What Are the Missing Pieces?

thecoz77

I don't think this team is far away. As far as positions go, we need (IMHO):

1) WR - in the big body mold. Having a guy that the QB can trust to put the ball up and they can win one on one battles is a huge security blanket!

2) TE - same reason as WR.

3) LB - we've improved here, but could use some depth.

4) CB - DEPTH!

5) OL - DEPTH and maybe a replacement for our LG.

As far as intangibles, I think the bills need a couple things:

1) Time and experience

2) Understanding what it takes to win close games

3) Whatever characteristic it is that guys on good teams have when they simply make plays in big spots. From tough catches, to turnover, to breaking tackles.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what we need in order with #1 being a top most priority for the Draft.

#1) Eric Ebron*, TE, North Carolina

Height: 6-4. Weight: 245.

Projected 40 Time: 4.65.

Projected Round (2014): 1.

11/2/13: Ebron has been phenomenal in 2013. He has produced long touchdowns and has killed teams down the middle of the field. Ebron is very fast with mismatch speed to get open. The junior has 35 receptions for 599 yards and three touchdowns thus far in 2013. His blocking is much improved. Full write up here (I really think the NE will be drafting a TE this year and we should do everything necessary to make sure we get the best one in the draft so NE doesn't)

#2 Corner

Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

Height: 6-0. Weight: 181.

Projected 40 Time: 4.48.

Projected Round (2014): 1-2.

10/12/13: Colvin has 15 tackles to this point in 2013. He also caused an interception against Notre Dame with a deflected pass.Full write up He is ranked by Walter as the 5th ranked corner in the draft and should be available in the second.

#3 G

Tre Jackson*, G, Florida State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 327.

Projected 40 Time: 5.33.

Projected Round (2014): 2-3.

10/12/13: Jackson has played well for the Seminoles, although Pittsburgh defensive tackle Aaron Donald had some success with Florida State's interior linemen. Overall, Jackson has done a good job of protecting Jameis Winston. Full write up

Top Priority for Free Agency

#1 Cover LB to Help Kiko in the middle.

#2 Middle linemen - need depth

#3 Big Fat DT who can clog the middle.

I like. I really think the Bills are getting close. I might swap G for CB, but I think those are going to be the areas where the Bills really need an upgrade and can't realistically find an affordable fix in free agency. Chandler definitely has lost a step coming back from his injury, and that's not even counting the drops....

I like. I really think the Bills are getting close. I might swap G for CB, but I think those are going to be the areas where the Bills really need an upgrade and can't realistically find an affordable fix in free agency. Chandler definitely has lost a step coming back from his injury, and that's not even counting the drops....

I agree that G and CB are about equal in need but I'm of the mind that you don't draft a G before the 3rd round (OT - Hell yeah in the first and second but a G?) I almost think a 3rd round draft choice is too high for G but we really need one so buy early.

I think to take the next step the Bills need a stud WR and TE...I think what they have in house are great complimentary parts...And Stevie would be the biggest beneficiary if they can get a big time WR and TE in here... I like the idea of going TE/WR in the first two Rounds this coming year...The Free Agent crop at WR and TE in 2014 is less than impressive with Hakeem Nicks and Brandon Pettigrew the biggest names available (I'm assuming New Orleans resigns Jimmy Graham)...So it looks like the Draft is the more likely route...

Right now The Bills would pick around 8th and 40th...Though I expect it ends up being around 12th and 44th...TE is a tough position in the Draft nowadays...It used to be that TE's would slide, but now they are being pushed up a bit...Mike Evans won't be the fastest WR in the 2014 Draft, but I absolutely love him for The Bills need at WR...And I literally drool at the possibility of seeing Eric Ebron in Buffalo...So I think The Bills can really help themselves at WR or TE in this coming Draft

I do think The Bills have needs at CB, LG, RT, and LB as well...And of course Safety will be a concern if Byrd is gone...But I think all those needs fall behind the impact a top TE or WR will make on this team as it is now... B-)

There are still quite a few missing pieces. But another good draft and some development by our younger players would really be huge for this team. These are what I see as the biggest problem areas:

Quarterback:

This has been the biggest hole for the last decade. Through 6 games, we still aren't getting a consistent, high level of play out of our QB. Hopefully, Manuel becomes that guy soon. At this point, it's way too early to tell. He's shown some good signs, but also some troubling ones. If he develops into a top guy, this team becomes a playoff contender instantly. If he bombs though, the rest of the team really doesn't matter.

Offensive Play-Calling:

Hackett has gotten a lot of criticism so far, and for good reason. Regardless of the talent level and inexperience he's working with, his play calling has been predictable and unimaginative. The complete opposite of Pettine.

Cornerbacks;

Assuming Manuel is our long-term guy, CB is easily our biggest weak spot. Every team should have 5-6 capable corners. We have 2-3, when everyone is healthy.

