How many games does Thad Lewis have to win to remain the starter

johnwalter

How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?

• 3-2 in his next five starts
    • 4-1 in his next five starts
    • 5-0 in his next five starts

Actually it is pretty much exactly what you said.

You said....

"I waited for someone to persuade me with facts and statistics that either Lewis or EJ deserved to be considered a potential Franchise OB. Or even a decent starting QB. After this thread has progressed, the only thing it has persuaded me is that it is time to start thinking about drafting a QB high next year, because according to the statistics and facts presented so far there does not appear a potential Franchise QB on our roster."

To which I responded that looking for EJs replacement after 5 starts was premature.

No biggy though.

As for your argument that if EJ and Thad are playing at similar levels they should fight it out for the starting spot.....

This has been repeatedly addressed in the thread......including one long explanatory post from myself directed to you.

In summary of the points made....Thad has been assessed across the league as having miniscule chance to become a good NFL starter.....and EJ has been recently assessed by the Bills to have a decent chance to become a good NFL starter. That

being the case, you don't give valuable playing time to a guy who you think might be a decent backup.....you give it to the guy who you think might become a good starter.

If you are going to quote me please do not play the politician and edit the quote out of context to manipulate the truth. People who have no real facts to back up their opinions often resort to manipulations, misquotes and putting their words in other peoples mouths in an attempt to make up for their lack of real facts You left out the important summary line. It seems you have a difficult time differentiating between facts and your own rhetoric.

"I'm beginning to think we let the two fight it out the rest of the season as equals and if no one rises above, we have to draft a QB high next year if one is available"

I did not say bench him and forget about him, quite the opposite, You did.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The people that want to automatically hand EJ the job back when he's healthy are NUTS!! I think he was doing fine for a rookie and he's got plenty of potential, but Lewis is playing at least as well with a fraction of the preparation in this offense. If Lewis doesn't progress over the next 4-6 weeks that obviously plays into the equation, but it's not as simple as wins and losses. I really like what Manuel is about, but there are big holes in his game that didn't improve much in the time he had as a starter. Competition is a good thing and life just aint fair sometimes.

The people that want to automatically hand EJ the job back when he's healthy are NUTS!! I think he was doing fine for a rookie and he's got plenty of potential, but Lewis is playing at least as well with a fraction of the preparation in this offense. If Lewis doesn't progress over the next 4-6 weeks that obviously plays into the equation, but it's not as simple as wins and losses. I really like what Manuel is about, but there are big holes in his game that didn't improve much in the time he had as a starter. Competition is a good thing and life just aint fair sometimes.

I suppose we are lucky to be having this discussion over two players rising star.

I suppose we are lucky to be having this discussion over two players rising star.

I had promised myself not to post in this thread again, because well, just because.

But this was too much of a gem.

Yes. We are SO lucky to be having this discussion. Blessed indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

Help me out here Captain. Can you point out what you've seen in his talent and pure ability that tells you he has "immense talent". Be specific please. To me, and I admit I may be clearly missing something, he looks a lot like Thaddeus who you say has already hit his cieling. Not sure how you can tell that, but I digress.

I do agree EJ has good leadership, but then again, so does Thaddeus.

I'm not saying Thaddeus should be the starter, just that we should keep an open mind. Let Thaddeus play until EJ is ready and then re evaluate. We don't have to decide anything today.

Thad Lewis does not gave elite size, has an average arm, and small hands. His release is slow, this will catch up to him as teams get more film on him and apply more pressure. Will have problems with strip sacks. He has good mobility and is a good leader. Slides very well. EJ Manuel is an elite athlete. Has impressive size and build, huge hands. Very good arm strength, above average mobility, though doesn't look to run first. More of a long strider than a runner. Very good leadership skills. A bit raw, somewhat mechanical in his short throws, needs more touch on these. If you set these two QB's side by side and watched them, and someone told you one was not drafted and one was a first round pick, most people would correctly guess which was which. That is the easiest way to put it. One guy looks like an elite athlete, one does not. Doesn't mean Thad Lewis can't play in the league. Doesn't mean EJM is a slam dunk to be a franchise QB. But EJ was the pick and will be given the chance by the Bills brass to validate their faith in him.

