Conspiracy Theorists

Ok, i will admit i try to read into things at times. I will make connections between one situation and another.

My one to think about is Jadeveon Clowney. His injury is one like the PF that Byrd has. Basically you have to wait till the player says he is good to go.

Here is where my conspiracy comes in, what IF Parker turns out to be Clowney's agent?? Coincidence??

Speculation is that Clowney is just trying to get through the season healthy so he can turn pro and make money. And yes he was teammates with Marcus Lattimore so he has seen first hand how an injury can change everything. If Clowney does not play another down but goes to the combine and kills it he will be a top 3 pick. Heck he may be already even if he passes on the combine. I respect Clowney's choice if he is sitting. This also fuels more fire to the pay college athletes discussion. South Carolina raised ticket prices on average of $6 a seat this year. Some say it was large in part due to Clowney.

What you guys think? Is my tinfoil helmet on to tight??

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Ok, i will admit i try to read into things at times. I will make connections between one situation and another.

My one to think about is Jadeveon Clowney. His injury is one like the PF that Byrd has. Basically you have to wait till the player says he is good to go.

Here is where my conspiracy comes in, what IF Parker turns out to be Clowney's agent?? Coincidence??

Speculation is that Clowney is just trying to get through the season healthy so he can turn pro and make money. And yes he was teammates with Marcus Lattimore so he has seen first hand how an injury can change everything. If Clowney does not play another down but goes to the combine and kills it he will be a top 3 pick. Heck he may be already even if he passes on the combine. I respect Clowney's choice if he is sitting. This also fuels more fire to the pay college athletes discussion. South Carolina raised ticket prices on average of $6 a seat this year. Some say it was large in part due to Clowney.

I'm not seeing any tinfoil at all. I think its reasonable. Although, I have to imagine that Clowney would have been better served getting insurance and playing. He could fall out of the top 3 even if he kills the combine. Some teams may question whether he will pull this same move on them. I would hesitate to draft him after this. I want players like Wood, Williams (both of them), that want to play.

I'm not seeing any tinfoil at all. I think its reasonable. Although, I have to imagine that Clowney would have been better served getting insurance and playing. He could fall out of the top 3 even if he kills the combine. Some teams may question whether he will pull this same move on them. I would hesitate to draft him after this. I want players like Wood, Williams (both of them), that want to play.

insurance is only good for if he never plays again - which is an incredibly rare type of injury. if he simply broke his leg and fell to the third round i do not believe it does anything for him.

insurance is only good for if he never plays again - which is an incredibly rare type of injury. if he simply broke his leg and fell to the third round i do not believe it does anything for him.

You are correct that the NCAA provided insurance is only for total loss. But, you can get other insurance that covers a significant drop in your draft status (apparently even if you drop out of the top 15). Interestingly, Clowney has $5 mill of coverage, but no indication of how far he would have to drop, or if he got that sort of insurance to collect.

See

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9614189/usc-trojans-marqise-lee-picks-10m-insurance-policy-source-says

You are correct that the NCAA provided insurance is only for total loss. But, you can get other insurance that covers a significant drop in your draft status (apparently even if you drop out of the top 15). Interestingly, Clowney has $5 mill of coverage, but no indication of how far he would have to drop, or if he got that sort of insurance to collect.

See

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9614189/usc-trojans-marqise-lee-picks-10m-insurance-policy-source-says

i hadnt seen that additional bit - appreciated.

With the rookie pay scale, I doubt that he is doing this on purpose

I would understand if it was like before and he could get a huge contract with $40 million guaranteed

One thing I dont get is how do these players pay for this coverage? The article said it costs $8-$10K per every million so how do these players afford payment since they are not making money?

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

Nothing is impossible, i have to admit i think alot like you, i just wish i didn't because all it does is give me a headache..

I would understand if it was like before and he could get a huge contract with $40 million guaranteed

One thing I dont get is how do these players pay for this coverage? The article said it costs $8-$10K per every million so how do these players afford payment since they are not making money?

CBF

You bring up a good point in how do they pay for it. Maybe they have an Aunt or Uncle who could take out a loan for it or who knows how the payment is structured for the policy premium.

The rookie scale has helped a lot but i still think there is a big difference between getting top 3 money and going in the 3rd round or worse.

Thanks for the info on insurance. I knew they had policies out there but had not seen the total loss clause. I also did not realize they had a drop in draft status plan now too. God Bless Insurance Co. If you can think of it and pay for it they will write a plan.

CBF

Top 5 selections are gettting between 16 and 23 million, which isn't a bad take if you ask me. The teams do usually try to have some offset language, but the rookie contracts are pretty much guaranteed under the new bargaining agreement.

Edited by H2o

If this guy is really doing this to avoid injury, I don't care how good he is. I would avoid him like the plague. This me first attitude will only become amplified once in the NFL. He's the type that would hold-out for top defender money after 3 years of his rookie contract.

See

We'll there's you real conpiracy theory. Maybe he's got insurance that will pay him millions if he gets injured and doesn't go in the top ten. So he feigns PF aka Byrd syndrome, collects on the insurance, still gets drafted in the 1st, has a monster rookie season, and renegotiates a monster deal after year 2.