This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

I like how Doug seems to be accountable for overseeing all three phases. Not like chan just ignoring that theres a defense.

Well then he needs to do a lot of overseeing of the D and kicking teams this week.

I see a common theme on TBD to be busting on Hackett and the O. While his play calling is puzzling at times, we are putting up 20+ points week in and week out against sturdy Ds. We're not losing due to that side of the ball.

Coach Marrone needs to spend some quality time with the under performing units.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then he needs to do a lot of overseeing of the D and kicking teams this week.

I see a common theme on TBD to be busting on Hackett and the O. While his play calling is puzzling at times, we are putting up 20+ points week in and week out against sturdy Ds. We're not losing due to that side of the ball.

Coach Marrone needs to spend some quality time with the under performing units.

You got that right.

Punt return team has been just as bad as the punt team I feel.

I was almost certain with mckelvin back there now we would get a return, but he had no room. I'm not sure if it's crossman or if we just need some better depth players on special teams.

Marrone admitted they got caught in the wrong d on those long screens. It happens. I like how he will admit mistakes.

On an unrelated note, I like how Doug saves his time outs like his first communion money. Especially since this team seems to have a flare for last second drama.

Edited by BUNCH OF MULARKEY

At this point, over-all I'm happy with him, with one HUGE exception. I mentioned this in another thread, but there has been one colossal fail on this team this season, and it has cost us probably two games: Punt Coverage!--and the Kick off coverage has been poor as well, we just haven't given up a TD yet.

We've had some of the best special teams in the league over the past few years, and now we're near the bottom. The players are basically the same, so what's different? a new Coach whom is in over his head.

Marrone needs to handle this now! This is not a "wait until we evaluate things in the off-season" thing. Just like last week we corrected poor QB and Punter play, time to correct poor Special Team play.

Edited by CSBill

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The Detroit Lions parted ways with special teams coordinator Danny Crossman. He has already joined the Buffalo Bills in the same capacity, the Bills announced Monday.

The team announced Monday that Crossman would not return next season. Crossman's coaching was scrutinized after Detroit became the first team since at least 1940 to give up a kickoff and a punt return for touchdowns in consecutive games last season.

2 and 4 is 2 and 4.

A lot of it has to do with poor coaching.

How is this an improvement? I don't understand.

I fully understand your point and, bottom line, it's true. Ultimately, Marrone and Co. will be judged on their W-L record.

But not all 2-4 records are created equally. They've been competitive in every game so far. Not much to hang your hat on, but if they were getting blown out in their losses, I'd be less hopeful about the direction they're going in.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Not fair to judge wins and losses until after the season when you have new coaches and new qbs. I'm thinking if the team keeps playing like this, they have about 4 more wins in them. If they improve and get better, hopefully that gets them more wins. But right now they look like a 6-10 team that needs experience to get better.

I think Marrone is doing ok.

I give him a pass on the record because the Bills have been competitive in every game, with chances to win it. With rookie/practice squad quarterbacks and no-name wide receivers and defensive backs what more do you want? The Bills have a better record than other NFL teams with their healthier, better players on the field.

I think Marrone is doing ok.

I give him a pass on the record because the Bills have been competitive in every game, with chances to win it. With rookie/practice squad quarterbacks and no-name wide receivers and defensive backs what more do you want? The Bills have a better record than other NFL teams with their healthier, better players on the field.

He could be Kubiak in Houston...they have more talent across the board than Buffalo.

I still don't understand why he did not ice the kicker on the game winner. A 46 yarder is not a gimme and we could have forced the kicker to try it twice by calling the timeout at the time of the kick.

2 and 4 is 2 and 4.

A lot of it has to do with poor coaching.

How is this an improvement? I don't understand.

bah....It is more about lack of execution by these players.

I will question the decision of having Gilmore out there. Cincy identified that he couldn't tackle with that club on and ran two big WR screens to his side. If he's able to wrap up, those are completely different plays.