Thad Lewis does not gave elite size, has an average arm, and small hands. His release is slow, this will catch up to him as teams get more film on him and apply more pressure. Will have problems with strip sacks. He has good mobility and is a good leader. Slides very well. EJ Manuel is an elite athlete. Has impressive size and build, huge hands. Very good arm strength, above average mobility, though doesn't look to run first. More of a long strider than a runner. Very good leadership skills. A bit raw, somewhat mechanical in his short throws, needs more touch on these. If you set these two QB's side by side and watched them, and someone told you one was not drafted and one was a first round pick, most people would correctly guess which was which. That is the easiest way to put it. One guy looks like an elite athlete, one does not. Doesn't mean Thad Lewis can't play in the league. Doesn't mean EJM is a slam dunk to be a franchise QB. But EJ was the pick and will be given the chance by the Bills brass to validate their faith in him.

This^

At the Baltimore game I saw just the raw talent EJ has. You either have it or you don't. EJ is built like an elite athlete, Thad just isn't.

If you are going to quote me please do not play the politician and edit the quote out of context to manipulate the truth. People who have no real facts to back up their opinions often resort to manipulations, misquotes and putting their words in other peoples mouths in an attempt to make up for their lack of real facts You left out the important summary line. It seems you have a difficult time differentiating between facts and your own rhetoric.

"I'm beginning to think we let the two fight it out the rest of the season as equals and if no one rises above, we have to draft a QB high next year if one is available"

I did not say bench him and forget about him, quite the opposite, You did.

The "summary" you put is incongruous to the statement you made earlier in the post.....which was...."it is time to start thinking about drafting a QB high next year, because according to the statistics and facts presented so far there does not appear a potential Franchise QB on our roster."

Don't have a go at me for editing your post when you make two different comments on a subject in it. Both comments I might add basically ignore the concept of player potential as determined by the NFL experts(particularly the Bills experts).

With all due respect to the Thad supporters here, there is no controversy. Thad is gritty, tough and has made some nice plays. He has also looked like a QB that just came off the PS. He is Fitz with a better arm. Once teams get more than 3 games of footage on him he will be easier to defend. I have little faith in a Thad Lewis led team for 16 games. He is limited, went undrafted for a reason and was backing up KELLEN MOORE in Detroit two months ago. His ceiling may already have been reached. EJ has immense talent albeit he is a bit raw. But if you haven't recognized his talent, leadership and pure ability, you are clearly missing something

I think you just called him a good QB

This^

At the Baltimore game I saw just the raw talent EJ has. You either have it or you don't. EJ is built like an elite athlete, Thad just isn't.

Yep, you know it when you see it. He's got a long way to go, but he looks like the most talented QB we've had around here since the Kelly days, maybe the first year of Bledsoe. The TD to stevie vs Pats, the TD (overturned by replay) to Woods vs Ravens? were upper echelon throws most guys can't make. I like Lewis, but for me this season was about EJ's progress and still will be when he returns unless a major win streak means we keep TL in there.

With all due respect to the Thad supporters here, there is no controversy. Thad is gritty, tough and has made some nice plays. He has also looked like a QB that just came off the PS. He is Fitz with a better arm. Once teams get more than 3 games of footage on him he will be easier to defend. I have little faith in a Thad Lewis led team for 16 games. He is limited, went undrafted for a reason and was backing up KELLEN MOORE in Detroit two months ago. His ceiling may already have been reached. EJ has immense talent albeit he is a bit raw. But if you haven't recognized his talent, leadership and pure ability, you are clearly missing something

Not calling you out specifically, but calling you out specifically. Everyone on this board relates all Quarterbacks to Fitz. I do not get it, is everyone a prototype of Ryan Fitzpatrick? Because IMO the Harvard Hammer is one of kind. Show some more creativity.

