If EJ is out at least 5-8 Weeks, do we draft a QB in the 1st?

Virgil

Well that closes it I have nothing to say. We will just wait for years till our QB can throw a pass. Not 3 feet out of bounds.

Absolutely! Because there is nothing in between ditching a first round pick after 5 games and staying with a guy for years. Its one or the other.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they can get one of the top QBs then go for it. EJ is not a guaranteed success, and look at the situation they're in now. Washington is an example of what can happen to a read option QB. If they end up with two quality QBs, then one is trade bait. Otherwise they'll need to pick a CB.

For those of you saying you wouldn't do it, are you saying it because:

-his injuries are a fluke and you feel safe with him staying

-you've seen enough to know he's our

-we couldn't get someone better in next year's

-Tuel is good enough to be our backup and win games if

Or is it just because you don't believe in taking a qb two years in a row with first round picks?

I wish I could say yes to the above with 100% certainty with the games we will see him play in, but I just don't know yet

it's because front offices have a plan. they grow through the draft, and it takes years to do so.

there plan was to take EJ this year with their first pick. once they do so, they have to give him the opportunity to become the bills future qb.

it takes more than a year to gauge that.

the next year they need to continue to add playmakers at all positions. using 1st and 2nd round picks are prime spots to do so.

repeating a first round pick with another qb doesn't make sense, when the qb you have has shown that he has what it takes at an early stage to be the guy you've been looking for.

there are no guarantees. not ej, not teddy bridgewater, not rglll...none.

but in order to find out if someone is a dud, you need to give them time.

plenty of HOF qbs have had rough starts to their career, and i'm talking losing records and stats that aren't that great. they grew into champions. that's what we need to allow ej to do.

Edited by dezertbill

Nope......EJ is moneybags mcgee

Funny that the "haters" are brewing already.

Disagree x a million with Jim in anchorage among others here.

Guess we forgot how SJ drop cost EJ a win in his FIRST GAME EVA. Yea EVA vs Tom Brady.

Get the starting secondary back and EJ takes this team to playoffs. (But some don't like that ? )

I know I know the college qb from the next draft is always better....that angle is played out.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

At least half of 1st round QBs don't become franchise QBs. I like EJ. I like his attitude. I like his potential. But he hasn't proven yet that he will be our franchise QB for the next 8+ years.

So if a hot QB prospect is available when we're picking, I say take him. But, like others, I don't think Doug will.

Most definitely!!! Love what EJ has the potential to offer, but there are no guarantees!! Also, 2 knee injuries with only 5 games played. QB QB QB!! That's what this league is about! As a previous post has mentioned, let the best QB win, then trade the other.

I have been unimpressed with EJ; yea, I get it. He's a rookie with a rookie coaching staff, etc. This is a QB driven league. In my opinion if an elite QB prospect is available in the first you select him because QB takes precedence over every other position on the team. Through 5 games there has not been a single moment where I thought of EJ as a franchise QB, and I liked the pick, for the record.

I wouldn't consider it an option. The Bills are never going to develop a QB if they give up after 5 games. It usually takes 2-3 years before you start seeing a significant return on your investment. Speaking for myself, he's playing in line with my expectations for a rookie QB at this point, maybe even a bit better.

That said, I would not be opposed to the Bills drafting a QB in the mid rounds to act both as a long term backup and also as an insurance policy in case EJ fails to develop.

what? EJ gets injured and we should draft a QB in the first round? This makes no sense.

I have no understand as to the though process some of you have. We need to surround EJ with talent not bring in another guy to complete.

The front office needed to have a capable veteran backup and it failed at that. Now we have to find one on the fly. That's it.

I would feel safer if EJ would wear knee braces and run less. RG3 and Hoyer are just the start

i think he just has to learn to run smarter. know when and how to slide, use the sideline as your friend, and cover up the ball. for as calm and in control as he is in the pocket, he looks a bit reckless when he is running. eliminate unnecessary and awkward hits and i think he'll be just fine.

