Take a stroll behind enemy lines

The Big Cat

Reading their board makes me realize something.

Bills v. Fish is no longer a major NFL rivalry. I have known that for years, but it really sucks. There is no hatred for us on their board. We are just another divisional opponent.

I will always hate the Fish more than any other team. That's part of the fun. Having a team to actually hate.

Even when we were a big rival, to Dolphins fans Jets were always bigger.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a very good friend who is a diehard Fin fan. 8-9 years ago the majority of our football talk was trashing the others team and talking up our own. Now... we trash talk the Jets and Pats and generally talk well of each others teams. He would much rather see the Bills win the division, if the Fins can't. And I would rather see Miami win it, if we can't. Yes, the decade of fail has changed the very fabric of our division and the rivalries within, at least for us.

To your first point about Fish winning the division, I say NEVER. EVER.

And to the Decade of Fail, if you mean the 1970s, then yes. It did change the fabric of our division. And I'm not old. I'm only 45. I wasnt even a teenager during the true Decade of Fail. But it left a lifelong mark on me.

Even when we were a big rival, to Dolphins fans Jets were always bigger.

I sorta had that impression even back then. Its kinda like Michigan State. Their "rival" is Michigan. But Michigan couldnt care less. Michigan's rival is Ohio State.

But Brian Cox acted like he hated us more than anything. That kept it stoked. And Thurman was dead to me, in that uniform. There is only one team to which a Buffalo Bills player may never ever ever actually CHOOSE to go.

Still. I will always hate the fish. They are the only team whose players I hope get injured. I wish their team headquarters would explode. I would rather go 2-14 and sweep them, then go 8-8, miss the playoffs, and get swept by them.

Old School.

Edited by maddenboy

My largest concern is that the Bengals came out with an outstanding offensive game plan to counter our defense. Hopefully that didn't give Miami (and others) too much of a blueprint to work off of. Then again, I don't know if Miami has the offensive weapons that Cincinnati has to take advantage of it.

And to the Decade of Fail, if you mean the 1970s, then yes. It did change the fabric of our division. And I'm not old. I'm only 45. I wasnt even a teenager during the true Decade of Fail. But it left a lifelong mark on me.

I get it, being 45 myself, I've had all those same feelings about the Dolphins. But the 70's were forever ago and the futility of last 10+yrs just seems greater. At least in the 70's we had OJ. What have we had since 2000... Beldsoe? Plus the way the Pats have beaten us is just embarassing. Add to that the Jets complete domination and manhandling of our teams for that last 4-5 yrs along with the constant ball washing of Brady, its just nauseating.

It'd be curious to add up the numbers, but I just feels like we've been way worse and much more dominated by the Pats than we were the Fins in the 70s. And here we sit at 13 years and counting with a new FO, new coaches, new players with really no end in sight.

I sorta had that impression even back then. Its kinda like Michigan State. Their "rival" is Michigan. But Michigan couldnt care less. Michigan's rival is Ohio State.

But Brian Cox acted like he hated us more than anything. That kept it stoked. And Thurman was dead to me, in that uniform. There is only one team to which a Buffalo Bills player may never ever ever actually CHOOSE to go.

Still. I will always hate the fish. They are the only team whose players I hope get injured. I wish their team headquarters would explode. I would rather go 2-14 and sweep them, then go 8-8, miss the playoffs, and get swept by them.

Old School.

I remember the days of 0-for-the 70s, but I'm past that. The Marino-Kelly rivalry was good, but I got over the Phins when Dan Marino constantly talked about beating Buffalo. These days, it's now time for EJ, Freddy, & Stevie to talk about beating the Patriots.

I laugh at everyone who said Thurman was dead to them by playing 1 season in Miami. Personally, if the company I hated the most gave me a job when nobody else would, I wouldn't turn it down. I don't blame Thurman for going there...sure, I would have preferred he retire instead, but it shouldn't let anyone's respect for him diminish what he did in Buffalo.

On finheaven, they have a thread where the majority of posters say they rather have Tannehill than Russell Wilson.

Is that really crazy??? Stats this year: Wilson: 1254 yds, 8 TD 4 INT

Tannehill: 1383 Yds, 6 TD 5 INT in one less game.

Tannehill may have more long term potential... I dunno, but its not a totally crazy notion.

Losing culture...tag, you're it.

Nice cop out. I know you fancy yourself as some kind of street smart, wise cracking, "tough chick", and I'll bet people even tell you that you have "gumption" and "moxie", but your little digs add nothing and come across as juvenile and amateurish. It would be refreshing to see you offer an original opinion rather than do your best Sully impression.

Please tell me how this culture of losing extends to a brand new coaching staff and all the new additions to the roster? A culture of losing is a convenient explain all. At least up to the point where it isn't. San Francisco had a nice culture of losing too, until one day when they didn't.

Is that really crazy??? Stats this year: Wilson: 1254 yds, 8 TD 4 INT

Tannehill: 1383 Yds, 6 TD 5 INT in one less game.

Tannehill may have more long term potential... I dunno, but its not a totally crazy notion.

I think it's nuts. For their careers, RT has 18 tds & 18 ints. Wilson has 34 tds to 14 ints. http://m.pfref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXWXXWilsRu00.htm

The Seahawks are not exactly loaded at wr either. It also doesn't include rushing where Wilson is far superior. I honestly think RT is closer to Weeden's level. He's just younger so he doesn't get as much hate.

I hate the pats* and jets infinitely more than dolphins. The dolphins are meh...

The bills and dolphins are not rivals anymore.

Another reason why the bills should be in the afc north. Those would be serious rivalries.

Right after they dominate the AFC east.

Baby steps.

But i agree to a point.

Who would you have replace the Bills in the division and whom would you subtract from the North?

Reading their board makes me realize something.

Bills v. Fish is no longer a major NFL rivalry. I have known that for years, but it really sucks. There is no hatred for us on their board. We are just another divisional opponent.

I will always hate the Fish more than any other team. That's part of the fun. Having a team to actually hate.

As a relatively old man who was able to go to all the Bills-Fish rivalry games "back in the day".......all it takes to stoke the rivalry again is for both teams to start winning.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Bellicheck-Brady-Satan soul deal to expire first, though.

New north:

Steelers

Browns

Bengals

Bills

New East:

Dolphins

Ravens

Jets

Pats*

Fair enough .

As a relatively old man who was able to go to all the Bills-Fish rivalry games "back in the day".......all it takes to stoke the rivalry again is for both teams to start winning.

I guess we'll have to wait for the Bellicheck-Brady-Satan soul deal to expire first, though.

any body got a timeline on the contract ?