This^

What did you see specifically? I'm being honest, I forgot what EJ looked like that game. I mean, he did have a QBR of 9. I've never seen a defense bail out an offense like that game.

I think the chances of Thad reaching his ceiling already is pretty low. In fact, I could've seen Russel Wilson riding the pine for a few years if he wasn't competing against Matt Flynn, who was a new addition to the team and had very little advantage over Wilson. If we had kept Fitzpatrick, could you not have seen EJ riding the bench? It happens. Some guys don't light it up when they first show up, but can still be good or even great. Isn't that what we hoped for with EJ?

"problems with strip sacks" Who are we talking about here? Which QB has been stripped more?

"Has impressive size and build, huge hands. Very good arm strength, above average mobility" JP? Freeman? Why, this could be almost of the bust QB's in the league.

If I watched film on both players side to side, I would see stretches of awful with a dash of spectacular. Which ever QB can change that should start. "Looks like an athlete" and all that other garbage matters to the pre draft choices, not to deciding who is a starter.

Edited by FireChan

"problems with strip sacks" Who are we talking about here? Which QB has been stripped more?

You beat me to it. Of the 2, the guy with the problem with strip sacks is EJ. In Gruden's QB camp with EJ, he told him he better take better care of the football because NFL guys would be swatting it out. Looks like he was right.

I want the guy in that gives us the best chance to win Sunday. Whoever that is. No one has separated themselves ON THE FIELD. Thaddeus gets a few more starts. I look forward to seeing what he does. We'll re visit this starter thing when EJ gets healthy.

The people that want to automatically hand EJ the job back when he's healthy are NUTS!!

But that's reality, as much as I don't like it.

And Manuel is starting next year too, the injury probably locks that up. I'd like the Bills to prove me wrong and continue working to improve the QB position.

What did you see specifically? I'm being honest, I forgot what EJ looked like that game. I mean, he did have a QBR of 9. I've never seen a defense bail out an offense like that game.

I think the chances of Thad reaching his ceiling already is pretty low. In fact, I could've seen Russel Wilson riding the pine for a few years if he wasn't competing against Matt Flynn, who was a new addition to the team and had very little advantage over Wilson. If we had kept Fitzpatrick, could you not have seen EJ riding the bench? It happens. Some guys don't light it up when they first show up, but can still be good or even great. Isn't that what we hoped for with EJ?

"Has impressive size and build, huge hands. Very good arm strength, above average mobility" JP? Freeman? Why, this could be almost of the bust QB's in the league.

If I watched film on both players side to side, I would see stretches of awful with a dash of spectacular. Which ever QB can change that should start. "Looks like an athlete" and all that other garbage matters to the pre draft choices, not to deciding who is a starter.

Well. First off JP did not have elite size. As far as strip sacks, small hands + slow drop back/release will OVER TIME result in strip sacks as teams SEND MORE PRESSURE at TL. He's had two games of film, one of which he had excellent protection. The other he did not and ..a pick where his arm was swatted occurred. I meant to set them side by side and watch them throw, drop back etc. Not watch game film. That is the reason why you go with the ELITE ATHLETE because you are looking for a franchise QB. Not a guy who can be "good" or a mediocrity. As Yogi Bera would say "this ain't rocket surgery". It is just how the NFL works. The first round pick is going to be given a chance(that means more than 5 games, probably a few SEASONS). Get over it. This thing is already decided anyway. TL wins, he stays in to make a playoff push. If not, he doesn't. Either way its already determined. So many people just want to manufacture a controversy a la Flutie/Johnson. I like both QB's. Long term, I'd go with Manuel because he has the chance to be much better. That is what the BILLS will do, which is really all that matters.

