[closed]Is it time to scrap the no-huddle/uptempo offense?

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O can't make 3rd downs, and D can't get off the field on 3rd downs .... a deadly combination no matter what offense you're running

So I wonder, if slowing the offense down and making sure everyone is on the same page (unlike what happened in the 4th quarter against the Jets) might be a big help to them, and would also help the defense get a little more break, and can't hurt them.

Seems like an easy decision to me.

The no huddle only works if you have a talented accurate qb something that we don't have. Marone is one step closer to being fired every time he runs it. I for one will be cheering loud and clear when they fun this dork and his band of merry men out of town!

O can't make 3rd downs, and D can't get off the field on 3rd downs .... a deadly combination no matter what offense you're running

So I wonder, if slowing the offense down and making sure everyone is on the same page (unlike what happened in the 4th quarter against the Jets) might be a big help to them, and would also help the defense get a little more break, and can't hurt them.

Seems like an easy decision to me.

I agree. I don't think the Bills should scrap the no huddle/up-tempo offense all together, just use it sparingly throughout the game until the offense can execute it better. Once the offense starts executing it better, then Hackett should start using it more then.

This. The no-huddle is certainly a viable weapon, but it needs to be used smartly. It shouldn't be a blanket philosophy that we run 100% of the time, regardless of the game circumstances. As has been said ad nauseum on the board, when we can't sustain drives the no-huddle does not achieve its intended goal of wearing down the D. Let the offense huddle, get their bearings, and sustain some drives. Rely on the D seize the momentum with big plays, stops, and turnovers. Then, hit em with the fast paced no-huddle.

Exactly. I think Hackett is in WAY over his head, and we will be looking for a new OC next season. And the inability to play Easly and/or Hogan instead of TJ is beyond comprehension.

If it were a case of the tempo, I'd be more apt to think about scrapping it. But as others have said, it's not a tempo issue, it's an execution issue. There are several reasons for that, but tempo is the least of it.

GO BILLS!!!

It looks bad because Hackett is too conservative.

Open up the play calling and try different things before I say we need to scrap it.

One play that I that think would have success and should be a semi-regular part of the offense is the flea flicker. With our very good RBs and the opposing LBs crashing down on handoffs to CJ or Freddie, having them flip the ball back to EJ should open the middle of the field tremendously.

I also think the EJ needs to have about 6 planned runs/draws a game.

Finally, I think the no huddle should slow down a bit to give the offensive line some time to recover. This might be a reason why our running game is suffering so much. Cordy Glenn is a big man, let him catch his breath.

Seems like the general tenor of articles written about EJ about his college career indicate that he wants to stay in the pocket and throw the ball, not run it. I wonder if his temperment is getting in the way of him being a read-option quarterback, and whether he can adapt to that. I'm also not generally in favor of running QBs in the NFL, since that seems like a good way to shorten careers with leg injuries and repeated concussions. Is it worth mastering the read-option offense, or should the Bills be developing him in a different style of offense?

The no-huddle uptempo offense Turk Schonert tried implementing with Trent Edwards years ago failed miserably and that got scrapped at the end of the preseason that year as Schonert & Walker were canned 10 days before the season opener. If Hackett, Manuel and the offense can't get their version of it working, are they going to continue with it for the whole season, even if it means putting more pressure on an already beat up defense?

For the love of god yes! We have a rookie QB not tom brady, slow it down for him...

Good god...

Last weeks offensive performance was by far the most irritating thing i have every watched...

Please read this article before starting any more silly scrap the up tempo offense threads. http://www.buffaloru...thaniel-hackett It is not the offense or play calling that is to blame. It is poor execution.

of course its poor execution....which is why it should be scrapped or changed at least from majority to when it makes sense. If you can't execute it, slow it down! If its poor execution is has to either be the offense or the play calling or the players.... they seem to think they have the right players since this staff put the team together so if the players can't execute it then the offense and/or play calling is the issue. Heck if its a normal pace offense and it doesn;t work its the execution. What the hell kind of argument is that anyway?

3rd or 4th and criticals should huddle up, take a breath, take a look, talk it over. They hit a big play go no huddle maybe. But my biggest issue with it is that the Defense is on the field too much due to the poor execution

Not time to scrap it yet, but I'd be more than a little wary of it if it doesn't start showing some success in the next few games. The fact is that the present condition of our defensive backfield might warrant some adjustment. If our defense is as ugly (because of injuries) as it seems at the moment, an offensive strategy that keeps the offense on the field and the defense off sounds like a good plan for the time being. Unless of course we have AN OFFENSE that is sacrosanct in all circumstances and damn the torpedoes full steam ahead.

Three games. 3. That's a 3. THREE. New system with a rookie QB. 3. That is all.

Dude ... you expect logic to sink in to these Kook Aides ???

what would they be like if they were a fan of the 0-3 Skins, or the 0-3 Giants, or the 0-3 Stillers, or the 1-2 Packers, or the 1-2 49ers, or the 1-2 Falcons??

I should put that as my sig I've posted it so much!