the players. He was drafted too early because our scouting sucked. He was paid too much because the system sucked.

But I will admit ... I love Eric Wood and I loved when he called him out.

I really don't get the fans who still hate on Maybin. He wasn't good enough but how many here are in the top 1% of his profession? And good for him for continuing to chase his dream (and get paid for it). There have been a bunch of people who have come from Canada to the NFL (Freeman of the Colts, Cameron Wake, Marc Trestman). I'll root for him.

True.

Yet it's was entirely his own fault for going Pro, when he should have stayed in school.

It's tough to blame someone when they're getting signals of being a 1st round pick and all the guaranteed cash that comes along with it.

Nothing against the guy. It's not his fault that a certain NFL team grossly exaggerated his value and worth. And let's be honest - he's made more in 4 years (or however long it's been) in pro football than many of us will make in 14 years. Good luck to him; I hope it works out.

I have something against the guy. Holding out for the ENTIRE training camp was a joke and a true indication of the type of guy he is. Me First Maybin. Guys like that fail no matter where they play.

Edited by Webster Guy

I don't get all the hate here for Maybin. I don't remember him saying a lot of bad things about the team, the area. He just couldn't make it as a player. I remember him trying, it wasn't laziness, lack of effort, his arrogance or a bad attitude. He simply was not good enough. No reason to hate. The mistakes made were by the people who drafted him and overpaid him. They are the ones to blame, not him. I wish him luck.

I have something against the guy. Holding out for the ENTIRE training camp was a joke and a true indication of the type of guy he is. Me First Maybin. Guys like that fail no matter where they play.

John Elway refused to play for Baltimore. Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego. Are they me first guys too?

I don't get all the hate here for Maybin. I don't remember him saying a lot of bad things about the team, the area. He just couldn't make it as a player. I remember him trying, it wasn't laziness, lack of effort, his arrogance or a bad attitude. He simply was not good enough. No reason to hate. The mistakes made were by the people who drafted him and overpaid him. They are the ones to blame, not him. I wish him luck.

I'm not sure the venom is directed at him; it's directed at that era. Maybin is the poster child for the incompetency of the organization at the time. Everyone knew that Orakpo was the pick (everyone but the Bills). It wasn't even that the team decided they needed a different position (like Whitner over Ngata). The Bills somehow thought that Aaron Maybin was going to be a better player Orakpo.

They always thought that they were 1 step ahead of everyone when in reality every step they took put them another step behind. I think that we had been bad for a while and as fans we didn't want the front office to keep "outsmarting" everyone with guys like Whitner, McCargo and Maybin.

I'm not sure the venom is directed at him; it's directed at that era. Maybin is the poster child for the incompetency of the organization at the time. Everyone knew that Orakpo was the pick (everyone but the Bills). It wasn't even that the team decided they needed a different position (like Whitner over Ngata). The Bills somehow thought that Aaron Maybin was going to be a better player Orakpo.

They always thought that they were 1 step ahead of everyone when in reality every step they took put them another step behind. I think that we had been bad for a while and as fans we didn't want the front office to keep "outsmarting" everyone with guys like Whitner, McCargo and Maybin.

I get your major point and it's pretty strong. But with Maybin, he was a 1st round pick across the board. I wasn't a fan of the pick but he was similar size to Jason Taylor. For all the talk of Orkapo, he has had one season of double digit sacks. Obviously, much better than Maybin but he hasn't exactly been lights out.

Teams make bad picks. IMO, picks like Whitner (who is a starter for a SB contender) are maginified by the lack of a QB. The Pats' last few drafts have been awful. But they have Brady.

@PrimeSN590: Argos GM Barker says former All-American Aaron Maybin "will hopefully start practicing with us this week."

This is where Maybin belonged in the first place.

His measurables coming out of college were remarkably similar to those of Cameron Wake.......who was an afterthought on his draft day.......when Wake came out of Ohio State.

Wake failed in his early bid to make an NFL roster.......went to Canada knowing that was his last chance.......and learned what it was like to actually be 100% invested in becoming a pro football player.

IMO, Maybin needed that to make it. The switch never came on for him. He worked but he was a fake football player. Fake tough, fake effort.

He didn't need to succeed......and being that he is basically a one trick pony as an athlete......remarkable first step explosion......it wasn't going to happen unless he fully invested in becoming that player.

Very unlikely to happen now, but there is an outside chance. He was a very young kid coming out and he also acted very immaturely so maybe the light will come on.

Ahhh, yes ... so Maybin is the bad guy for sitting out in league where sitting out is commonplace. Blame the NFL and the players' union ... don't blame the players. He was drafted too early because our scouting sucked. He was paid too much because the system sucked.

But I will admit ... I love Eric Wood and I loved when he called him out.

Maybin's most genius move was holding out. The guy's bargaining position only got worse once he stepped onto the field.

Wake went to Penn State.

Where he recorded a grand total of 8.5 sacks in his college career.

Check out his measurables and workout numbers versus Maybin. Maybin could have been that kind of player but it was never going to come easy. Once the Bills set him up for life with that contract it was highly unlikely he would ever reach his potential.

If he had gone in the 6th or 7th round and had to earn it, he would have been in Canada 4 years ago.