What's interesting to me about Thad Lewis is that he has proven he can definitely play in the NFL. He's a good backup. Ironically, Tuel's meltdown is the sort of thing that might lead to a ten-year career as a backup for Lewis.

Lewis owes Tuel at least a small portion of the multiple millions of dollars he'll be earning over the next ten years presuming he sticks.

You beat me to it. Of the 2, the guy with the problem with strip sacks is EJ. In Gruden's QB camp with EJ, he told him he better take better care of the football because NFL guys would be swatting it out. Looks like he was right.

I want the guy in that gives us the best chance to win Sunday. Whoever that is. No one has separated themselves ON THE FIELD. Thaddeus gets a few more starts. I look forward to seeing what he does. We'll re visit this starter thing when EJ gets healthy.

I said WILL HAVE problems with strip sacks!!!!! He's had 2 starts! Perhaps you'll revisit this "starter thing" why don't you tell the Bills that? Something tells me they already have a plan. Something like they will keep TL in if they are in the thick of the playoff race, otherwise it's back to EJ. I'm sure the Bills will also be interested to know that their new criteria for drafting QB's should be to move away from big elite athletes and to begin drafting midgets. Or better yet, just go with UDFA's at QB as it is much cheaper and one out of every few hundred or so actually succeeds in the league. Perhaps they will hire YOU, an innovator that goes against the conventional wisdom, as their next GM!

1. No you didn't. Do you know what words mean? This is a petty point.

2. You said Spiller doesn't get hurt, remember? Don't worry, I pulled up the posts in that rushing yard count thread.

3. And if you took two of EJ's games, his total would be less. That's why I mentioned his 9 QBR, which you conveniently ignored. Don't even get me started on his abysmal YPA stat.

4. Don't caaaare

5. Blind optimism in Spiller, when you and me first started clashing, and I was proven correct.

6. Fair enough, didn't expect that.

7. And it's a fallacy stat. To compare our team to the Broncos and indicate we share any of their talent is an insult to talent.

8. See Spiller, CJ. Also, don't caaaare.

LMAO FireChan...please show where I said Spiller is Superman, made of steel, impossible to hurt, and 100% invincible. I argued against him being injury prone, which had NOT been at the point of that conversation. This is why no one can discuss anything with you, because of idiotical responses like this as if myself or anyone implied that the possibility of an injury to him was literally impossible. ANY player can get hurt, I simply defended Spiller about whether he can carry the load as a full time back, and the fact he did get hurt still has no relevance to whether he can or not. He carried the load without issue last year. Got his ankle twisted up this year, and rather sit a game or two to let it heal, he has played through it causing it to linger and make little to no progress.

Reggie Wayne, the leagues current ironman, just got knocked out for the season...that doesnt suddenly make him injury prone and not able to be an every down player.

And point 3 shows you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. QBR has nothing to do with TOTALS. Its a rating on a PER GAME basis and his season QBR is an AVERAGE over those games. NOTHING to do with a total of anything. Sure, if you want to take his 2 worst games his QBR would be lower, just like with any AVERAGE based statistic. Hes played in 5 games, and his average is 20 points higher than Thads average over his 2 games. I already said after 5 games I expect Thads to rise more, but Thad is yet to have even a single game that is as high as EJ's average. Thads QBR was under 40 in BOTH his games where EJ has an average of 42.2. Point is, he isnt out playing EJ yet.

You want to say you are right about Spiller? Right about what? You said he isnt any good...so he gets hurt and cant play much and that validates he isnt any good? One of the dumbest things you have said yet, especially since Spiller has still made big plays for us on one leg while trying to play through a serious issue for him as a RB with the lower leg injury.

