When will we cut a QB

Mango

We are carrying 5! (Plus Kolb, but he's on IR, no roster spot)

EJ, Tuel, Flynn, Lewis, Dixon. I don't get it, the fact that we signed 3 QB's in a week means the staff isn't confident enough in his abilities. This goes beyond due dilligence, and makes no sense as to why we have so many. Lose Tuel, then cut one more when EJ comes back.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the practice squad one -

We are carrying 4 and ones out and another is dinged up two might not be ready mentally. When ej is healthy or another position is thin we will make a move between tuel and Flynn (or tuel and Dixon)

Edited by NoSaint

We are carrying 5! (Plus Kolb, but he's on IR, no roster spot)

EJ, Tuel, Flynn, Lewis, Dixon. I don't get it, the fact that we signed 3 QB's in a week means the staff isn't confident enough in his abilities. This goes beyond due dilligence, and makes no sense as to why we have so many. Lose Tuel, then cut one more when EJ comes back.

I was wondering the same thing...The thing that really baffles me is the signing of Flynn, a guy who's failure should be proven by now, when we already had these other guys.

Technically Dixon is on the practice squad, so there are only 4 QB's on the roster, plus Dixon on the PS, plus Kolb on IR...Pretty hilarious. Still that means there are 4 QB's vying for practice time right now, with EJ watching on the sidelines. Sounds like a mess to me. Training camp has extended half way into the season.

Another thing that doesn't make a lot of sense is their explanation of Tuel. They say he HAS to be on the active roster because they are afraid of losing him, yet they think so little of him that they have to try and sign every QB under the sun to be a backup above him....

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Another thing that doesn't make a lot of sense is their explanation of Tuel. They say he HAS to be on the active roster because they are afraid of losing him, yet they think so little of him that they have to try and sign every QB under the sun to be a backup above him....

Here is my positive outlook on keeping Tuel on the active roster…we’re doing the same thing with him that the *Pats* did with Brady during his rookie year. They knew they had some talent and didn’t want to risk losing him by trying to get him on the PS so they carried 4 QBs all season long. Now if only the rest of the stars can align for us…

I believe that Flynn will be the odd man out once EJ is healthy…unless his experience is paying dividends in the film room.

Here is my positive outlook on keeping Tuel on the active roster…we’re doing the same thing with him that the *Pats* did with Brady during his rookie year. They knew they had some talent and didn’t want to risk losing him by trying to get him on the PS so they carried 4 QBs all season long. Now if only the rest of the stars can align for us…

I believe that Flynn will be the odd man out once EJ is healthy…unless his experience is paying dividends in the film room.

It really boils down to any team would struggle losing their top 2 qbs in a span of a month or so.... In my opinion, tuel, like you said (though Brady comparison is a bit much I get your point), is a guy they consider a good long term prospect that isn't ready today. That's not that strange, as long as they get the assessment right.

At this point it may even be "if Thad is killed Sunday, flynn isn't ready yet so atleast tuel around for now.sometimes it seems people forget your backup is one snap from playing and a guy like Flynn on 6 days notice probably shouldn't be put in that position even if you hate tuel as a player.

Edited by NoSaint

Not sure I buy the love affair with Tuel after the debacle in Cleveland --- it was clear the Bills yelled from the top of te mountain with the promotion of Thad Lewis to starter that Tuel is nowhere near ready -- if he was, he would have played last Sunday ---

I think the Bills will keep all 4 until they get another injury that forces them to add a player at another position --- in meantime, there is no harm except the dreaded splitting of reps in practice that hurts all QB's development ---

BTW, it cracks me up that the Vikings are starting Freeman on Monday --- I remember last year Gailey saying that T Jax couldn't learn the offense after 15 weeks ! --- either T Jax is dumb as a stump or Gailey had his head up his a$$ --- I'll vote the later

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

Once Flynn learns the playbook and terminology, Tuel time will be over in Buffalo. The not-ready-for-prime-time performance in Cleveland began the proceedings, and once the staff chose the practice squad QB to leapfrog him, the die have now been cast. And based on Lewis's performance vs. Cincy, he is etched as our #2 from here on out (at worst). I am sure Lewis had also dropped some nice deep balls down the chimney in practice vs. our #1 defense to help them make the decision to go with him over Tuel.

If Lewis went down vs. Cincy, and Tuel time came in only to again flash that JV arm on the way to another ineffective performance, this staff would have been grilled to the Nth degree from all angles. I give them credit for acting on what they saw, just as they did with Colin Brown and Shawn Powell ... and they now brought a guy in here (Flynn) who can at least play the position at this level. My feeling is that Flynn would not all but eliminate our chance to win a game by stepping onto the field ... and I can not say that about Tuel. Not a high bar, but I guarantee that Flynn stays here longer than Tuel.

I also think the Bills will keep Dixon on as the practice squad QB over Tuel. Tuel's arm might be weaker than Matt Leinart's, and that is saying a lot ... so what is really there to develop in him? DBs can not truly be kept honest if your only hope is to float one out there to a spot with anticipation and WR precision. For this reason, Tuel will not give our starting defense as good a look running the scout team as Dixon will. You do not have to be Uncle Rico, but you do have to actually be able to throw the ball with some sort of mustard on it in the NFL.

