Ryan Fitzpatrick to start

Buffalos#1Fan

Joe Montana didn't have a cannon for an arm either, which is why he lasted until the third round. I'll grant that Fitz's arm is probably even weaker than Montana's. But the main thing which separates those two QBs is accuracy. Montana threw beautiful passes which would hit the receiver in perfect stride. Fitz, not so much so. Fitz's decision-making was good. But his lack of accuracy prevented him from becoming a top-15 QB.

a Montana comparison...........................................................Fitz decision making was marginal at best. Some guys with weak/inaccurate arms like him became winners--ie. Joe Kapp. Fitz had some good qualities--wasnt a wimp--was gutsy,was tough and a decent runner.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be right, I dunno, his WR corps in Buffalo after SJ was a bunch of scrubs, and even SJ had significant drops. Was it Fitz or his receivers? Look at that game in which SJ basically spoke out about TJ Graham running the wrong route that caused an INT and then even questioned the coaching (Gailey) as to why Graham was even the primary target, as he had never run that route in practice. :doh:

My take on Fitz and his accuracy issues is that the man never had a HC / OC / QB coach before last years QB coach David Lee (his words)work with him on his footwork or mechanics. (so Gailey did nothing to improve Fitz) Kinda why I think Fitz regressed a bit in 2012 is that he was always thinking instead of playing by instinct.

What made Fitz decent in the first place was his ability to survive in even the most harsh conditions. In 2010 the Buffalo Bills O line was so bad that Fitz was literally running for his life those first few games. I can recall that week four Jet game in which Fitz (7-74)was the leading rusher over Jackson (3-21)-Spiller (2-11)-Lynch(4-8) because he was under so much constant duress. Fitz ended that year with a yard per carry average the same as Michael Vick at 6.0, which is pretty darn good for a supposed pocket QB.

The first 5 of games of the 2010 season saw Cornell Green at RT, Demetress Bell at LT, Levitre at LG, Wood at RG, Geoff Hangartner at center. So both tackles were like turnstiles. RT Green had hit the proverbial wall before the season even started, and no coaches even noticed until week four or so. This is a sore subject with me because I saw it in week one, and was complaining about it in this forum to mostly deaf ears. Green was then quietly benched for some mysterious injury and then released after week five. Mansfield Wrotto took his place at RT.

Gailey and his coaches didn't see how bad Green was in that first game? This is also the same HC who named Spiller the starter that opening game only to bench him after five plays when he saw he couldn't block in protections, couldn't find a hole, couldn't run a pass route properly.

Last years Bills coaching staff, to put it bluntly, sucked! This new staff has already proven to be much better, and with a rookie at QB at that.

Fitz was never noted for accuracy. Not in Cincinnati. Not when he was Trent Edwards' backup. And not when he became the starter.

People remember what should have been the game-winning TD pass that Stevie dropped. But they forget the two other passes at the end of the game, both of which Fitz misfired on. Had either of those pass attempts been completed, it would have gone for a game-winning TD.

Fitz had a reasonably good #1 WR in Stevie, a typically reliable pass catching TE in Chandler; and had Spiller and Jackson catching passes out of the backfield. That's a decent set of options, though the Bills were weak at #2 and #3 WR.

Last season, the Bills' OL was pretty good in pass protection; at least when healthy. Left to right, we had Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Urbik, and Hairston.

Was Fitz the only problem on offense? Absolutely not. But if you look only at the accuracy of his throws, there was much that was wanting. Which is why no one signed him to be a starter after his release. Gailey did his best to tailor the offense to Fitz's strengths and weaknesses. The offense required the QB to make quick, good decisions (something Fitz was good at). The throws themselves were typically short, easy-to-make throws which didn't require the QB to hit his target in perfect stride. (Thereby helping mask Fitz's lack of accuracy.)

Five straight 3 and outs for the Titans. Zero first downs. I'm rooting for Fitz to do well, but nothing so far.

I will be honest...I'm not rooting for him. He helped set this franchise back 3 years. Seeing him fail in a new environment will affirm what I thought all along.

I will be honest...I'm not rooting for him. He helped set this franchise back 3 years. Seeing him fail in a new environment will affirm what I thought all along.

Fitz wasn't the GM. It wasn't his job to evaluate himself, or determine whether he could or couldn't be the long-term answer at QB. That was Nix's job. Nix could have drafted players like Locker, but chose not to.