And finally, again, typical stupid remark about the points per game...at NO POINT did I ever compare us to the Broncos...I said the only 2 teams to score 20 or more in every game was us and them. I did not say we are any where near them, I was showing consistency in our scoring on a per game basis between EJ and Thad to show we are averaging the same with both at QB further illustrating Thad isnt doing more than EJ was. And your hilarious comment to discredit scoring under EJ about how the D scored points too...well first TD this weekend with Thad was a pick 6 by our D...so there goes that ridiculous reply too.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The real question is who will come in when Thad gets hurt in the next few weeks. He took a pounding in that Miami game. I love his bravado in the pocket, but he's not going to last long playing that way.

I'd say it would be Matt Flynn, maybe not this week but soon. His signing shows they are scared to death of being one play away from Tuel time. He is really a developmental, couple years down the road type of guy. Hopefully TL stays healthy to give Flynn a little time to prepare. If Monday nights performance by Freeman is any indication, a few weeks of prep is not enough.

I said WILL HAVE problems with strip sacks!!!!! He's had 2 starts! Perhaps you'll revisit this "starter thing" why don't you tell the Bills that? Something tells me they already have a plan. Something like they will keep TL in if they are in the thick of the playoff race, otherwise it's back to EJ. I'm sure the Bills will also be interested to know that their new criteria for drafting QB's should be to move away from big elite athletes and to begin drafting midgets. Or better yet, just go with UDFA's at QB as it is much cheaper and one out of every few hundred or so actually succeeds in the league. Perhaps they will hire YOU, an innovator that goes against the conventional wisdom, as their next GM!

Midgets?! Thad Lewis is 6'2 that is two inches taller that Brees and Three inches taller than Wilson. Tony Romo was an UDFA and Brady was selected when? Draft location and height are not the end all be all of success in the NFL.

Edited by cklapka

1. LMAO FireChan...please show where I said Spiller is Superman, made of steel, impossible to hurt, and 100% invincible. I argued against him being injury prone, which had NOT been at the point of that conversation. This is why no one can discuss anything with you, because of idiotical responses like this as if myself or anyone implied that the possibility of an injury to him was literally impossible. ANY player can get hurt, I simply defended Spiller about whether he can carry the load as a full time back, and the fact he did get hurt still has no relevance to whether he can or not. He carried the load without issue last year. Got his ankle twisted up this year, and rather sit a game or two to let it heal, he has played through it causing it to linger and make little to no progress.

2. Reggie Wayne, the leagues current ironman, just got knocked out for the season...that doesnt suddenly make him injury prone and not able to be an every down player.

3. And point 3 shows you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. QBR has nothing to do with TOTALS. Its a rating on a PER GAME basis and his season QBR is an AVERAGE over those games. NOTHING to do with a total of anything. Sure, if you want to take his 2 worst games his QBR would be lower, just like with any AVERAGE based statistic. Hes played in 5 games, and his average is 20 points higher than Thads average over his 2 games. I already said after 5 games I expect Thads to rise more, but Thad is yet to have even a single game that is as high as EJ's average. Thads QBR was under 40 in BOTH his games where EJ has an average of 42.2. Point is, he isnt out playing EJ yet.

4. You want to say you are right about Spiller? Right about what? You said he isnt any good...so he gets hurt and cant play much and that validates he isnt any good? One of the dumbest things you have said yet, especially since Spiller has still made big plays for us on one leg while trying to play through a serious issue for him as a RB with the lower leg injury.

5. And finally, again, typical stupid remark about the points per game...at NO POINT did I ever compare us to the Broncos...I said the only 2 teams to score 20 or more in every game was us and them. I did not say we are any where near them, I was showing consistency in our scoring on a per game basis between EJ and Thad to show we are averaging the same with both at QB further illustrating Thad isnt doing more than EJ was. And your hilarious comment to discredit scoring under EJ about how the D scored points too...well first TD this weekend with Thad was a pick 6 by our D...so there goes that ridiculous reply too.

I'm going to number your paragraphs individually, point out what logical fallacies you're using, and then prove you wrong. Ready, set, go!