The only reason he made the roster in the first place is because Kolb got knocked silly, and he was the only one left who knew the playbook. The week before opening day is about the very worst time to shop for QBs who can help you. We did about as well as you could in finding Thad Lewis under a Detroit rock.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Not sure I buy the love affair with Tuel after the debacle in Cleveland --- it was clear the Bills yelled from the top of te mountain with the promotion of Thad Lewis to starter that Tuel is nowhere near ready -- if he was, he would have played last Sunday ---

I think the Bills will keep all 4 until they get another injury that forces them to add a player at another position --- in meantime, there is no harm except the dreaded splitting of reps in practice that hurts all QB's development ---

BTW, it cracks me up that the Vikings are starting Freeman on Monday --- I remember last year Gailey saying that T Jax couldn't learn the offense after 15 weeks ! --- either T Jax is dumb as a stump or Gailey had his head up his a$$ --- I'll vote the later

It really boils down to any team would struggle losing their top 2 qbs in a span of a month or so.... In my opinion, tuel, like you said (though Brady comparison is a bit much I get your point), is a guy they consider a good long term prospect that isn't ready today. That's not that strange, as long as they get the assessment right.

I wouldn't call it a love affair - simply a prospect for a developmental qb is more valuable than your 11th player in the secondary or 12th guy in the front 7.

I think the plan from the get go was stash thad to save the roster spot while he learned the playbook (much like my comment on Flynn, putting Thad in on 8 days notice wouldn't have been productive). If not for the secondary issues think he very possibly would've been on the 53 in Cleveland. Then Dixon assumed that spot, and now flynn a there - adding qbs mid season isn't the simple add a guy drop a guy that some positions can be.

It's amazing the blind support Flynn still gets because of his one fluke game, despite nothing but failure since then. In all likelihood Flynn is on the roster only until EJ is healthy again unless he impresses in practice. Chances are that will not happen, since reports out of both Seattle and Oakland were that Flynn looked terrible in camp and practice, which is why he was supplanted in each situation despite being given every chance to with the job.

I'm not sure Tuel deserves to be on the active roster either, but since they have kept him this long, I'd be surprised if they cut him now.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It's amazing the blind support Flynn still gets because of his one fluke game, despite nothing but failure since then. In all likely hood Flynn is on the roster only until EJ is healthy again unless he impresses in practice. Chances are that will not happen, since reports out of both Seattle and Oakland were that Flynn looked terrible in camp and practice, which is why he was supplanted in each situation despite being given every chance to with the job.

I'm not sure Tuel deserves to be on the active roster either, but since they have kept him this long, I'd be surprised if they cut him now.

I generally think it's a great idea to make long term decisions on rookies (cutting them), after one game. That really is enough to see what you need to see.

I agree, Flynn will be the odd man out, once Manuel is back. They stick with Thad until then...but in the event that the Bills start winning some games before Manuel returns, and Lewis gets hurt (the way things are going, we have to prepare for the worst case scenario), I would assume, the Bills want as many QB's as the can possibly afford to carry. For whatever reason, right or wrong, they seem to have determined that Tuel is worth carrying, no matter the situation. So, you almost have to take him out of the equation of who stays, and who goes. He is staying. Yet, given the Bills actions, there is a better chance that Dennis Dixon takes the field than there is off us seeing Tuel again....unless, of course, there are a bundle of QB injuries on game day.

Tuels appearence against Cleveland was pretty awful, granted...but he did show some flashes in pre-season (fwiw)...it is possible he would perform a bit better with a week to prepare. I think what was most alarming about the Cleveland game was how weak his arm looked...but guys like Chad Pennington managed to be decent back-ups. The situation in Cleveland might have just a been a little "too big" for him. The Bills obviously see something in him...they kind of painted themselves into a corner with him. I am not convinced the market for him would be as hot as the Bills think (especially since they have given him a pretty obvious vote of "no confidence at this time"), but as long as they aren't carrying him to the detriment of other glaring needs, it might not be a bad thing.

I agree, Flynn will be the odd man out, once Manuel is back. They stick with Thad until then...but in the event that the Bills start winning some games before Manuel returns, and Lewis gets hurt (the way things are going, we have to prepare for the worst case scenario), I would assume, the Bills want as many QB's as the can possibly afford to carry. For whatever reason, right or wrong, they seem to have determined that Tuel is worth carrying, no matter the situation. So, you almost have to take him out of the equation of who stays, and who goes. He is staying. Yet, given the Bills actions, there is a better chance that Dennis Dixon takes the field than there is off us seeing Tuel again....unless, of course, there are a bundle of QB injuries on game day.

tuel might not be a lock - they just might not have had anyone who better knew the playbook once things went bad. if they like thad more than him you could still see EJ -- Thad -- Dixon/Tuel on the PS to get back to the original keep 2 and PS 1 roster configuration.

I generally think it's a great idea to make long term decisions on rookies (cutting them), after one game. That really is enough to see what you need to see.

Agreed...for as smart as fans usually are, we are a pretty reactionary lot when it comes down to it. I loved what Thad Lewis did on Sunday, but half the fan base is already ready to put EJ Manuel on notice, and hand the reigns over to Lewis long-term...one game at a time...