(OT) A head's up for some of you

Simon

great post KO.

Adding to that. Some people just need to understand that their opinions are just opinions (I'm guilty of this). Regardless how passionate you may be about a topic, certain player, coach, staff member, FO, owner, fan, there will always be someone somewhere that is just as passionate in the opposite way. It's one of the things that makes this site great. The arguments, points being made, and generalization as to why you opinion should be the right one. But at the same time the banter and personal attacks (also guilty) need to take a back seat.

In the end, just rember that every time you think you can't possibly be wrong, someone else is thinking the same exact thing. A little bit of respect goes a long way. Respect for others opinions, respect for their knowledge of the game, respect for the posters history. All things should be considered.

Agreed...I think maturity has something to do with that as well...At least in my personal case it did....When I was younger I was more willing to be aggressive with my opinions around here...I got worked up with a few individuals...And I had a few tussles along the way...Looking back on it I'm not proud of it for sure...Now I at least try to NOT make it personal, and even throw the poster I'm responding to a "no offense," or "I hear what you're saying...but..." It goes a long way...At least I hope it does...I respect all Bills Fans (well most anyway)...We've been through a lot together...We're a tough breed...Respect is an important part of this deal if you ask me...Of course no one did... ;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed...I think maturity has something to do with that as well...At least in my personal case it did....When I was younger I was more willing to be aggressive with my opinions around here...I got worked up with a few individuals...And I had a few tussles along the way...Looking back on it I'm not proud of it for sure...Now I at least try to NOT make it personal, and even throw the poster I'm responding to a "no offense," or "I hear what you're saying...but..." It goes a long way...At least I hope it does...I respect all Bills Fans (well most anyway)...We've been through a lot together...We're a tough breed...Respect is an important part of this deal if you ask me...Of course no one did... ;)

i have also changed over the years and become more mature. Probably more well spoken too.

I believe that those sort of respectful additions often do go a long way to keep conversations civil.....and is very good advice to be giving in regards to what should be standard forum etiquette.

I try and throw in an "IMO" or an "I believe" where appropriate as well. An example would be....

"EJ is going to be a great QB." or "I believe EJ is going to be a great QB."

These two statement types are seemingly the same but IMO will usually elicit very different reactions from other posters.

I believe that those sort of respectful additions often do go a long way to keep conversations civil.....and is very good advice to be giving in regards to what should be standard forum etiquette.

I try and throw in an "IMO" or an "I believe" where appropriate as well. An example would be....

"EJ is going to be a great QB." or "I believe EJ is going to be a great QB."

These two statement types are seemingly the same but IMO will usually elicit very different reactions from other posters.

I've tried to make this point to a multitude of folks, some get it, some don't. The key, IMO :D , is to understand that you have a right to your opinion in the same way as the person you're conversing with does. If you're trying to change someone's opinion...stop...because it isn't going to happen. State your belief and move on. I rarely post more than one or two comments in any football thread; state your case and move along. We can argue all day, but, in the end, we'll both be where we were to begin with. Keep it civil...this goes both ways. Attacks against someone you feel is overly pessimistic aren't OK. Attacks against someone you feel is overly optimistic aren't OK. Our wise leader has, in the TOS, invoked the golden rule & all would be well served to keep this in mind (Tom notwithstanding).

I've tried to make this point to a multitude of folks, some get it, some don't. The key, IMO :D , is to understand that you have a right to your opinion in the same way as the person you're conversing with does. If you're trying to change someone's opinion...stop...because it isn't going to happen. State your belief and move on. I rarely post more than one or two comments in any football thread; state your case and move along. We can argue all day, but, in the end, we'll both be where we were to begin with. Keep it civil...this goes both ways. Attacks against someone you feel is overly pessimistic aren't OK. Attacks against someone you feel is overly optimistic aren't OK. Our wise leader has, in the TOS, invoked the golden rule & all would be well served to keep this in mind (Tom notwithstanding).

What is TOS?

this---^

I find myself heading to OTW more and more. Between the Simpsons game thread, GTA5, whatever show is in season and of course all the "would ya" threads. I really get quite a bit there.

The "Stevie isn't a true #1", "Manuel isn't our guy", "Byrd is a weenie" threads are getting really old. Unfortunately I feel like I've got stock in some of those threads so I feel compelled and obligated to continue my arguments but in the end, if I think Stevie is good and someone else doesn't think he is, the argument should stop there. Most of the time your not going to change someone's opinion of a player or topic anyway.

Between the end of the game yesterday and midnight, I counted 34 new threads. Lots of the same old stuff. I really think the solution lies in a crackdown on low-quality threads, especially the ones created by obvious trolls. Those threads are what keep me (happily) in OTW and the Shoutbox on most days.

Is it possible to remove ONLY thread creation abilities? I don't think it needs to necessarily be based on the overall number of posts. There are high-quality threads that have originated by users with less than 300 posts ... albeit, not many.