No on 1st round. We pick up Freeman for depth and give him decent money for a back up. (4 mil.). We go with a lock down CB in the first which is a need. The reasoning is we can still fix the Byrd situation, and Pettine's defense to be really a top 5 needs two excellent CBs.

I'd love in 2nd and 3rd we grab a guard and athletic TE. Pick up a QB in the 4th for development and drop Tuel.

For th e record this is the last time I want to talk about the draft in October.

In this league - especially since EJ is a QB who will run - there's probably a certain advantage to having two quality QB's. I'd be all for drafting a QB in RD 1 of next year's draft if the kid was a slam dunk franchise QB sitting there for us to take. We'd have two Franchise caliber QB's to duke it out and we'd have that security. However, if one such QB was sitting there for us to take, I think it more likely that the GM and coaches would trade that pick/QB to a QB needy team for a bunch of draft picks, which they'd likely believe - and maybe rightfully so - that they could use to cement the roster and make a Championship run. Either would be a good situation for Buffalo to be in, although they'd have to be picking high again for that to probably happen. As of yet I am not sold on EJ. I think he's better than what we've had for a long time - since Kelly - but is he good enough? I can't tell if my issues are with him or with the OC, and I can't tell yet if he'll outgrow those things that I am frustrated by. I will say, though, that we'd have won all of our games so far if he'd of played at a higher level, just as he could have lost all of them for us; so, the rest of the roster isn't far off.

I'm still not sold on EJ. I like his composure and leadership, however his play has not made me say at any point, "Wow finally here's our guy!".

The biggest problem for the bills since the last time we had success was the QB position. I think If you have a shot at a quality player you take it. For instance san diego when they had brees / rivers. Until EJ shows me a "WOW" performance, which he has yet to do, I say you keep trying because the nfl is a QB driven league.

I think whats more insane is going 15 years without a franchise QB.

So you want to make the same mistake Sand Diego did?

I wouldn't consider it an option. The Bills are never going to develop a QB if they give up after 5 games. It usually takes 2-3 years before you start seeing a significant return on your investment. Speaking for myself, he's playing in line with my expectations for a rookie QB at this point, maybe even a bit better.

That said, I would not be opposed to the Bills drafting a QB in the mid rounds to act both as a long term backup and also as an insurance policy in case EJ fails to develop.

I'd go with this but picking the Russel Wilson pick next year (in the 3rd, don't wait til the 4th) and the person that talked about how long it takes a QB to develop that was the past, the game is different now. Competition is good, trade bait is good. In today's NFL, you want 2 Pass rushers, a MLB, a shut down corner, WRs (or TEs), LTs, Center and QBs high in the draft others can come after. You have to consider the draft year as well, EJ was over drafted...yada yada yada.

BTW, I do think it is too early to tell much. But as has been said over and over next year's draft is like last years. If there is a QB you like, take him but not 1st or second.

I don't see the Bills winning any games until EJ comes back. With the number of top 10 worthy QB's in this draft, the chance to take one of them could be there. A lot of St Louis fans wish the Rams had taken RG3 to replace Bradford.

But I think the Rams made the right choice then and the Bills should make the same if the situation comes up. What if the new guy fails to live up to the expectations? No, build around EJ.

Care to go further? Or this that it?

No, not really. I think it's best to just shake my head and walk away. A little too much melodrama for me.

If they can somehow get Bridgewater, you have to take him. Same for Manziel if he sufficiently cleans up his act. Beyond that, I really doubt Whaley and crew will be brave and take another QB early.

As for me, I'd always be taking QBs until I had a legitimate top-class one that's capable of winning a championship. Manuel certainly isn't there yet and we're probably not seeing any meaningful improvement this year now. And let's be honest, he's unlikely to reach that level with his flaws. If there's a QB I like at all in any round, I take him, no questions asked.