When will we cut a QB

Mango

tuel might not be a lock - they just might not have had anyone who better knew the playbook once things went bad. if they like thad more than him you could still see EJ -- Thad -- Dixon/Tuel on the PS to get back to the original keep 2 and PS 1 roster configuration.

I would like to see this.

This may not be true...but somebody said yesterday that PS eligibility was based on how many games a player was active...this person (a TBD poster) said that Tuel was no longer eligible for PS. Never had time to research that...anyone know the rules?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally think it's a great idea to make long term decisions on rookies (cutting them), after one game. That really is enough to see what you need to see.

Ok, I certainly didn't suggest that. I very clearly indicated that I DIDN'T think he would be cut.

And no part of my opinion about Tuel was formed during a couple of quarters of backup work against Cleveland.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I would like to see this.

This may not be true...but somebody said yesterday that PS eligibility was based on how many games a player was active...this person (a TBD poster) said that Tuel was no longer eligible for PS. Never had time to research that...anyone know the rules?

you are eligible if you havent been on a roster for an accrued season (6 games), and if you have an accrued season the max is 9 games total.

tuel is eligible.

you could see them cut tuel, then choose between he and dixon.

that would leave EJ, thad, and it wouldnt even be crazy to have flynn around if either of those two are hurt but presumably dixon could be your next guy into the rotation at that point if hes still around.

Edited by NoSaint

you are eligible if you havent been on a roster for an accrued season (6 games), and if you have an accrued season the max is 9 games total.

tuel is eligible.

that would leave EJ, thad, and it wouldnt even be crazy to have flynn around if either of those two are hurt but presumably dixon could be your next guy into the rotation at that point if hes still around.

You COULD see that...but the Bills have clearly been unwilling to PS him to this point. I'd be shocked if the Bills have "protected" him this long, only to bail out now. I think it's much more likely that Flynn is cut as soon as EJ is healthy, or possibly earlier. Or perhaps they just keep everyone, although that seems ridiculous to me. Clearly the Bills don't feel a tight squeeze for roster spots, they have shown that all year long by keeping multiple kickers and QB's, as well as keeping injured players on the roster.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

We are carrying 5! (Plus Kolb, but he's on IR, no roster spot)

EJ, Tuel, Flynn, Lewis, Dixon. I don't get it, the fact that we signed 3 QB's in a week means the staff isn't confident enough in his abilities. This goes beyond due dilligence, and makes no sense as to why we have so many. Lose Tuel, then cut one more when EJ comes back.

+1 That is the only option that give us "the best chance to win". Tuel may have potential but who wants to wait for this guy? They either put him in the game and expect the worse or cut him. They obviously dont have faith in him. Cut Tuel. EJ,Lewis, and Flynn stay active,

You COULD see that...but the Bills have clearly been unwilling to PS him to this point. I'd be shocked if the Bills have "protected" him this long, only to bail out now. I think it's much more likely that Flynn is cut as soon as EJ is healthy, or possibly earlier. Or perhaps they just keep everyone, although that seems ridiculous to me. Clearly the Bills don't feel a tight squeeze for roster spots, they have shown that all year long by keeping multiple kickers and QB's, as well as keeping injured players on the roster.

was keeping him week 1 protecting him, or not thinking thad was ready if EJ was hurt on the first play? likewise is it now protecting him or is it saying Dixon and Flynn arent up to speed yet?

because of the way the kolb, and then EJ injuries worked out the only place we know they made a direct choice between tuel and someone else was with Jackson, and that may have simply been money and promoting thad to jump over him.

just a possibility.

Edited by NoSaint

I wouldn't call it a love affair - simply a prospect for a developmental qb is more valuable than your 11th player in the secondary or 12th guy in the front 7.

I think the plan from the get go was stash thad to save the roster spot while he learned the playbook (much like my comment on Flynn, putting Thad in on 8 days notice wouldn't have been productive). If not for the secondary issues think he very possibly would've been on the 53 in Cleveland. Then Dixon assumed that spot, and now flynn a there - adding qbs mid season isn't the simple add a guy drop a guy that some positions can be.

My "love affair" comment is based on many on this board having at one time or another called for Tuel to START, projecting good training

camp practices and a nice preseason into something more than he is right now --- in addition, comparing Tuel to Brady is ridiculous

Tuel is the definition of PRACTICE SQUAD --- a kid that has potential but needs time ---

That's my main point

Edited by TXBILLSFAN

was keeping him week 1 protecting him, or not thinking thad was ready if EJ was hurt on the first play? likewise is it now protecting him or is it saying Dixon and Flynn arent up to speed yet?

because of the way the kolb, and then EJ injuries worked out the only place we know they made a direct choice between tuel and someone else was with Jackson, and that may have simply been money and promoting thad to jump over him.

just a possibility.

Well Marrone specifically said that they kept Tuel on the roster solely to protect him, and that Lewis was really the main backup plan for EJ. Judging by their actions so far, he certainly seemed to be telling the truth. So since the Bills have said as much themselves, I believe that's what they are doing. It also seems to be the best explanation why Tuel is on the roster, but not even being considered to play now.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Well Marrone specifically said that they kept Tuel on the roster solely to protect him, and that Lewis was really the main backup plan for EJ. Judging by their actions so far, he certainly seemed to be telling the truth. So since the Bills have said as much themselves, I believe that's what they are doing. It also seems to be the best explanation why Tuel is on the roster, but not even being considered to play now.

oh, i agree its the most likely... but i also think situations change and are fluid, and i dont always take a coach (especially a parcells/sean payton protege) at face value. simply saying its possible that they have held closely for lack of a better IMMEDIATE option (ie snap 2 of the game in the coming week), as much as the long term development discussion. now that we are seeing some immediate options settle in, we will see if the actions match the words. good chance they do, possible they do not.

A lot of good comments here, but I don!t believe we know that the real thought is, although I think it can change week

to week depending on the QB game performance.

Irregardless, I don!t also believe that Marrone runs the football operation, rather it is done by commitee with imput from

Brandon, Whaley, Overdorf etc. and maybe even the janitors opinion.

Very few coaches, especially rookies have complete say, I know Belichick does. Let Marrone win a few SB and maybe

he will get that power.

tuel is eligible.

Wait..so Tuel is ineligible as of this past week? Or, he will be ineligible in after another 3 weeks? Sorry, I am not as dumb as I sound sometimes... :lol:

Wait..so Tuel is ineligible as of this past week? Or, he will be ineligible in after another 3 weeks? Sorry, I am not as dumb as I sound sometimes... :lol:

no worries - i was debating how to write that clearly myself.

if you havent accrued a season, you are eligible no matter what - example a guy that only hits the active roster for 2-3 games a year like dennis dixon i believe

if you have accrued that season by being active for 6 games, you are still eligible up until you have logged 9 active games in your career.

so hes now accrued a season, but he hasnt hit the 9 game threshold yet. that may be something that forces the hand IF they want to test the PS idea with him

Edited by NoSaint

Tuel needs a lot more time to develop if it happens at all. Flynn is here if Thaddeus gets hurt before EJ returns. Hope the game played by Flynn for Oakland was a fluke. Then we have Tuel who knows the playbook.

if you havent accrued a season, you are eligible no matter what - example a guy that only hits the active roster for 2-3 games a year like dennis dixon i believe

if you have accrued that season by being active for 6 games, you are still eligible up until you have logged 9 active games in your career.

so hes now accrued a season, but he hasnt hit the 9 game threshold yet. that may be something that forces the hand IF they want to test the PS idea with him

With the glut of QB's now available, I would imagine Tuel will be inactive for much of the rest of the year. They certainly don't seem to actually want him to play. I think they may try to keep him PS eligible using those means, if they keep him on the roster.

My guess is he will be active this week, but after that Flynn will probably be the active backup to Thad until EJ returns.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I thought that was 9 games in any given season?

Regardless they are actually hurting Tuel and not protecting him. If he stays active for the 9 weeks he can not even join any practice squad in the future. This means he will be out of the NFL after one year and no longer able to learn or make money playing football for the NFL. Unless, of course, someone is going to put him on the active roster which seems unlikely at this point.

Once Flynn learns the playbook and terminology, Tuel time will be over in Buffalo. The not-ready-for-prime-time performance in Cleveland began the proceedings, and once the staff chose the practice squad QB to leapfrog him, the die have now been cast. And based on Lewis's performance vs. Cincy, he is etched as our #2 from here on out (at worst). I am sure Lewis had also dropped some nice deep balls down the chimney in practice vs. our #1 defense to help them make the decision to go with him over Tuel.

If Lewis went down vs. Cincy, and Tuel time came in only to again flash that JV arm on the way to another ineffective performance, this staff would have been grilled to the Nth degree from all angles. I give them credit for acting on what they saw, just as they did with Colin Brown and Shawn Powell ... and they now brought a guy in here (Flynn) who can at least play the position at this level. My feeling is that Flynn would not all but eliminate our chance to win a game by stepping onto the field ... and I can not say that about Tuel. Not a high bar, but I guarantee that Flynn stays here longer than Tuel.

I also think the Bills will keep Dixon on as the practice squad QB over Tuel. Tuel's arm might be weaker than Matt Leinart's, and that is saying a lot ... so what is really there to develop in him? DBs can not truly be kept honest if your only hope is to float one out there to a spot with anticipation and WR precision. For this reason, Tuel will not give our starting defense as good a look running the scout team as Dixon will. You do not have to be Uncle Rico, but you do have to actually be able to throw the ball with some sort of mustard on it in the NFL.

The only reason he made the roster in the first place is because Kolb got knocked silly, and he was the only one left who knew the playbook. The week before opening day is about the very worst time to shop for QBs who can help you. We did about as well as you could in finding Thad Lewis under a Detroit rock.

Good points and nice Uncle Rico reference.

I thought that was 9 games in any given season?

Regardless they are actually hurting Tuel and not protecting him. If he stays active for the 9 weeks he can not even join any practice squad in the future. This means he will be out of the NFL after one year and no longer able to learn or make money playing football for the NFL. Unless, of course, someone is going to put him on the active roster which seems unlikely at this point.

not 100% but im pretty sure an accrued season plus 9 career active games are the two benchmarks that need to be cleared to become ineligible.

With the glut of QB's now available, I would imagine Tuel will be inactive for much of the rest of the year. They certainly don't seem to actually want him to play. I think they may try to keep him PS eligible using those means, if they keep him on the roster.

My guess is he will be active this week, but after that Flynn will probably be the active backup to Thad until EJ returns.

its an entirely valid point that i didnt consider when discussing.

if EJ is back by week 9 it would be easy to go thad-ej on gameday. even to do thad - flynn at that point if ej isnt.

out of curiosity - have we been gaming the system with that 3rd qb active as the 46th man on sundays (the old brad smith spot)?