Pass Rush:

I really like the guys on our defensive line, but they are just too inconsistent. They were nowhere to be found yesterday. They were nowhere to be found against the Jets. We could really use another strong pass rusher on the edge.

Play Maker in the Passing Game:

We have a couple great route runners (Stevie and Woods). We have deep speed (Goodwin and Graham). We have good pass catching backs and a tall red-zone threat (Chandler). What I don't see is great YAC ability. I like the idea of adding an explosive tight end -- somebody like Chandler, but with moves and speed to do something after getting the ball.

Offensive Line:

This group was SOOOOO close to being set. Then we let Levitre walk. Left guard is a big problem area. Pears has been inconsistent (it would have been nice to see what Hairston could do this year).

Linebacker:

Alonso has been great in the middle. Lawson has been very good on the outside. We could still use an upgrade over Moats/Bradham.

good post as I agree with quite a bit.

I would put it in this order of priority.

How will anyone ever know if EJ is the man if he isn't properly protected and given time in the pocket to make throws?

The O line. If Andy Levitre was adequately replaced other then LG Colin Brown, then the Bills would have done a far better job of protecting EJ, Lewis the first half of the season (26 sacks). These are all young QB's (EJ, Lewis, Tuel) that need the very best protection they can get. That said, LG, RT, and better depth. Right now the Bills depth is right off the waiver wire.

Above all a competent TE that can catch and won't fall down when he sees a tackler. A play maker at TE would be such a huge asset to these young QB's.

Better OLBers would solve the problem of extra pass rushers and stopping the run.

----------------------------------------

Last but not least. The Play calling. Nathaniel Hackett stated he would run Spiller until he threw up. Well, he should have in the game against the Chiefs, and instead trusted in a kid at QB that shouldn't even be starting. Shades of Chan Gailey lurking around this week.

Who made the call on LG Colin Brown? Because whomever that was doesn't know much about who qualifies as a starting NFL O linemen. Marrone / Hackett?

Who made the call on not having a decent backup QB on the roster? Because I look at the Bears losing Jay Cutler and the back up QB Josh McCown winning games. I look at the Eagles losing Mike Vick and the backup QB Nick Foles winning games.

Hackett is going to get Marrone fired, If he does i certainly hope DC Mike Pettine gets the HCing job

Offensive Coordinator - Hackett hasn't proven himself to be incompetant at all yet.

Defensive Lineman - Last spot that we need to upgrade in, our defensive line is very good.

Offensive lineman - Agreed, we need an upgrade at guard and some depth. Solid at 4 starting positions, though.

Linebackers - Maybe one more outside linebacker. I like Alonso and Lawson a lot and Bradham can play, but we can do better.

Cornerback - Eh, I don't know. When Gilmore is healthy, he is a top-5 CB in this league. McKelvin and Robey have also shown well.

Wide Receiver - Naw. I like the foundation of SJ, Woods and Goodwin. Maybe one more to replace TJ, but that's splitting hairs.

Tight end - Yes, this is easily our biggest need on offense. Chandler is done. Give me Jace Amaro.

That about sums it up

In my eyes, this team is a guard, tight end and linebacker away from being very, very good. As long as EJ develops.

Edited by Lt. Dan's Revenge

This team needs a QB (can't say if EJ is our guy yet because he is not on the field). I'm not talking about a superstar top 5 QB like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, just a guy that's slightly above average who doesn't turn the ball over. If we had a guy like Alex Smith, we would be 6-3 right now (maybe even 7-2) and poised for an exciting playoff run down the stretch. The general suckiness of our QBs over the last decade and the QB injuries this year have been maddening,

LG, swing guard, RT (Pears is 32), swing tackle, CB2, FS, and a 2013 version if a TE. I like Chandler. He'd be an excellent TE2 and red zone target. But I want a Graham/Gronk/Cameron/Davis/Thomas/Gonzalez split the seam of the D TE that the Bills have never had

I thought Hairston was a serviceable RT but unfortunately he's still out at St. John Fisher circling the track.

Offensive Coordinator

Really? Ranked middle of the pack after 9 games, four of which were played with backup QBs.

good post as I agree with quite a bit.

I would put it in this order of priority.

How will anyone ever know if EJ is the man if he isn't properly protected and given time in the pocket to make throws?

The O line. If Andy Levitre was adequately replaced other then LG Colin Brown, then the Bills would have done a far better job of protecting EJ, Lewis the first half of the season (26 sacks). These are all young QB's (EJ, Lewis, Tuel) that need the very best protection they can get. That said, LG, RT, and better depth. Right now the Bills depth is right off the waiver wire.

Above all a competent TE that can catch and won't fall down when he sees a tackler. A play maker at TE would be such a huge asset to these young QB's.

Better OLBers would solve the problem of extra pass rushers and stopping the run.

----------------------------------------

Last but not least. The Play calling. Nathaniel Hackett stated he would run Spiller until he threw up. Well, he should have in the game against the Chiefs, and instead trusted in a kid at QB that shouldn't even be starting. Shades of Chan Gailey lurking around this week.

