leave replacements out of hall of fame (reinduct rush if you have to)

Sales do not = talent. Talent should be the only criteria to get into any Hall of Fame.

If it was about sales, Justin Beiber and Maroon 5 would be legends.

impact on the industry is a factor, and sales can be (certainly isnt always) a barometer of how much an artist shaped the music industry. in brooks case, i think its a fair point for boyst to make (though i dont agree hes rock n roll and therefor shouldnt be in the discussion)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sales do not = talent. Talent should be the only criteria to get into any Hall of Fame.

Well...they will be eligible at some point...how much longer does Britney Spears have to be eligible...another 5-10?

I was thinking of how hilarious it would be for them and Nirvana to get in with Hall and Oates.

I can't go for that.....

And what's all this about Keanu Reeves going into the HOF? They had a couple lucky wins and that was it.

How on earth do you judge talent? It's all bull ****! Just like the Academy Awards, Tony's, Emmy's, Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's an industry circle jerk. I like what I like, you like what you like and who gives a flying flip what anyone else likes.

How on earth do you judge talent? It's all bull ****! Just like the Academy Awards, Tony's, Emmy's, Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's an industry circle jerk. I like what I like, you like what you like and who gives a flying flip what anyone else likes.

Are you asking me for advice on how you should judge talent, Jim?

How on earth do you judge talent?

Duh, this is an easy one. What I like is good music by talented musicians. When others agree with me they also enjoy good music by talented musicians. When they disagree they like industry marketed crap and have no taste.

are y'all really trying to tell me that these aren't the faces of Rock & Roll hall of famers????? (for the record, i think they belong and i am a big fan of theirs)...by the way, is J. Geils in the HoF?

Guess not

"In September 2010 it was announced that The J. Geils Band was a finalist nominee for selection to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Class Of 2011, but were not selected for induction that year."

Edited by The Poojer

Duh, this is an easy one. What I like is good music by talented musicians. When others agree with me they also enjoy good music by talented musicians. When they disagree they like industry marketed crap and have no taste.

Holy crap that's EXACTLY how I judge musical talent.

By the number of texts Fox receives in the two hours after airing.

So the same way we pick a President and prom queen?

and yet, as you've noted in regards to the Hall of Fame being a sham, some of the previous "inductees" fail to pass the smell vs. sales test. ... i'm agreeing with you. the line has been blurred far too much and far too often to question anything the Hall of Fame does in choosing its inductees.

jw

All the same arguments many die hard Rush fans (myself included) used as to why Rush should snub the Hall once they got in. In the end when Geddy Lee was asked about the possibility of snubbing the Hall his response was "That's not a very gracious way to respond to an honor".....and he's right. If the Replacements get in, they will attend and be inducted by a band or someone that they respect, play in the jam and enjoy the experience.

If the Replacements get in, they will attend and be inducted by a band or someone that they respect, play in the jam and enjoy the experience.

don't be too sure of that. i would be greatly disappointed if that happened.

it would go entirely against the grain of everything they stood for and against.

Rush reflects the canadian mentality, overjoyed to be recognized. the 'mats have been and remain an entirely contrarian different beast, from pissing off lorne michaels -- another canadian -- to pissing off nearly every record executive during a fall-down-drunk show at CBGBs, to, more recently, Paul wearing a canadiens jersey for the encore in toronto.

in the spirit of rock and roll -- and not the spirit of radio, which did more for rush than ever recognizing the 'mats -- a big fat finger in the air is how any potential induction should be greeted.

respect? the 'mats have it. they don't need some silly honor in some fancy facade on the shores of lake erie for mere validation.

jw