[closed]Is it time to scrap the no-huddle/uptempo offense?

Jerry Jabber

The no-huddle uptempo offense Turk Schonert tried implementing with Trent Edwards years ago failed miserably and that got scrapped at the end of the preseason that year as Schonert & Walker were canned 10 days before the season opener. If Hackett, Manuel and the offense can't get their version of it working, are they going to continue with it for the whole season, even if it means putting more pressure on an already beat up defense?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

The best this team has moved was in the no huddle.

Problem is you got to get that first first down on a drive. that is what really makes the no huddle. The Bills struggled mightly at this in NY. Lets hope they can get it going this week against the Ravens. EJ appears to be a 'rhythm' QB. He needs a certain tempo right now in his career to help him get into a level of comfort. Rex knew this and did everything to keep EJ out of sync. And Hackett did very little and the oline contributed as well to the dis jointed performance we witnessed.

It looks bad because Hackett is too conservative.

Open up the play calling and try different things before I say we need to scrap it.

Good points. Another thought would be changing from no-huddle 100% of the time, to huddling at times periodically throughout the game.

Also, when is Hackett going to try getting Easley and Hogan involved more? So far, Graham has been relatively invisible on the field.

The no-huddle uptempo offense Turk Schonert tried implementing with Trent Edwards years ago failed miserably and that got scrapped at the end of the preseason that year as Schonert & Walker were canned 10 days before the season opener. If Hackett, Manuel and the offense can't get their version of it working, are they going to continue with it for the whole season, even if it means putting more pressure on an already beat up defense?

the answer is yes. The bills never should have even started this idiotic concept in the first place

Good points. Another thought would be changing from no-huddle 100% of the time, to huddling at times periodically throughout the game.

Also, when is Hackett going to try getting Easley and Hogan involved more? So far, Graham has been relatively invisible on the field.

This. The no-huddle is certainly a viable weapon, but it needs to be used smartly. It shouldn't be a blanket philosophy that we run 100% of the time, regardless of the game circumstances. As has been said ad nauseum on the board, when we can't sustain drives the no-huddle does not achieve its intended goal of wearing down the D. Let the offense huddle, get their bearings, and sustain some drives. Rely on the D seize the momentum with big plays, stops, and turnovers. Then, hit em with the fast paced no-huddle.

no, it's time to start executing the no huddle offense. if the offense can move at a rapid pace while stacking up first downs and ripping up chunks of yards, good things will come. a 3 and out is a 3 and out no matter what. a few sustained drives in the hurry up mode will wear down a defense.

I don't think it needs to be, or should be, an either or.

Our offense stinks. It's not because of the uptempo. At least I think it's not. But if given the option between the no-huddle conservative unimaginative crap we currently have displayed and a smart, exciting offense with huddling, I obviously choose the latter.

I would love to see some of Gailey's plays/schemes considered along with the uptempo. Diversity is what I'm looking for. What he did within Fitz' 15 yard vertical window by exploiting mismatches, maximizing horizontal space, causing confusion, and quick throws was outstanding. That, along with some read option, or whatever is the best scheme for the opponent at the time, would be what this fan would want to see -- not 100 percent this or 100 percent that. That being said, I think there are times we run a fast paced the entire game, as long as we can execute, because it does wear teams down and improve the chances for defensive miscues.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

EJ appears to be a 'rhythm' QB. He needs a certain tempo right now in his career to help him get into a level of comfort. Rex knew this and did everything to keep EJ out of sync.

+1. When EJ's 1st read is there he releases it quickly and usually makes a good throw. If the 1st read is covered...this is where I get concerned. At least as seen against the Jets. The kid really looked lost when read 1 was not there and Rex...to his credit had a lot to do with that.

Maybe just maybe this Jets game gives the whole shootin match from top to bottom a wake up call and our guys come back swingin hard against the Ravens. A big win against Baltimore would cure us...for now anyway! LOL ! So many injuries though. Damnit man.

the answer is yes. The bills never should have even started this idiotic concept in the first place

I think you will be corrected sooner rather than later. At the least, to call the uptempo offense strategy -- which the Pats and Saints run -- an "idiotic concept" is rather silly.

If I am wrong by Week 8, I'll admit it.

It is going to take Manuel a while to get good at reading defenses. For now, he just seems to fall back on checkdowns, or the sideline pass. In some ways, he will gain experience quicker, by running more plays. I think he would benefit from more time at the line, but maybe this crash course will move him along more quickly. They aren't going to win a lot of games, either way.

This is a year of "seasoning", and gaining experience.

I think you will be corrected sooner rather than later. At the least, to call the uptempo offense strategy -- which the Pats and Saints run -- an "idiotic concept" is rather silly.

If I am wrong by Week 8, I'll admit it.

what is the common theme the saints and new England have that we don't running the offence? two experienced offensive coordinators and two hall of fame quarterbacks... we have a rookie quarterback and a first year coordinator who has never done it before at a professional level

what is the common theme the saints and new England have that we don't running the offence? two experienced offensive coordinators and two hall of fame quarterbacks... we have a rookie quarterback and a first year coordinator who has never done it before at a professional level

What you say is correct.

I would also say the uptempo offense is not why this offense wreaked all day Sunday and most of the previous Sunday. The playcalling itself, as far as I see it, is what wreaks. Couple THAT with a rookie QB AND a line with a big hole at guard and you have problems.

I am holding out hope the playcalling gets better (we know EJ will improve) and that the uptempo actually minimizes some weaknesses, as Gailey's offense did.

Edited by Just in Atlanta

The up tempo offense is working fine in the sense they are getting to the line quickly with few mistakes. However, once at the line they seem to have some problems. On offense they have nullified 61 yards of gains and stalled five drives with penalties.

I see more of a problem with CJ Spiller not getting the YPC average he got last year. Last season 6.0, and this season 3.4. That 3.4 would be more like 2.54 by taking away one singular 46 yard run. 42 attempts for 107= 2.54

Should the Bills get that running game going with CJ Spiller getting his 6.0 YPC avg again, and a dearth of problems on offense would be solved.

Edited by FeartheLosing

The indecisiveness is what is killing EJ and CJ, and the poor blocking is leaving even less time to make decisions, or no options. I don't really blame CJ. He has proven himself to be excellent when there are decent holes. It's on EJ to take advantage of defenses keying on Spiller.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

this threading is pretty well educated. i respect alot of post here so far.

I say no. let Hackett do his thing , let the team find their rythym . If they nail it they might be dominating but it wont be tomorrow.

Hang tight and stay tuned. Coaching is waiting for the players to execute better is my guess too. Is the semi hard headed method correct ?

Tune in next week ! Same Bat channel same Bat time !