I guess a one-handed Glimore is better than any of the scrubs we have!!

Like any new coach and staff....let's wait 3 years to see where we're at....I like Doug Marrone and Mike Pettine, jury is still out on Hackett but today's play calling was "better" than it's been.....I like the moxy of Coach Marrone going for it at home early in the 2nd quarter...away, and in the second half, No...but I understood the call and more importantly the message: We will not settle for mediocrity, we need to get Touchdowns. At least that's what I heard....so far, there are signs of life, but again....let's see how this season bares out and let's see how next season unfolds before we're too quick to make any judgments, positive or negative.

I liked this hire when it happened, I love it now. Yes- we can nitpick a few things but this guy, as the CEO of the coaching staff, can definitely coach these guys up. All 4 home games have been down to the wire, exciting as hell....2 wins, 2 losses. The two road games have been winnable. There are rookies at key positions and some very iffy injury replacements in there. Just listening to him after today's game, he was not pleased with taking Cinci to OT...he gets it. Winning is all that matters, not good showings. I just think Marrone over 2-3 years is really going to get this thing rolling. The only things I can really criticize are having Tuel as backup QB, Not Thad...and going for it on 4th and goal today early. I was screaming to kick the FG.

Dude, if Lewis ends up being better than Tuel, then those are two HUGE F-ups. Not to mention the others he has had in the other games this season. I don't know if he is going to amount to anything yet or not, but he definitely needs to stop the brain-farts.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I dont understand the Hackett bashing. We started a practice squad QB today. Without our top wideout and CJ hurting we put 24 points on a very good defense that shut out Tom Brady a week ago. We had very little trouble moving the ball most of the game.

The offense was fantastic today and has been getting better and better today. If EJ had been healthy the whole game last week and this week we win. No doubt in my mind

I don't get the Hackett bashing all year long. He's playing a conservative game to try and ease the young QB(s) into the NFL game and is putting up around 22 points per game in doing so.

Pettine, however, gets a pass despite the fact that the defense ranks worse in the NFL both points and yards allowed. I swear people would rather lose aggressively than do well conservatively. And yeah, the D has had injuries but so has the O.

Rookie coaches and rookie QB's add up to lots of loseing and lots of learning on the fly but I like what I am seeing from both. We as fans just have to be willing to wait for the light bulb to come on and when it does I think it will be lots of fun to see.

I liked this hire when it happened, I love it now. Yes- we can nitpick a few things but this guy, as the CEO of the coaching staff, can definitely coach these guys up. All 4 home games have been down to the wire, exciting as hell....2 wins, 2 losses. The two road games have been winnable. There are rookies at key positions and some very iffy injury replacements in there. Just listening to him after today's game, he was not pleased with taking Cinci to OT...he gets it. Winning is all that matters, not good showings. I just think Marrone over 2-3 years is really going to get this thing rolling. The only things I can really criticize are having Tuel as backup QB, Not Thad...and going for it on 4th and goal today early. I was screaming to kick the FG.

I agree with you on Marrone, he has the potential to be a really good head coach. The special teams coach should be gone at the end of the season. He was a bum with Detroit and he's a bum now, just not a good ST coach and it's showing. Hackett is the one I am most worried about. I don't mind the decision to go for it on 4th and goal, but the play call was horrible, just horrible! And there are many other "well it worked at Syracuse" calls that are just head scratchers. I don't see them getting rid of Hackett, due to the relationship with Marrone. So let's hope he can improve on his play calling....

Edited by ricojes

With all of the change at OBD since last year, any analysis after six games is not unlike politics - you choose to see that which you want to see. One can easily nitpick any specific coaching decision, clock-management-wise or personnel-wise, to suppport your glass is half full or half empty argument.