Who made the call on LG Colin Brown? Because whomever that was doesn't know much about who qualifies as a starting NFL O linemen. Marrone / Hackett?

Who made the call on not having a decent backup QB on the roster? Because I look at the Bears losing Jay Cutler and the back up QB Josh McCown winning games. I look at the Eagles losing Mike Vick and the backup QB Nick Foles winning games.

Hackett is going to get Marrone fired, If he does i certainly hope DC Mike Pettine gets the HCing job

I think this OL has played very well, especially after Legursky has replaced Brown. Chandler had a bad game. He usually has sure hands and is a threat in the middle of the field. He has been constantly moving the chains. We need better play from SJ.

I think this OL has played very well, especially after Legursky has replaced Brown. Chandler had a bad game. He usually has sure hands and is a threat in the middle of the field. He has been constantly moving the chains. We need better play from SJ.

Perhaps you missed the Jets & New Orleans games, and Bills QB's running for their lives. Legursky did make a huge difference at LG, but that line is still very suspect in my view. Believe it or not one of Jeff Tuel's strong points is he has a very quick release. Tuel reminds me of Fitz with his quick release, limited arm, and accuracy issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like Scott Chandler. Its just that Chandler is currently 68th in yards. 32 receptions, 54 targets, 367 yards 2 TD's after 9 games is rather pedestrian in my view. It might be that the Bills are keeping him in to block rather then sending him out to catch.

Anyway, who are better? Miami Charles Clay, Chicago Martellus Bennett, St Louis Jared Cook, Washington Jordan Reed, Carolina Greg Olsen. Denver Julius Thomas, Atlanta Tony Gonzalaz. Dallas Jason Witten, San Fran Vernon Davis, San Diego Antonio Gates, Cleveland Jordan Cameron, New Orleans Jimmy Graham. New England Rob Gronkowski who was injured is possibly the best TE in the NFL

Perhaps you missed the Jets & New Orleans games, and Bills QB's running for their lives. Legursky did make a huge difference at LG, but that line is still very suspect in my view. Believe it or not one of Jeff Tuel's strong points is he has a very quick release. Tuel reminds me of Fitz with his quick release, limited arm, and accuracy issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like Scott Chandler. Its just that Chandler is currently 68th in yards. 32 receptions, 54 targets, 367 yards 2 TD's after 9 games is rather pedestrian in my view. It might be that the Bills are keeping him in to block rather then sending him out to catch.

Anyway, who are better? Miami Charles Clay, Chicago Martellus Bennett, St Louis Jared Cook, Washington Jordan Reed, Carolina Greg Olsen. Denver Julius Thomas, Atlanta Tony Gonzalaz. Dallas Jason Witten, San Fran Vernon Davis, San Diego Antonio Gates, Cleveland Jordan Cameron, New Orleans Jimmy Graham. New England Rob Gronkowski who was injured is possibly the best TE in the NFL

From your list the only guys who are having an outstanding season are Graham, Thomas, Cameron. Reed has had a couple of breakout games. The rest have stats closer to Chandler. As far as Graham and Thomas, they have QBs in the Top three in the league.

BTW, Graham is the best TE in the NFL.

Needs a lot of depth, younger guys need more experience, need a guard, better gameplan on offense, and some good luck and good health.

Agree with everything except game plan. As a OC your handcuffed when you dont have a Qb. Put any Qb in the upper half of the league on this team and we are lighting it up. Just ny 2 cents.

I believe the Saints blitzed 3-4 guys and unfortunately our RBs did a lousy job and the QB couldn't get the ball off to his hot read (Plus the dropsies). As someone pointed out in another thread, the OL is doing just fine.

The O line w Legursky is adequate. But Pears at rt tackle is the weak link... I would upgrade there, give Pears some real competition, and bring in another interior guy to challenge Legursky and Urbik.. And that would also provide some much needed depth at both guard and tackle. The days of the Sam Young dumpster diving festivals for talented O lineman need to finally end. Not every big man stalking this earth can play O line in the NFL. We need another stud LB who can move to complement Kiko and Lawson. (Bradham sitll has no clue where to go, and plays stiff. And Moats is a step slow and can only play the run...They will never be starting material) We also need another playmaking corner. We are barely getting by w Gilmore, Mckelvin, Robey-who I love in the slot and Brooks. No, Gilmore is NOT on his way to stardom.. He played scared w no confidence against Bowe. He should have been benched.

But the biggest deficiency which I have said numerous times is that we need a big WR and a big time TE. This is a PASSING LEAGUE!!! To compete you need big receivers who can move. Lets get a BIG stud wideout and TE next season in the draft and/or free agency and combine w Woods, Stevie and Goodwin. Maybe even a second receiving TE as well (there is no law about having more than one who can catch and run) because it is painful to watch Chandler and his lack of athleticsm, and a second solid big receiver, and this team will be MUCH stronger w EJ or Thad at the helm..