What Are the Missing Pieces?

thecoz77

Elite TE that creates matchup problems, another good LB, big athletic elite WR. We just don't have enough elite guys on the field at any one time. Also we need EJ to pan out, obviously.

Yup on all counts. Esp at TE. Need a game breaker there badly.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Kyle Williams a lot, but the Bills need an upgrade there. Kyle should be used as a rotational player, not a starter. Khalil Mack would be ideal! I'll even take Bo Oliver as a backup RB. Can Alex Neutz be that big, playmaking receiver we desperately need?

Dream big but I've heard through the grapevine Neutz is leaning away from the pro game. He's pretty bright and with the couple of concussions he's had he might decide to leave the game while his brain still has the ability to make him money in the long term

A Marshawn Lynch type RB.....think Seattle would send him our way for a 4th? kidding!!!

OC

Healthy EJ gaining confidence on the deep ball

TE or large bodied WR

LG

Not that far away kids....this team is gaining experience in a lot of close games with good teams. So many elements are in place. Play calling today was as much as a factor in the loss as some of the execution. Hackett makes me angrier than any player on this team. I liked some of the shake-n-bake from Thad....he looked more mobile than EJ threw a nice long ball but had no feel in the pocket. Too many sacks.

Our D turned NASTY during the comeback..was indicative of what they could be if they are properly motivated...so sorry it took having their noses rubbed in tiger poo on a 4th and 15 to wake up. Our DTs stuffed the run and Dalton could not find an open receiver. We looked top class during that stretch.

Byrd: welcome back....i'll give you one game to get your game speed back....I will be expecting bigger things from a top paid Safety.

Another bitter pill Bills faithful......I believe very strongly....we are not that far away.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Pieces: an injury free team, CB depth, DT that can penetrate and disrupt, a true #1 WR, OG, and better right side gunner on punt coverage. Twice the right side gunner did not contain the return man and it lead to big returns. The Bills are not that far off. They show promise for the future with the young talent infusion.

I could go on, but good teams and organizations find a way to win. Nothing will change in Buffalo until Brandon and Litman, Ralph's long-time puppets, are gone. Stop making excuses for the mediocre Marrone.

Buddy said it would take 3-4 years to rebuild. So we're in year 1 of the second rebuild in 4 seasons. We just have to be patient. ;)

Ownership.

This times 1,000.

Pieces,

p - poise (on 3rd down offense & defense)

i - I-formation (more smash mouth)

e - efficiency (take the points in red zone)

c - close out, (gotta close games out)

e - effort, (need more hustle plays)

s - special teams, (cover a damn punt!)

See, I'm more apt to agree with something like this than "A left guard, a tall receiver, and a wide body in the middle". It's not just a puzzle of players. It's as much psychological as anything else.

Aside from the obvious things already mentioned in this thread, we just seem to lack guys that can make clutch plays in big moments. The Hogan drop in OT on 3rd down is a perfect example. Gotta have that catch there. It's not a perfect throw, but at that point in the game the catch needs to be made.

On the other side of the ball you have Dane Razzenbacher (whatever his last name is) making a one handed catch on a long conversion to keep alive a drive.

Oh and a coach who trusts his receivers to come up with the ball. Watched Brees throw into double coverage on a 3rd and 20 with the game on the line and let his WR make the play to grab the lead with time dwindling in the game.

From what I see, I think one of our biggest problems has been the predictable and questionable play calling of Nate Hackett. He needs to mix up his packages. How many times are you going to run the ball on 1 and 2nd down? I understand if it is working for you but when the defense catches on and starts to slow you down you need to at least attempt to throw the ball on 1st or 2nd down to throw the defense off, even if it's just a little. Ive seen way to many drives where he calls 3 run plays in a row??? Who does that in this league? Some people on this forum have bashed Boomer Esiason's announcing today but I think he was spot on when discussing the Bills play calling. Soooo correctable though, thats whats killing me about this team this year.

Also early on it was massive penalties that crushed us, we seemed to have improved there. Injuries haven't helped. Some clock mis management. Defense blowing 3rd and long just absolutely pisses me off week in and week out. Our OC is the biggest problem though. Good news is I feel like he is improving. He is dealing with a new job and a constant flux of personnel due to injury. He is so close... he just needs to mix it up. Football is about having a balanced attack not a predictable one. Overall I feel we are headed in the right direction. GO BILLS!!!

This team clearly has some good traits. When you look at the 4 losses we have, 2 could have easily gone our way, and the Cleveland game is going to be a question mark due to the injury to EJ and the horrid play of Tuel. With all of that being said, it seems we are missing one or two pieces that make this team 4-2 right now. What are those pieces? I cannot pinpoint it myself.

We are improving and the coaching staff, like most of the players, is learning as they go.

I think out top needs are:

- Cornerback

- A big strong end (TE or WR) that wins the battles for the ball - A difference maker type of player

- Linebackers - other than Kiko I am not impressed. Lawson is a good situational player. Moats and Brandon are poor.

- Left Guard

- Depth everywhere - I do not like our ST coverage at all, two weeks in a row we get burned by punt returns.

This all assumes there is a QB of the future on the roster.

I think a year of experience from our QB and a top-10 TE, and this team is well on its way.

The other upgrades, I think you can take your pick.

LG, one of the OLB spots, DL depth, another CB, any of these could be useful additions.

I might say offensive coordinator, then duck. The guy clearly has some good ideas, but then he doesn't use them as much as he needs to.