In judging Marrone, wins are what will ultimately matter, but I am much more of the half-full mindset at this point. His young team showed guts coming back in the 4th quarter on a playoff team, and took them to OT. Other than a bad day in the Meadowlands, we have played very tough and we have certainly had more than our share of injuries to overcome.

The biggest change, from what I see, is that (as a team) we are no longer satisfied with any moral victories when digesting the sting of a defeat. That is a pretty big change from what we have watched here since Wade. No coach is perfect, but Marrone has espoused not confusing effort with results.

I like that Marrone is not too proud to act on what he sees on gamedays --- for example:

Colin Brown continues to struggle? Get Legursky going in there once healthy. Dan Carpenter looks clutch? IR the greenhorn, and keep our mullet-man in there & show confidence in him. Justin Rogers looks awful in coverage? Bench/deactivate him the first chance you get.

Tuel shows off a JV arm and looks like deer in the headlights as a #2? OK, we've seen enough of that, let's see what the practice guy can do. There was lots of bashing/demanding answers for Marrone's perceived lack of foresight at the QB spot before the game, not so much now. And we are also kicking the tires on Flynn (which must have been set up before yesterday's game based on his flight time into Buf) - so if he's a better option than Tuel, and how could he not be, I want him to be a Bill. Dennis Dixon will also certainly give our 1st team defense a better look than Tuel, so I'd predict it'll soon be adios for #7 if they sign Flynn.

I don't get the Hackett bashing all year long. He's playing a conservative game to try and ease the young QB(s) into the NFL game and is putting up around 22 points per game in doing so.

Pettine, however, gets a pass despite the fact that the defense ranks worse in the NFL both points and yards allowed. I swear people would rather lose aggressively than do well conservatively. And yeah, the D has had injuries but so has the O.

Hackett isn't easing anyone into the NFL, if so, that's a recipe for disaster. You can see the play calling for TL yesterday, it was pretty aggressive at times. EJ makes it look like they are "easing him in" because of all the checkdowns. It's really EJ that is playing conservative, not the game plan.

Pettine is running a defense that will work very well in the NFL if you have the players, especially strong corners. The Bills are weak at corner and I believe they will address it this off season. The Bengals killed the Bills on screen passes yesterday, that was their main weapon. You have to have corners that can defend a screen pass, they were getting blocked off the field by Cinci's WR's, that was embarrassing...

With all of the change at OBD since last year, any analysis after six games is not unlike politics - you choose to see that which you want to see. One can easily nitpick any specific coaching decision, clock-management-wise or personnel-wise, to suppport your glass is half full or half empty argument.

In judging Marrone, wins are what will ultimately matter, but I am much more of the half-full mindset at this point. His young team showed guts coming back in the 4th quarter on a playoff team, and took them to OT. Other than a bad day in the Meadowlands, we have played very tough and we have certainly had more than our share of injuries to overcome.

The biggest change, from what I see, is that (as a team) we are no longer satisfied with any moral victories when digesting the sting of a defeat. That is a pretty big change from what we have watched here since Wade. No coach is perfect, but Marrone has espoused not confusing effort with results.

I like that Marrone is not too proud to act on what he sees on gamedays --- for example:

Colin Brown continues to struggle? Get Legursky going in there once healthy. Dan Carpenter looks clutch? IR the greenhorn, and keep our mullet-man in there & show confidence in him. Justin Rogers looks awful in coverage? Bench/deactivate him the first chance you get.

Tuel shows off a JV arm and looks like deer in the headlights as a #2? OK, we've seen enough of that, let's see what the practice guy can do. There was lots of bashing/demanding answers for Marrone's perceived lack of foresight at the QB spot before the game, not so much now. And we are also kicking the tires on Flynn (which must have been set up before yesterday's game based on his flight time into Buf) - so if he's a better option than Tuel, and how could he not be, I want him to be a Bill. Dennis Dixon will also certainly give our 1st team defense a better look than Tuel, so I'd predict it'll soon be adios for #7 if they sign Flynn.

Well said...very well said.