We should've traded A. Williams when his stock was high

FireChan

Aaron Williams had a monster game against Boring Joe Flacco a few weeks ago. After said game, he returned to form, getting burned too often and not making any plays. What is his role in this defense? Are we supposed to pretend he can be just like Byrd? Byrd was a CB converted to safety as well, but Byrd looked good for more than one game in his first year. I don't think Williams will be even close to Byrd and Byrd isn't even that good. Leonhard is a more consistent playmaker, and Searcy, while young and mistake prone, has actually had more than 1 good game in his career. And while it is unlikely Byrd stays here, if he did, Aaron Williams would be a ST player only.

So, we should've jettisoned the guy. Called up any team, I don't care if it was the Pats or the Jets, and unloaded him for a hopeful 2nd round pick or, more likely, a 4th rounder. I hope that the FO did shop him, but I'll never know. If they were not shopping him, they made a mistake. SImple as that.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Williams had a monster game against Boring Joe Flacco a few weeks ago. After said game, he returned to form, getting burned too often and not making any plays. What is his role in this defense? Are we supposed to pretend he can be just like Byrd? Byrd was a CB converted to safety as well, but Byrd looked good for more than one game in his first year. I don't think Williams will be even close to Byrd and Byrd isn't even that good. Leonhard is a more consistent playmaker, and Searcy, while young and mistake prone, has actually had more than 1 good game in his career. And while it is unlikely Byrd stays here, if he did, Aaron Williams would be a ST player only.

So, we should've jettisoned the guy. Called up any team, I don't care if it was the Pats or the Jets, and unloaded him for a hopeful 2nd round pick or, more likely, a 4th rounder. I hope that the FO did shop him, but I'll never know. If they were not shopping him, they made a mistake. SImple as that.

You conveniently ignore the fact that Pettine wanted Byrd and Williams as his starting safeties to begin with.

Carry on.

GO BILLS!!!

can we suspend people for dumb posts?

This place would be nearly empty if we did.

GO BILLS!!!

You do realize the Bills have been playing without 4 of their top 5 DB's for most of the year due to injuries...don't you? And AW was that 5th DB who stayed relatively healthy...Even if the Bills had desires to trade Williams, which I highly doubt they would, the injuries made a thought like that impossible... B-)

Really? Why trade a good safety that's on the verge of becoming a great safety, it just boggles the mind where people come up with this stuff! He hasn't even had a chance to work at his new position with the full secondary in tact, I for one am excited to see this defense once everyone is healthy! Pettine has had to work with a unit that's held together with glue and duct tape so far, so please think before you post such utter nonsense!!!

can we suspend people for dumb posts?

I wish

Lol yep I just got off a week susoension for a dumb post.

Dumb post or insulting response to dumb post?

How many teams are sitting around waiting to unload 1st rounders?

All of 'em, they've been callin' the Bills office begging to trade Byrd for their 1st but the dumb fools in our FO just won't listen

He's played well as a safety.

He's played terrible as a cornerback. Even the Baltimore game he got burned by Torrey Smith on a deep pass.

The plan is to keep him at safety once our other corners are healthy. Probably as a backup to Byrd at free safety or starting over Searcy at the strong spot.

If Byrd is traded or let go in the offseason, he will probably be our starting free safety. If not, he is still great depth.

He's played terrible as a cornerback. Even the Baltimore game he got burned by Torrey Smith on a deep pass.

The plan is to keep him at safety once our other corners are healthy. Probably as a backup to Byrd at free safety or starting over Searcy at the strong spot.

If Byrd is traded or let go in the offseason, he will probably be our starting free safety. If not, he is still great depth.

Everyone gets burned deep by Torrey Smith...But the tackle he made ultimately saved/won the game.

This

and the fact that Aaron Williams lacks the hips and closing speed to be a good corner should be a surprise to no one as that was in many of his pre-draft analysis - along with the analysis that he could be a very good safety

When exactly was A Williams stock high??? he had one game where he made some great plays. He has shown some potential to be a good safety. Williams has been asked to play CB where he is not best suited. By week 10 if everyone stays healthy and this D backfield has time to gel we will really see what this D can do. Defensive backfields are very much like Oline. The more guys play together and get comfortable with one another the better they play. So far i doubt we have had the same guys start a game in the defensive backfield from one week to another.

When exactly was A Williams stock high??? he had one game where he made some great plays. He has shown some potential to be a good safety. Williams has been asked to play CB where he is not best suited. By week 10 if everyone stays healthy and this D backfield has time to gel we will really see what this D can do. Defensive backfields are very much like Oline. The more guys play together and get comfortable with one another the better they play. So far i doubt we have had the same guys start a game in the defensive backfield from one week to another.

THANK YOU!!! This isn't fantasy football where someone has a good game or two and you can unload them for an underachieving yet proven veteran...