We should've traded A. Williams when his stock was high

FireChan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams is a safety now and by all accounts a pretty darn good one...

He will play instead of Searcy in the safety packages

Having A Wiiliams at a Safety position this year caused a hullabalooalready. after the previous horrendous season(or two) he had.

Unde Mr Pettine , Aaron really started to shine and look comfortable then start to hit hard. He did not struggle till we became decimated with injuries in the secondary that the wheels started to wobble and schme and alignments became skewed.

I found him to be redeemed this year at safety and as a player.

I want him on the Bills. period .

Edited by 3rdand12

Aaron Williams had a monster game against Boring Joe Flacco a few weeks ago. After said game, he returned to form, getting burned too often and not making any plays. What is his role in this defense? Are we supposed to pretend he can be just like Byrd? Byrd was a CB converted to safety as well, but Byrd looked good for more than one game in his first year. I don't think Williams will be even close to Byrd and Byrd isn't even that good. Leonhard is a more consistent playmaker, and Searcy, while young and mistake prone, has actually had more than 1 good game in his career. And while it is unlikely Byrd stays here, if he did, Aaron Williams would be a ST player only.

So, we should've jettisoned the guy. Called up any team, I don't care if it was the Pats or the Jets, and unloaded him for a hopeful 2nd round pick or, more likely, a 4th rounder. I hope that the FO did shop him, but I'll never know. If they were not shopping him, they made a mistake. SImple as that.

You are an intelligent and erudite poster, and we are fortunate to have you here.

That what I was saying trade himto Denver for a first.

Williams is an asset as a safety and as an emergency cornerback. You don't trade players like that.

Denver's first round pick will probably be somewhere between pick #28 to pick #32. The Bills' second round pick could easily be somewhere around pick #40 to #45. Is trading away an asset really worth that pick?

Williams is an asset as a safety and as an emergency cornerback. You don't trade players like that.

Denver's first round pick will probably be somewhere between pick #28 to pick #32. The Bills' second round pick could easily be somewhere around pick #40 to #45. Is trading away an asset really worth that pick?

What pick # did we get Kiko and Woods?

Now you're hedging your point on the recent drafting successes of the Bill's FO. Eeesh. Remember, money you have now is worth more than money you can have in the future.

Do you believe we won't draft successful next year too? That stinks. Or do you think the FO believes they can't draft successfully again? I said sell high, not sell for nothing. I don't see how trading a second-stringer for a possible starter could be that big of a risk. Getting a complete "bust" would be worst case scenario, but we could get a potential starter or a second stringer at literally any other position and they would be more important to this team than AW. In the grand scheme of the future of this franchise, it'd be like betting 5 dollars and you can either end up with 15, 10, 5 or 0.

Edited by FireChan

When exactly was A Williams stock high??? he had one game where he made some great plays. He has shown some potential to be a good safety. Williams has been asked to play CB where he is not best suited. By week 10 if everyone stays healthy and this D backfield has time to gel we will really see what this D can do. Defensive backfields are very much like Oline. The more guys play together and get comfortable with one another the better they play. So far i doubt we have had the same guys start a game in the defensive backfield from one week to another.

> Defensive backfields are very much like Oline.

Don't let Bill from NYC hear this! :o

Edited by Edwards' Arm

This may be better in the "unpopular opinions" thread...but here goes:

I still think Aaron Williams has some up-side. I realize, he has been burned a bit this year, but I think his coverage has been much, much better than last year. It may just be the result of better defensive coaching, but Williams, though beat, has had pretty good coverage most of the time...he has not been getting burned like last year...he has been so close on so many plays...corner really is one of the toughest positions to play in the NFL (probably behind only QB)...the receivers are getting bigger, and the rules are really stacked against them. I am sure there are those who are still not thrilled with the play of Leodis McKelvin, but look how long it has taken him to be thought of as a legit corner, rather than just a return man. Williams may ultimately be better at safety, but he does have some talent.

This may be better in the "unpopular opinions" thread...but here goes:

I still think Aaron Williams has some up-side. I realize, he has been burned a bit this year, but I think his coverage has been much, much better than last year. It may just be the result of better defensive coaching, but Williams, though beat, has had pretty good coverage most of the time...he has not been getting burned like last year...he has been so close on so many plays...corner really is one of the toughest positions to play in the NFL (probably behind only QB)...the receivers are getting bigger, and the rules are really stacked against them. I am sure there are those who are still not thrilled with the play of Leodis McKelvin, but look how long it has taken him to be thought of as a legit corner, rather than just a return man. Williams may ultimately be better at safety, but he does have some talent.

But you're missing the point of the thread.

Do you think that after he showed that he does indeed have some legitimate potential that we should try and trade him for a 4th(or up to 2nd) round draft pick?

Aaron Williams had a monster game against Boring Joe Flacco a few weeks ago. After said game, he returned to form, getting burned too often and not making any plays. What is his role in this defense? Are we supposed to pretend he can be just like Byrd? Byrd was a CB converted to safety as well, but Byrd looked good for more than one game in his first year. I don't think Williams will be even close to Byrd and Byrd isn't even that good. Leonhard is a more consistent playmaker, and Searcy, while young and mistake prone, has actually had more than 1 good game in his career. And while it is unlikely Byrd stays here, if he did, Aaron Williams would be a ST player only.

So, we should've jettisoned the guy. Called up any team, I don't care if it was the Pats or the Jets, and unloaded him for a hopeful 2nd round pick or, more likely, a 4th rounder. I hope that the FO did shop him, but I'll never know. If they were not shopping him, they made a mistake. SImple as that.

What is this Williams bashing all about?

A. Williams has looked good at safety so far and he was invaluable to the team when he moved back to CB due to injuries. He has made several big plays this seasons.

You need lots of good DBs to survive in today's NFL; having versatile players like Williams is an advantage. I see Williams taking a big step forward in his develoment this year and I see a fired up kid that wants to play for us.

Can the same be said for Byrd? I expect Byrd to be gone next season.