Did the Bills make a gaffe choosing Manuel over Smith?

The Falcons could neither rush the passer nor cover on 3rd down. Props to Morninweg/Geno for taking advantage of the defenseive issues, just as they did at times against Buffalo. You still have to give credit to Geno for playing well when the defense was giving him a lot, but way too early to compare these 2 QBs in how they will be long term. I have never liked Geno going back to his college days - he can put up huge numbers against bad defenses and look horrible against good ones (like last week, and I don't really consider Tennessee to be awesome defensively). I do give him credit for leading his team to the winning FG on MNF on the road - no matter what defense you are facing that is a tough task. But aty least at this point, what I have seen from bioth QBs EJ was the best choice.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous? Really? So far this season we've seen Geno engineer to game winning drives. Also in head to head matchup, he totally outplayed EJ. Seems to me that Geno is progressing much faster than EJ.

Yeah, really! Put Geno on this team and we're 0-5. Conversely, EJ in NY and they're likely 5-0 and in 1st place all alone in the division. Agreed that he outplayed EJ heads up; however, you can put an * next to that given that Rogers had an absolute meltdown. If I remember corectly, his stats when he threw away from rogers were like 7-20 for 50 yrds and a pick.

EJ's happy feet and rushed throws are coachable and will improve with time and confidence, when and if Hackett shows some trust to let the kid go out there and play. Unfortunately, we won't be able to see that this year. In Geno's case, you can't coach stupid and Geno isn't the brightest bulb now, is he? Last night, Morningwheg (sp) showed how to call a game for a rookie against a bad secondary that sat in a soft zone all game...big whoop!

If I end up being wrong on this, fine...i'll gladly eat my words.

One more thing - there were times last year when people questioned whether RG3 should have been taken 1st instead of Luck because he looked amazing and Luck looked - just good. Now Luck has a year under his belt and is freaking unreal, and RG3 has regressed. Then there is Wilson, who flies under the radar but perfect fior that team and may win a SB with them. It is not just about the QB himself, it is about the team around them and whether they are the best fit for the players, coaching staff, etc. I can certainyl see why folks look at Geno and think they want him. We are staring at a trio of practice squad QBs for the next few weeks. But I wouldn't let it cloud your vision of EJ as a franchise QB for the Bills.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

All this sudden love of Geno Smith because he played one good game is hilarious. He was second in the NFL in turnovers going into last night's game with 11. He looked good against a very weak Atlanta defense. Some of the worst tackling I have ever seen. To top it off, Atlanta may well have won had their idiot coach not blown the end of half sequence. Like all rookies at the position his game will be up and down. It certainly helps that his team has a great defense. Despite the talking heads on ESPN praising him like he is the second coming, its only one game. I am still confident the Bills made the right choice, but we will certainly not know the final answer after 5 games, or 16.

Where was this last week when he had 4 turnovers?

Indeed.

Look, folks, we drafted who we drafted. We can't turn back the clock. Geno had a good game this week. Geno had a bad game last week.

To the OP, are you planning to start an equal and opposite # of threads "Glad we didn't draft Geno" every time he has a bad game?

We pulled the trigger and drafted who we thought was the best guy. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. If he isn't, we need to have no fear and pull the trigger again.

If he is, time is the only thing that will reveal it, not a handful of games in the first season.

Myself, I wish we drafted a guy who knew how to slide and was willing to do it.

You really want to play the "shoulda drafted" game? I can go all the way back to Carl Pickens in 1991 if you want to and it's not a satisfying exercise.

You really want to play the "shoulda drafted" game? I can go all the way back to Carl Pickens in 1991 if you want to and it's not a satisfying exercise.

This.

I am so glad the internet didn't exist (or barely existed) for the Kelly years.

Lol he has a very good game last night, where was this when he looked atrocious against Tennessee last week...

Also only Ryan Leaf and Peyton Manning had more turnovers with 12 in his first four games than Smith did with 11...

Yeah, really! Put Geno on this team and we're 0-5. Conversely, EJ in NY and they're likely 5-0 and in 1st place all alone in the division. Agreed that he outplayed EJ heads up; however, you can put an * next to that given that Rogers had an absolute meltdown. If I remember corectly, his stats when he threw away from rogers were like 7-20 for 50 yrds and a pick.

EJ's happy feet and rushed throws are coachable and will improve with time and confidence, when and if Hackett shows some trust to let the kid go out there and play. Unfortunately, we won't be able to see that this year. In Geno's case, you can't coach stupid and Geno isn't the brightest bulb now, is he? Last night, Morningwheg (sp) showed how to call a game for a rookie against a bad secondary that sat in a soft zone all game...big whoop!

If I end up being wrong on this, fine...i'll gladly eat my words.

You might be right. In the patriots game, Gino had numerous chances to win that game but threw 3 horrible picks. EJ wins that game.

One aspect of the Jets and Bills that is totally different. Rex has been the HC of the Jets for a while now and is fighting to keep his job. The play calling on both sides of the ball reflects this fact. Thus, a lot more is being put on Geno's plate as a result from week to week. The kid has obviously stepped up. The Bills on the other hand have a HC that is not going anywhere any time soon, and as a result, appears content to focus on establishing the overall identity of the team with an eye for next year. That identity is to be a physical, uptempo, downhill running team that can stop the run. Much more has been put upon Geno in the play calling than Manuel at this point, leading to more of a feast or famine situation for Geno. These QBs are 2 different fish in entirely different fish bowls. I'll wait to pass judgement on who is better.

And the jets also have a better overall team.

Reality.

wilkerson looks like a pro bowler dominating performance from him last night. jets defense brings the pain for sure.

Geno does some things well as does EJ. Can't say the bills made a gaffe yet I think Geno's 8 Int's vs EJ's 3 is a problem.

No. Not even worth discussing, EJ has made enough of an impression on me to believe that in 3 years, he will have had far more success than Smith. You can't judge a player by one game, and I still don't think Smith looks that great in this game. Let me see what EJ can do against a crappy defense, and then make the comparison.