1. Strawman - misrepresenting someone's argument to make it easier to attack.

I never said you said those things. I refuse to tout my so-called victory of Spiller getting hurt. Just because I predicted it doesn't mean I wanted it to be true. If you wish to continue this discussion, create a Spiller thread.

2. Welp, you sucked me back in. This is just absolutely ridiculous. Reggie Wayne has been in the league for 12 years with no major injuries, putting up consistent numbers. Spiller has been injured in 2 of his 4 years and really had only one "good" year. Apples and oranges all over the place.

3. I was trying to say this as well, although he hasn't had a QBR as bad as EJ's worst either.

4. We get it Ms. Spiller, give it a rest. Your boy will do fine in the NFL.

5. The point of the whole "there are only teams in the NFL with 20+ points per game, Bills and Broncos" is for some fans to fool themselves into thinking we have anything in common with the Broncos. If you wanted to compare EJ and Thad, you'd say we're scoring ~20 a game with both QB's. Why even bring up the Broncos in that argument? I'll take "To give us an overinflated sense of self" for $400, Alex.

As for your point about defense helping them score, I said that point when one poster said, "Thad got bailed out by our D, EJ is the man forever!" (paraphrasing). I then said EJ's been bailed out in basically every game. You should try reading the thread.

One more side point, "idiotical?" What does that mean? I'm lost here.

Here you go Thad should start over EJ supporters. Brush up on your statistics and adjust your lame arguments accordingly.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

Player profiles aren't very accurate.

What is accurate is that Thad measured in at the NFL combine at 6004 which for those keeping score at home is barely over 6 feet tall.

Edited by Bangarang

is this board really arguing over a rookie QB with 5 starts who wasn't very good vs a rookie with 2 starts who wasn't very good? Wait, what?

This is precisely why the Bills organization deserves a black eye and why being a bills fan is challenging. Neither guy wins the job over a competent veteran signal caller. To be completely fair, it is a dead heat with no clear winner at this point. One is better at a few things and the other is better at a few things......right now its bulldog crap versus golden retriever crap.....which would you prefer on your shoe?

Now, where are those who wanted Josh Freeman? c'mon....fess up.

Edited by Garranimal

is this board really arguing over a rookie QB with 5 starts who wasn't very good vs a rookie with 2 starts who wasn't very good? Wait, what?

This is precisely why the Bills organization deserves a black eye and why being a bills fan is challenging. Neither guy wins the job over a competent veteran signal caller. To be completely fair, it is a dead heat with no clear winner at this point. One is better at a few things and the other is better at a few things......right now its bulldog crap versus golden retriever crap.....which would you prefer on your shoe?

Now, where are those who wanted Josh Freeman? c'mon....fess up.

No comment other than..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jets game.

So then let's compare apples to apples:

In EJ's third start for this team, on the road, he faced the #6 defense in the NFL, put up 20 points, and lost by a TD while missing on a number of throws and not turning the ball over.

In Thad's third start for this team, on the road, he faced the #12 defense in the NFL, put up 17 points, and lost by 18 while missing on a number of throws and turning the ball over 3 times.

Not that I want Lewis (I want Mettenberger) but in our W against the Ravens didn't EJ fumble twice & throw 2 ints?

You're correct. EJ also needs to protect the ball better. If I'm remembering correctly: his first INT bounced right off Stevie's hands, while his second was a deep ball that basically amounted to a punt. His first fumble was a bad one (even if Glenn should have fallen on the ball), while the second did not result in a turnover.

Taking a good look at the Bills 2nd half schedule, The playoff race is not over IMO

It's over. Marrone knew it during this game.

The schedule is easier, but this team isn't quite good enough to put together the string of wins needed. 8-8 would be good at this point.

Either Denver or KC will be one of the Wild Card teams, and the Bills aren't going to win the division. That leaves one playoff spot....very unlikely the Bills will be that team.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro