When will we cut a QB

Mango

I think Flynn is here until EJ comes back. Just some more injury insurance.

If they wanted to PS Tuel, they would have tried by now.

by keeping him active and signing dixon they allowed themselves more flexibility in the short term.

outside of a short window between week 3-5ish there was literally no opportunity to send him down without leaving the primary backup as someone thats been with the team 2 weeks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing...The thing that really baffles me is the signing of Flynn, a guy who's failure should be proven by now, when we already had these other guys.

Technically Dixon is on the practice squad, so there are only 4 QB's on the roster, plus Dixon on the PS, plus Kolb on IR...Pretty hilarious. Still that means there are 4 QB's vying for practice time right now, with EJ watching on the sidelines. Sounds like a mess to me. Training camp has extended half way into the season.

Another thing that doesn't make a lot of sense is their explanation of Tuel. They say he HAS to be on the active roster because they are afraid of losing him, yet they think so little of him that they have to try and sign every QB under the sun to be a backup above him....

Totally agree. This team has no sense of what they are doing. Yes. They are competitive, but does anyone really think they are going to win anytime soon?

Latest reports indicate we will be incorporating the "Flying V" offense in a few weeks with 5 QB's in the backfield. There's your answer.

This is awesome. Can you imagine the confusion on the defense? You could do five separate laterals on one play!

Totally agree. This team has no sense of what they are doing. Yes. They are competitive, but does anyone really think they are going to win anytime soon?

By "they", I'm guessing you mean the QB's in question? Put yourself in their shoes.......if you had the chance to make $400,000 plus to hold a clipboard, would you do it?

Or better yet, come in when the starter is hurt and pull out a win?

We had one of the greatest backup QB's of all time in Frank Reich.

I think you wait till EJ is healthy. You see how Thad does until then. If Thad plays well then he is your back up when EJ is ready. Flynn leaves. Tuel to PS if still elligible. Dixon gone. The Bills also may want to keep a more mobile QB on the team to help on scout team. With many NFL teams asking their QB's to be mobile it is good to have on ein practice to simulate that.

This is awesome. Can you imagine the confusion on the defense? You could do five separate laterals on one play!

By "they", I'm guessing you mean the QB's in question? Put yourself in their shoes.......if you had the chance to make $400,000 plus to hold a clipboard, would you do it?

Or better yet, come in when the starter is hurt and pull out a win?

We had one of the greatest backup QB's of all time in Frank Reich.

He's not talking about the QB's. He is saying the front office and coaching staff don't know what they are doing, and that the team is competitive.

I wonder if the Bills lead the league in QBs under contract at 6?

I was just talking about this today, if you count Fitzy since he wasn't cut before the deadline, we have had 7 QB's on the team this year. I assume that is an NFL record.

I was just talking about this today, if you count Fitzy since he wasn't cut before the deadline, we have had 7 QB's on the team this year. I assume that is an NFL record.

jackson has collected a paycheck from us this year too.... and ignores the quick stop from leinart.

Edited by NoSaint

We are carrying 5! (Plus Kolb, but he's on IR, no roster spot)

EJ, Tuel, Flynn, Lewis, Dixon. I don't get it, the fact that we signed 3 QB's in a week means the staff isn't confident enough in his abilities. This goes beyond due dilligence, and makes no sense as to why we have so many. Lose Tuel, then cut one more when EJ comes back.

EJ in 3 yrs when we draft Christian Hackenberg

not 100% but im pretty sure an accrued season plus 9 career active games are the two benchmarks that need to be cleared to become ineligible.

its an entirely valid point that i didnt consider when discussing.

if EJ is back by week 9 it would be easy to go thad-ej on gameday. even to do thad - flynn at that point if ej isnt.

out of curiosity - have we been gaming the system with that 3rd qb active as the 46th man on sundays (the old brad smith spot)?

I thought they got rid of that rule??

You (and others) are correct on the PS eligibility rules.

http://www.sbnation....les-eligibility

Eligibility

Practice squads are considered to be for developmental purposes. Therefore, veterans are not eligible to be signed to the practice squad. In fact, players with more than one year of accrued NFL service are not eligible. Here is a closer look at the eligibility requirements.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

Also, to clarify my earlier post, I was not comparing Tuel to Brady, I was comparing the thought process of the *Pats* organization in Brady’s rookie year to the Bills thought process with Tuel this year…and hoping that thought process works out in our favor in the long run.

Edited by 3 --> 10 Connection

EJ, Tuel, Flynn, Lewis, Dixon. I don't get it, the fact that we signed 3 QB's in a week means the staff isn't confident enough in his abilities. This goes beyond due dilligence, and makes no sense as to why we have so many. Lose Tuel, then cut one more when EJ comes back.

Even with all the BS about Tuel being a developmental QB & not wanting to put him on the PS i think this entire situation has done absolutely nothing for his confidence ! When you keep getting pushed down lower & lower you can't tell me even with all the positive BS Marrone is feeding him that the kid is banking on it .

The Flynn move is a waste I was all for brining him in before when he was a FA & i hope they got him for a song because to this point all he has proven is that he is no better than if not worse than Fitz . Of which we are still paying for so if you want to get technical we could say we have 6 QB's on the pay sheet .

I'm not sure but it all looks like a College coach trying to run a NFL squad i just hope that the HC has a method to his madness !! 0:)

It's amazing the blind support Flynn still gets because of his one fluke game, despite nothing but failure since then. In all likelihood Flynn is on the roster only until EJ is healthy again unless he impresses in practice. Chances are that will not happen, since reports out of both Seattle and Oakland were that Flynn looked terrible in camp and practice, which is why he was supplanted in each situation despite being given every chance to with the job.

I'm not sure Tuel deserves to be on the active roster either, but since they have kept him this long, I'd be surprised if they cut him now.

Two(2) fluke games. Or does that mean they weren't flukes. I think the other game was @ NE. Played lights out QB for a first timer. Don't know what happened to him lately.

Why this is puzzling to so many people is baffling to me. You guys act like we just openly have 5 QB's suited up and ready to go each week. First off, Manuel should not even remotely be talked about in this conversation because he is injured can add no value each Sunday until he is back, and he sure is hell isnt getting cut or sent to IR, so he is a MUST carry on the roster while not being able to play.

Dixon being counted is hilarious too because he is not actually on the roster...he is on the practice Squad, again zero relevance in this so called 5 headed QB situation.

Thad Lewis IS our starter until EJ comes back at this point. However, Thad was injured and his availability for Sunday is not yet decided. That would leave only Tuel, who the FO has already shown their thoughts on whether they feel he is ready to start.

Tuel - He is our develpmental guy. They think enough of him that they dont want to risk him being scooped up from the PS, but they also don't feel he is ready to be a week to week starter based on how he showed up in the last Preseason game and his time in live regular season action after EJ went down (and they are spot on with that, he is not ready).

Flynn - Was signed because Thad's availability became questionable, leaving only Tuel (who they feel isnt ready) and a newly signed Dixon who hasn't played any meaningful minutes in a long time and doesn't know the offense either. At least Flynn has been getting first team reps the last 2 seasons battling for a starting QB spot and has been a backup the last 2 years getting some reps where Dixon has been 3rd string or PS.

This team has 3 QB's - EJ is our guy...Thad is our backup once EJ comes back...Tuel is a develomental guy...Flynn is insurance until either Manuel is ready or Dixon can learn enough or show enough on PS that they feel ok cutting Flynn and having Dixon as the real backup to Thad until EJ comes back. Once EJ is back, there will be 3 active QB's on the roster in EJ, Thad, and Tuel.

Even with all the BS about Tuel being a developmental QB & not wanting to put him on the PS i think this entire situation has done absolutely nothing for his confidence ! When you keep getting pushed down lower & lower you can't tell me even with all the positive BS Marrone is feeding him that the kid is banking on it .

If that is the case, then he isnt mentally strong enough to play QB in the NFL anyway. For an undrafted rookie QB to even make an active roster is an accomplishment. That alone is a massive vote of confidence in the kid...that does not mean they also have to feel he is ready today to play QB each week as a starter. If he can not understand that he just isnt ready and needs to earn that spot, then he isnt mentally strong enough to deal with the weekly adversity that QB's face in the NFL anyway, especially as a young one that will make mistakes.

Two(2) fluke games. Or does that mean they weren't flukes. I think the other game was @ NE. Played lights out QB for a first timer. Don't know what happened to him lately.

It's simple - he's a role player, not a cornerstone. He's a smart, hard worker, tough but not one of the 15-20 best qbs in the world. Probably in the top 100 or so though, which means at the right price on the right squad he can still have value, just not a full time starter getting 10m + a year. Much like a fitz, or matt Moore, or kolb if healthy, or... Well, I think its clear what I'm saying.