I think it's pretty simple to identify the users who come here simply to be disruptive. Just silence them. If they don't get it, ban them. I can probably find 10 users whose permanent absence would serve as an immediate board enhancement.

If someone chimes in simply to say how terrible this place is, ban them. You'd be doing them a favor as much as the rest of us.

I'm just glad to see those posters have finally gotten the attention of the mods and cleanup seems imminent.

Peace.

Would it be worthwhile to limit posters with less then 500 posts from starting more then 1 thread a day? Look at half of these post game threads regurging the same thing over and over by folks with next to no posts.

You'll wind up with a bunch of other garbage posts by doing that though. People will pad post with more nonsense just to get to whatever cutoff is set.

You'll wind up with a bunch of other garbage posts by doing that though. People will pad post with more nonsense just to get to whatever cutoff is set.

then instead of a number cutoff how about a status cutoff. Like the rookie, all pro, hall of famer statuses that we have for everyone? Maybe when someone reaches a certain status, the board/mods can vote on a new posters status and decide if that person should be allowed to make their own posts.

Although the thread generating by some are definitely issues, they aren't the only issue. Posters adding their opinions to topics already started can be brutal as well.

Simon and other Mods - I can appreciate your attempt to crack down on personal attacks, name calling and useless commentary when some of us find a thread is either repetitive or serves no other purpose than to call attention to the poster. I know when I first became a member I was accused of being a troll and called an idiot. I was even nominated as "Worst Post of the Year" one time (I wear that as a badge of honor by the way). But being criticized and called an "idiot" is something many of us encounter daily (not only on this board but in our professional lives). More often than not, if these members met me in real life they would understand that I kid around too much; unfortunately, kidding around or busting chops on the internet (a message board) is difficult and can be interpreted as a personal attack. Do I have thick skin - yes. Do some members take name calling and criticism personal? Indeed. I would only hope that those members who feel slighted or offended by some good natured ribbing don't get too upset or dwell on some funny responses that many members contribute to a thread on a daily basis. I bit my tongue yesterday in the Game Day Thread and chose not to contribute at all to the "Trade Stevie" thread. Some posts and threads are created for the sole purpose of "hearing myself talk (or type as Beerball would tell me :D )....I'm guilty of it and so are countless members who want to give an opinion even though we are weekend football warriors. If a newbie makes a goofy comment or creates a nonsensical thread, I have literally laughed out loud at some of the comments of eBall, SJBF, Meatloaf, Gugny, Jauronimo, Tasker, Saint, KD in CT, K-9, and even Beer, Jack and Chandler. It really is all in good fun but I will try to temper my smart a$$ comments in light of this announcement. I apologize if my comments have offended anyone in the past and wish to tell those of you who have criticized me in the past that I am still here and enjoy the banter and laughs. Sorry for the rant. GO BILLS!!!!!!!! ps- Do you think we can trade for Peyton Hillis??

Simon and other Mods - I can appreciate your attempt to crack down on personal attacks, name calling and useless commentary when some of us find a thread is either repetitive or serves no other purpose than to call attention to the poster. I know when I first became a member I was accused of being a troll and called an idiot. I was even nominated as "Worst Post of the Year" one time (I wear that as a badge of honor by the way). But being criticized and called an "idiot" is something many of us encounter daily (not only on this board but in our professional lives). More often than not, if these members met me in real life they would understand that I kid around too much; unfortunately, kidding around or busting chops on the internet (a message board) is difficult and can be interpreted as a personal attack. Do I have thick skin - yes. Do some members take name calling and criticism personal? Indeed. I would only hope that those members who feel slighted or offended by some good natured ribbing don't get too upset or dwell on some funny responses that many members contribute to a thread on a daily basis. I bit my tongue yesterday in the Game Day Thread and chose not to contribute at all to the "Trade Stevie" thread. Some posts and threads are created for the sole purpose of "hearing myself talk (or type as Beerball would tell me :D )....I'm guilty of it and so are countless members who want to give an opinion even though we are weekend football warriors. If a newbie makes a goofy comment or creates a nonsensical thread, I have literally laughed out loud at some of the comments of eBall, SJBF, Meatloaf, Gugny, Jauronimo, Tasker, Saint, KD in CT, K-9, and even Beer, Jack and Chandler. It really is all in good fun but I will try to temper my smart a$$ comments in light of this announcement. I apologize if my comments have offended anyone in the past and wish to tell those of you who have criticized me in the past that I am still here and enjoy the banter and laughs. Sorry for the rant. GO BILLS!!!!!!!! ps- Do you think we can trade for Peyton Hillis??

you can easily reach the return button with your right pinky ;-)

you can easily reach the return button with your right pinky ;-)

It's weird but the "Reply Box" on my computer doesn't allow me to hit return to create a paragraph...I know some other members were having a problem with this and I am one of them. Maybe I should try using my middle finger?? :nana: