What is your favorite Bills memory

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many from which to choose, but one that really stands out is 1981, Roland Hooks catches a Big Ben TD on the last play of the game against the Pats. Listening on the radio at home (blackouts were the rule, not the exception back then, kids) with my Dad... Van Miller says... "Ferguson, back to pass... sets up... throws for the end zone.... and it's [eternal pause]... CAUGHT FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!

Four words that make a chilly Sunday afternoon in November magical.

Lots of memories to choose from, but I'll go with a rather nondescript game from the JP era. I was home from college for Thanksgiving break and we had one of those freak 65 degree blue sky days in late November. Just remember the weather, friends, nice tailgate and a last second field goal to give the Bills a victory over the Jags. Perfect day at the Ralph.

I've got two. First was the 1988 game vs. the Jets where we clinched the AFC East title. I was 8, and had just started taking an interest in football, and my Dad took me to the game, my first. I had been rooting for the Jets that season (I was born in Manhattan and raised around the city) and my Dad was a lifelong Bills fan, he grew up in Cheektowaga. I remember being totally overwhelmed by just about everything at the stadium, and by halftime I was rooting for the Bills. Smerlas blocked a field goal to send the game to overtime, and after we won the fans rushed the field and tore down the goal posts. An awesome first game.

My second best memory was the playoff game in 1990 against the Raiders, winning 51-3. Again went to the game with my Dad, and the drive home is probably the happiest I ever remember us both being as a kid. I remember listening to the post game on the way home and finding out later that we were playing the Giants. We were so confident that we could not lose.

So many from which to choose, but one that really stands out is 1981, Roland Hooks catches a Big Ben TD on the last play of the game against the Pats. Listening on the radio at home (blackouts were the rule, not the exception back then, kids) with my Dad... Van Miller says... "Ferguson, back to pass... sets up... throws for the end zone.... and it's [eternal pause]... CAUGHT FOR THE TOUCHDOWN!

Four words that make a chilly Sunday afternoon in November magical.

Good call: an oft overlooked game that began a winning streak for a playoff spot. I seem to recall Hooks making a spectacular diving catch to get the Bills in position for that Hail Mary.

Good call: an oft overlooked game that began a winning streak for a playoff spot. I seem to recall Hooks making a spectacular diving catch to get the Bills in position for that Hail Mary.

Yes I believe it was two consecutive 36-yard gains and the first play that you mentioned was a more difficult play than the hail mary if I recall correctly.

Mine was the Bills blowing out the Raiders 51-3 earning their first trip to the Super Bowl

The comeback is right there but couldnt be much higher after that Raiders game, thought a Super Bowl win was on its way

Sam Adams high stepping down the sideline with what seemed like the entire team is one of my favorite moments

Edited by Max997

Hard to say but the one that was probably most important to me at the time was the Wild Card win over the Jets in 1981; first playoff game I can remember. Bills jumped out to a huge first half lead, Jets come way back and have the ball deep in Buffalo terrority in position for a winning TD. Goal line INT (Bill Simpson IIRC) preserves the win.

51-3 is up there too....that game was a coronation.

There's so many to remember. My first game was against the Eagles in the early 90s. Lifting caught a very long TD pass on (I think) the first okay from scrimmage.

Pats comeback game

Raider comeback game (both of them)

Raiders 51-3 (wasn't there but I remember it)

Dallas Monday night

These first 2 weeks for sure.

My favorite Bills memory is Don Beebe racing down the field to strip the ball from Leon Lett's grasp at the goal line in the Super Bowl.

I consider it to be the quintessential Buffalo Bills moment: hopelessly behind in the game, against all odds, with no realistic chance of succeeding, Beebe brought honor to himself and his team. It was the ultimate moral victory for a team and a town who have yet to achieve "real" victory in the ultimate football game.

In the 60's the Bills held summer practice at the old Camelot Hotel in Blasdell. When our summer baseball league practice would get rained out, our coach would run us by the hotel to see if we could see some of the practice or get autographs. One particular rain out, it even rained out their practice. As we were leaving, a very large man stepped out of the hotel and walked through the parking lot to his car. One of the kids in our group shouted to him, ",,,,,Hey, Are you a Buffalo Bill?" The very large man responded, "No, I am an Ex-Buffalo Bill.....My name is Tom Day." He signed autographs, talked football, baseball, and living a good life. May God bless his soul!!!

3. Bills-Raiders 1990 2. Bills-Broncos 1990 3. Bills-Oilers playoff game '92 season had season tickets '87-'95, went to all the great ones. How bout Bills-Jets 1988. BTW does anyone else have Windows 8 and your enter button doesn't work on this site??

Add to that the 12/64 & 12/65 AFL Championship games! Good times and great memories!

October 5, 1998. I brought my dad to the game. It was my second game and his first. We were playing the 49ers. Bills were (0-3); SF was (3-0).

We got to the hotel (econolodge on milestrip) and the mood was bright. Everyone was in high spirits, drinking beer and throwing footballs. We all talked about how cool it was going to be to see Jerry Rice and Steve Young. Who cared if we lost? We were still gonna have fun!

Well our Bills ... our Rob Johnson-led Bills ... weren't laying down ....

I found this summary online just now ...

October 4, 1998: Bills 26, 49ers 21

Another Niners game and another 300-plus yard, 3 TD performance by Steve Young (man that guy was good). This time, however, the Bills had the Niners shut out until the fourth quarter, and a 23-point lead thanks to three Steve Christie field goals, an Antowain Smith TD run and a Quinn Early TD pass from Rob Johnson. San Fran came roaring back with 3 scores in the final quarter, but their rally fell short in the end. Some cocky young WR named Terrell Owens had 4 catches for 69 yards for the Niners in this one.

This year's home opener is a close 2nd. Between the TBD tailgate (my first), EJ's debut, EJ's first TD and knowing we had those slimy bastards on the ropes for 3+ quarters ... it was one hell of an experience.

Go Bills!!!!!!!!!