Go for 2?

mannc

Anyone think Marrone should have gone for 2 after the Goodwin TD? I doubt any NFL coaches would have, but it's not a bad move if you think your chances of making the deuce are better than winning in OT. Not saying Marrone should have gone for it, but it would have been defensible, at least.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an advocate for that strategy at times, but I don't think I would have done it yesterday. The D had found its way by the 4th quarter and it was reasonable to expect that they could have won in OT. In fact they did get the stop in OT period, but the offense couldn't move and then ST gave up a big return.

I am an advocate for that strategy at times, but I don't think I would have done it yesterday. The D had found its way by the 4th quarter and it was reasonable to expect that they could have won in OT. In fact they did get the stop in OT period, but the offense couldn't move and then ST gave up a big return.

To be fair to the offense, they were pinned deep in their own territory/ The chance of them moving the sticks was pretty low.

I thought about too, could do a fake in that situation, Moorman is back. ;) But seriously, after not being able to score the TD and giving the ball up on downs, no.

I had not thought about a fake kick on the extra point. That might have been sweet. Doubt the Bengals would have been expecting it.

Anyone think Marrone should have gone for 2 after the Goodwin TD? I doubt any NFL coaches would have, but it's not a bad move if you think your chances of making the deuce are better than winning in OT. Not saying Marrone should have gone for it, but it would have been defensible, at least.

lose now or lose later

hmmmmmm

Normally I would say absolutely not. If I had known that Hackett would turtle if given anything less than ideal field position in OT I'd say yes. Your statistical chances of making it are probably higher than that no guts series in OT and you could always do an onside kick if you don' make it. The book says extend the game, but I guess I was hoping for more agrressive offense to follow in the OT vs the complete no balls playcalling I should have expected. I mean, playing for punting room is not advised in OT, yet he went against the book there. Screw it, why not.

Pretty sure Cinci was out of timeouts, so they would not have been able to change who was in. Like the chances of converting the deuce better than winning the coin flip. So yes, I was hoping we would go for two. Especially in hindsight.

Pretty sure Cinci was out of timeouts, so they would not have been able to change who was in. Like the chances of converting the deuce better than winning the coin flip. So yes, I was hoping we would go for two. Especially in hindsight.

The NFL conversion percentage of 2 pointers is 48% since they've adopted it in the big leagues.

I love how people say "absolutely not" without thinking. You are 7 point underdog at home and you have a QB in his 2nd nfl start. Your secondary is playing poorly and for the first time all year your kick coverage is looking weak.

When you flip a coin you have a 50% chance of winning the toss (unless you're the Saints, who have lost a remarkable 11 straight coin flips at the outset of their games)

I don't know what the new percentages are with the 2 year old rule that a field goal doesn't win it automatically, but it's safe to say that you have a greater chance of winning if you win the overtime toss. It used to be 60% of the teams in OT that win the coin toss win the game. It's lower with the rule change, say 52% of the teams that win the coin toss win the game.

With that in mind, you are looking at a virtual push here probability-wise. Flip a coin or go for 2. The same odds, it just depends on if you feel like extending the game, how are your injuries? weather? do you have a 2pt conversion play that you feel confident in based on the personnel they have and you have? Did you have a long week (we had a 10 day break) where maybe you were able to put in a special play for this situation? Does the other team have a time out for personnel change?

It's a great question for the logical thinker, and a long way from "absolutely not"......

In hindsight, we lost the game in OT, played poorly and never really had a chance. Maybe one play where we dictate the outcome of the game instead of them would have ended in a different result.