This Marrone fella, he's gonna be a good one

zow2

Dick Jauron in 3 years didn't botch coaches challenges to the extent Doug Marrone has done in his first 6 games.

I bit of revisionist history here.

There were so many times that Jauron did not bother to challenge when he should have. He was lifeless and dull.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although there are some encouraging signs, it is too early for an informed opinion. The sign of a great coach is the ability to get the most out of the talent that he has to work with, having them on the field when they should be there and in the right position, and providing schemes and plays for them to be successful LIke him or not, Belichick is the master at this. We have also not seen enough game day coaching decisions in critical situations to render an informed opinion.

Nothing has changed with Marrone.

Injuries, no depth, poor coaches challenges, poor time management, losing close games.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Atleast while the constant Russ Brandon has been around

Totally agree. I questioned the Marrone hiring at the time and still do. How do you miss so badly on player evaluation at the most important position. The losing will continue with this regime as it has for the past 13 years. Sad.............but True!!!

Like any new coach and staff....let's wait 3 years to see where we're at....

Wait 3 years? Doesn't look like KC had to wait 3 years as they've gone from worse than us even last year at 2-14 to undefeated through 6 games. This is Jim Harbaugh's 3rd year as coach of 49ers and they've already been to 1 NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl. I'm not accepting mediocrity. Stop making excuses. Put up or shut up. A wise man once said, "Winning is not the most important thing, it's the only thing." (HINT: They named the Super Bowl trophy after him.) Playing close and losing at the end is nothing to feel good about. We could do that already before Coach Marrone came along.

Wait 3 years? Doesn't look like KC had to wait 3 years as they've gone from worse than us even last year at 2-14 to undefeated through 6 games. This is Jim Harbaugh's 3rd year as coach of 49ers and they've already been to 1 NFC Championship and 1 Super Bowl. I'm not accepting mediocrity. Stop making excuses. Put up or shut up. A wise man once said, "Winning is not the most important thing, it's the only thing." (HINT: They named the Super Bowl trophy after him.) Playing close and losing at the end is nothing to feel good about. We could do that already before Coach Marrone came along.

Both Harbaugh and Reid are coaching a former first OVERALL pick.

Tell me again about when either of those teams cut HALF of the week 17 players going into their first years.

OK, we suck. Should we shut up now?

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree. I questioned the Marrone hiring at the time and still do. How do you miss so badly on player evaluation at the most important position. The losing will continue with this regime as it has for the past 13 years. Sad.............but True!!!

So the Bills are doomed to losing because Jeff Tuel had to play a quarter-and-a-half?

Or is your assertion that they failed by drafting EJ?

Or are you jumping to conclusions without a salient point?

Listen to Marrone talk about the team: neither is he.

By the way, neither Jim Harbaugh or Andy Reid have won a Superbowl, and as you wisely pointed out, winning is the only thing. What's their excuse?

For me, I know that I believe that Buffalo's record would be a lot better if they played the same schedule as KC. Please note the record of Buffalo's opponents thus far:

NE 5-1

Carolina 2-3

NYJ 3-3

Bal 3-3

Cle 3-2

Cin 4-2

That's a combined 20-14 that includes matchups against 3 playoff teams from 2012.

Contrast that with KC's opponents:

Jax 0-6

Dal 3-3

Phi 3-3

NYG 0-6

Ten 3-3

Oak 2-4

Combined record: 11-25, without a winning team or 2014 playoff team among them.

It's not as cut-and-dry as you think.

^Regarding the Chiefs' easy schedule, I think it's definitely got something to do with their 6-0 record. They are obviously a good team - Jamaal Charles is ridiculous and that defense is for real - but I can see them also being like a better version of last year's Cardinals. We can beat them. They will still be a playoff contender, but they will not be a super bowl contender.

^Regarding the Chiefs' easy schedule, I think it's definitely got something to do with their 6-0 record. They are obviously a good team - Jamaal Charles is ridiculous and that defense is for real - but I can see them also being like a better version of last year's Cardinals. We can beat them. They will still be a playoff contender, but they will not be a super bowl contender.

Agreed. The Chiefs had 216 yards of offense yesterday, at home, vs. Oakland. They are good but not undefeated good. They will lose some games soon and coming to RWS to play a Bills team quite possibly on a 3-game losing streak will be like walking into the proverbial Hornet's nest.

I dont look at Morrone in any way shape or form the same way as any of our past retread coaches

Be careful how you spell Marrone, or some of the 'half-empties' on here might accuse you of making their point for them based on your spelling error ... in much the way that this Dan Carpenter-esque Cards fan did.

post-11357-0-01278300-1381776676_thumb.jpg

Agreed. The Chiefs had 216 yards of offense yesterday, at home, vs. Oakland. They are good but not undefeated good. They will lose some games soon and coming to RWS to play a Bills team quite possibly on a 3-game losing streak will be like walking into the proverbial Hornet's nest.

Valid points; I think they remind me more of last year's Colts: a team on the rise playing a horrid array of teams.

Valid points; I think they remind me more of last year's Colts: a team on the rise playing a horrid array of teams.

So far I haven't seen the Chiefs do anything in the way of clutch/come-from-behind victories. Last year's Colts team started up and down, but they had that wild win over Green Bay and it was all uphill from there. I would like to see what this Chiefs squad can do when they get behind.

a. Because Morrone is a rookie HC who can actually improve

b. Becasue you get no sense that Morrone thinks everything is fine......you know he doesnt think his LG position is ok.....he gets rid of players that dont perform.......they are constantly bringing in guys and working them out.........

c. Because Morrone is playing with a bit of a stacked deck and still keeping them competitive.....injuries have hurt us bad yet we are right there at the end of games with some pretty darn good teams AND we beat last years super bowl winner

I dont look at Morrone in any way shape or form the same way as any of our past retread coaches

Yeah. They might call him Moron errr Morrone.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Don't forget the hurry up in the 4th with a lead in the opener.

I agree with you 100% here. This was a big mistake and I had worries this would be a very consistent problem.. And I say this not in hindsight but I was furious when it was happening. I'm still concerned with his clock management. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that I have seen the some coaching philosophy changes. They haven't run the extreme hurry up in some situations; smart. It shows me they are willing to change when they have made a mistake.

I have an overall positive view of Coach Marrone at this point. However, only time will tell. He may make outrageously stupid decisions over then nexts week and I will then lose hope. However, his whole body of work thus far I would say is pretty good considering all circumstances. I'm really hoping we got a good one!

Go Bills!

So the Bills are doomed to losing because Jeff Tuel had to play a quarter-and-a-half?

Or is your assertion that they failed by drafting EJ?

Or are you jumping to conclusions without a salient point?

Listen to Marrone talk about the team: neither is he.

By the way, neither Jim Harbaugh or Andy Reid have won a Superbowl, and as you wisely pointed out, winning is the only thing. What's their excuse?

For me, I know that I believe that Buffalo's record would be a lot better if they played the same schedule as KC. Please note the record of Buffalo's opponents thus far:

NE 5-1

Carolina 2-3

NYJ 3-3

Bal 3-3

Cle 3-2

Cin 4-2

That's a combined 20-14 that includes matchups against 3 playoff teams from 2012.

Contrast that with KC's opponents:

Jax 0-6

Dal 3-3

Phi 3-3

NYG 0-6

Ten 3-3

Oak 2-4

Combined record: 11-25, without a winning team or 2014 playoff team among them.

It's not as cut-and-dry as you think.

Man did they ever luck out playing the NFC East this year... The NFC East combined record thus far 7-16

Marrone's fate is tied to EJ

Coaches live and die with the QB's they choose to lead their squads. It doesnt really matter if hes a nice guy or smart with X and O's. He will be fired from his job at some point (whether its 10-15+ years down the line I cant say) and it will all be tied to his QB.

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Marrone's fate is tied to EJ

Coaches live and die with the QB's they choose to lead their squads. It doesnt really matter if hes a nice guy or smart with X and O's. He will be fired from his job at some point (whether its 10-15+ years down the line I cant say) and it will all be tied to his QB.

That is fine... I think overall it tends to work better when everyone comes in at the same time. They are more committed to their guy, the guy fits the system, etc. You see situations like the Jets where thye got of the GM and the new one drfts a QB, but they kept the coach and the old QB who were kind of married to each other, soap opera ensues prior to Sanchez injury. Same thing in Tampa. You even have seen the issues with the Redskins and Shanahan/RG3. Also, you saw it in SF when Harbaugh ultimately felt more comfortable going with the guy he drafted even though Smith was not doing bad last year. If you are going to draft a franchise QB, the old one better be gone (good move letting Fitz walk) and bring in a new staff who has a role in drafting their QB. Colts did the same - cleaned house from the top the year they took Luck. Edited by YoloInTheBlo