The kicking game: Powell/Carpenter

YoloinOhio

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wally Pip was the Yankee lst baseman who was injured and never made it back to play lst base again for the Yanks because his replacement was someone named Lou Gehrig, so it is just not true that you never lose your job because of injury.

Today, it was Punt coverage team that sucked.

Powell hurt us in a couple of ways, although he does have a great booming kick he also tends to linedrive some (the TD return, in particular was down the field way too quick and off to the right? sideline, which I guess may have been planned but is part of why the play blew up in our faces, unless I am wrong but it looked that way in replays) and he shanks at the worst times as mentioned above. I kind of liked his camp competition, another subpar game and I would be looking at a replacement.

STs in general really had a bad bad day and coupled with injuries cost us the game.

Right now we have the "clutch" version of Carpenter, not the shaky version who was let go by Miami. Looks like the Hopkins era will have to wait a while....until Mr. Carpenter turns shaky again.

I supported Powell through some tough games last year but i'm souring on him. The guy has a huge leg, but is not mechanically sound as an NFL punter needs to be.

Powell has had a shank or two, but other than that he's been VERY solid this season. Audition punters? Yeah, no.

This. The Powell hatred is really getting old. I guess people are still heartbroken over 'team MVP Brian Moorman' :rolleyes: .

Powell has been absolutely fine this season. Obviously he was told to not punt it to the return guy on the 3d one last night and hence the 29 yarder out of bounds.

This. The Powell hatred is really getting old. I guess people are still heartbroken over 'team MVP Brian Moorman' :rolleyes: .

Powell has been absolutely fine this season. Obviously he was told to not punt it to the return guy on the 3d one last night and hence the 29 yarder out of bounds.

Have to disagree. Line drive punts, at least one shank a game, when they need him most, he drops one 31 yards out of bounds or boots a touchback.

Did anyone notice the off-target long snaps?

Also, there was one punt where Powell shifted over ~2 feet to his left prior to the snap. I don't know if he has been lining up off-center and just realized it, or if there was some sort of shift based on how the defense was lined up to rush.

For all you guys complementing Powell's average - his NET avg (which is the important stat) is 35.2. That's good for 32nd in the league. He's had 35 punts and only 5 fair catches. He's had more punts returned than all but one punter and leads the league in touchbacks. His average per return is good for 4th worst in the league. All that and the stat everybody is complementing him on - average - is good for only 15th in the league. To be fair he has more punts than anybody in the league but even accounting for that his numbers are horrible.

Compare that to someone like Lanning (Cleveland's punter) who averages 2 yards less per kick but has a net that is 4 yards better, has over twice as many fair catches and just 2 touchbacks. He also allows 6 yards less per return. It's called HANG TIME.

Kicking it long and low and allowing returns over and over again might look good on your avg but it kills a team.

I guess you'll defend anything in a Bills Uni. This guy sucked! He could kick, but punting in the NFL was another matter. Rock head. Him, not you.