How many games does Thad Lewis have to win to remain the starter

johnwalter

How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?

• 3-2 in his next five starts
    • 4-1 in his next five starts
    • 5-0 in his next five starts

I would say ride the hot hand. if Thad is winning keep Thad in. If he is not doing well when EJ gets back, put EJ In.

Thad was pretty good against the Bengals in his 1st start. The performance against Miami was not good at all yesterday with many off target throws.

The defense won the game yesterday for the Bills. EJ 's rightfully starting once he's healthy.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it or not EJ's rookie year is quickly going down the toilet. He's not improving his professional quarterbacking skills as much as he should because he's sidelined eight weeks out of a 20 game schedule (including the preseason).

Guys, seriously??? Why??? EJ is the starter. Thad looks to be a capable back up. Let us be happy with that. Like someone else stated, unless Thad throws for 300 yds pr game and 3 t.d. with little to no INTS, there is no reason to discuss this. So far Thad has played about the same as EJ did. Thad has had more time in the NFL and thus understands the speed a little better. EJ has a very high ceiling like Sears Tower, Thad has the ceiling of the tallest building in downtown Buffalo.

Guys, seriously??? Why??? EJ is the starter. Thad looks to be a capable back up. Let us be happy with that. Like someone else stated, unless Thad throws for 300 yds pr game and 3 t.d. with little to no INTS, there is no reason to discuss this. So far Thad has played about the same as EJ did. Thad has had more time in the NFL and thus understands the speed a little better. EJ has a very high ceiling like Sears Tower, Thad has the ceiling of the tallest building in downtown Buffalo.

40 storeys.

Honestly, if the Bills beat New Orleans on the road, and undefeated Kansas City team, Pittsburgh on the road and a Jet team that has owned them over the past few years then the coach would be lynched if he replaced his starting QB.

Unfortunately, this is not going to happen because Lewis is not that good. The Bills will be doing incredibly well to go .500 over the next 4 games and hand the reigns back over to EJ so that he can continue his development.

He also hasn't played a game as poor as the one Thad played yesterday IMO.

Apparently you removed the Baltimore game from your memory banks. EJ in that game was terrible.

I have to laugh at this whole discussion. You would have thought EJ was Tom Brady Part 2 given the comments about him. His play and Lewis' play have been remarkably similar. EJ was a bit better on the short game, Lewis has been better in the long game, but essentially their stats and the way they have moved the offense has been virtually the same. With that said, EJ will always get the starting nod if both are healthy simply because the FO would never allow some journeyman off the practice squad to take over in place of a #1 pick. It just doesn't work that way in the NFL, let alone Buffalo.

Apparently you removed the Baltimore game from your memory banks. EJ in that game was terrible.

I have to laugh at this whole discussion. You would have thought EJ was Tom Brady Part 2 given the comments about him. His play and Lewis' play have been remarkably similar. EJ was a bit better on the short game, Lewis has been better in the long game, but essentially their stats and the way they have moved the offense has been virtually the same. With that said, EJ will always get the starting nod if both are healthy simply because the FO would never allow some journeyman off the practice squad to take over in place of a #1 pick. It just doesn't work that way in the NFL, let alone Buffalo.

He was hardly "terrible" in the Baltimore game. He was okay, not good and certainly not great. I was there.

His worst game, by far, was the Jets game. He didn't handle the pressure well and was off-target routinely. He did put together a TD drive and managed an offensive output of 20 points on the road against a top defense. I contrast that with Thad's game yesterday, in which he faced the 25th-ranked pass D in the NFL and managed 16 offensive points (3 of which were set up by Mario's strip-sack) and threw the ball poorly all game.

I do agree that EJ is the starter unless Thad plays extremely well.

This is based on a lucky win on Sunday over a crappy team? Please. EJ still has some development, but he has a lot more upside than Thad. Anyone notice how many passes got batted away due to his height? How about the painful short passes that missed by a mile. EJ didn't light up the pass game, but he knows how to move in the pocket.

So the conventional wisdom around here is that while Thad Lewis has to be Bradyesque to become the starter, EJ Manuel just needs to play like EJ Manuel (which is about 1000 points beneath Bradyesque and 143 points beneath Thad-esque) to remain the starter.

I'm fascinated. What have you guys got INVESTED in EJ Manuel? Do tell.

Edited by alias

So the conventional wisdom around here is that while Thad Lewis has to be Bradyesque to become the starter, EJ Manuel just needs to play like EJ Manuel (which is about 1000 points beneath Bradyesque and 143 points beneath Thad-esque) to remain the starter. Fascinating.

What have you guys got INVESTED in EJ Manuel? Do tell.

Not much, which is significantly lower than what the front office has invested in him and is the reason it's EJ's job to lose.

Personally, I think EJ has a much higher upside than Lewis, and I'm not as confident as you appear to be that Lewis is the better QB right now.

I don't think it matters how many games the Bills win. The biggest point there is that I'm talking about games the TEAM wins. In the last two weeks, they've netted 178 and 192 passing yards. But for the Bills defense and take aways, that game would have been a loss. Thaddeus clearly isn't the defining reason why they won yesterday. As such, there will be ZERO controversy when EJ is ready to return. He's the starter, period.

So the conventional wisdom around here is that while Thad Lewis has to be Bradyesque to become the starter, EJ Manuel just needs to play like EJ Manuel (which is about 1000 points beneath Bradyesque and 143 points beneath Thad-esque) to remain the starter. Fascinating.

What have you guys got INVESTED in EJ Manuel? Do tell.

I don't think that conventional wisdom around here says that at all. I think that people's opinions on the issue are reflective of the idea that the record has little to do with whether or not Thad or EJ should be starting. From what I've read here, folks believe it's more about how Thad plays than it is about how EJ plays. Unless he's markedly better in many areas, it makes a lot more sense to go with EJ.

EJ has a very high ceiling like Sears Tower, Thad has the ceiling of the tallest building in downtown Buffalo.

And how do we know this exactly? I hear this on here, player X has more "upside". How do you know? You don't. Rob Johnson had more "upside" than Flutie if I recall correctly.

I'm not saying at this point, Thaddeus should be the starter when EJ gets back. But I would also say EJ has done nothing to seperate him from Thaddeus except he was the #1 pick. Let Thaddeus play a few more games. We don't have to decide anything right now.

Okay, I keep hearing that EJ is our Franchise QB. What do you base that determination on? Come on, convince me why EJ is the Franchise QB or Lewis is not. But do not say because he was our first round pick. Where you were picked does not make you a better player, just a player who makes more money and has higher expectations to meet.

How is EJ better than Lewis? Give me statistics and facts to convince me, not personal wishes and opinions.

Understand I am not saying I believe that Lewis is a Franchise QB. Convince me why EJ is better than Lewis based on his actual play on the field during the regular season. Has EJ had a better long ball in actual games? Has he given up less picks per game on average? Has he given up less sacks per game on average? Has he had a better completion rate? Has he made better decisions? Has he shown better leadership skills?

I am not slamming or promoting either player. I want you to convince me that either one has given an actual performance on the field that has shown that he deserves to be considered a potential franchise QB. Remember use statics and actual performance, not opinions and feelings.

This is your challenge. Make your case for anointing a Franchise QB for the Bills!

Great post. I noticed everyone ignored you too; no one addressed what you said.

EJ can't get back soon enough. Certainly not before he's 100%, but let's not pretend Lewis is some sort of upgrade in the meantime. He's barely serviceable from what I've seen.

From what I have seen of EJ he has been barely serviceable too.

From what I have seen from them both:

- Thad throws a better deep ball and all of his passes have more zip (SJ seems to have trouble catching them).

- Thad has been significantly better while running the read-option.

- Neither has consistently made reads quick enough, resulting in sacks

- Thad seems to be much quicker in the pocket, where EJ is a slower, bigger body type. Both avoid the rush well, but I think Thad has been better when deciding to scramble.

- Both EJ and Thad had their best games against better defenses (Carolina and Cincy)

- Both have kept us in every game they have played.

- EJ threw more INTs, Thad's only INT was when his arm was hit by the rush - I don't blame him for that pick

If EJ is going to start over Lewis, then the reasons cannot be:

- He was a first round pick

- He is taller.

It should also be noted, for the purpose of this discussion, that not everyone thought EJ was a 1st round talent. The Cowboys had him as a 4th rounder, for example.

Edited by peterpan